• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

GAS!

If you had all SVT engine parts and PCM except for the pistons, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

you most certainly can tell a difference. My SE with SVT parts minus pistons and flywheel/clutch had about 10 more ft-lbs torque then my SVT does, horsepower was about the same.

also the cars had a completely difference feel and character to them, but that might have been in part to the trubendz exhaust on my SE.

Also once I installed the SVT parts and PCM I ran premium in the car, still do with the 3L. And I prefer to as I don't have a knock sensor.

my dad put some mid grade in mine while I was out of town once. I get home, start the car, it ran for about 15 seconds then sputtered and shut off. On my way to the gas station to top off with permium I had to keep my foot on the gas when sitting at stop lights to keep the rev's up so I wouldnt stall.........

my dad put some mid grade in mine while I was out of town once. I get home, start the car, it ran for about 15 seconds then sputtered and shut off. On my way to the gas station to top off with permium I had to keep my foot on the gas when sitting at stop lights to keep the rev's up so I wouldnt stall.........

Something else was going on or he filled it with very very bad gas. The manual says you can use lower grades and the computer will compensate.

this is interesting..! im from across the pond and firstly i pay £1.16 per LITER of fuel so about $8.15 per gallon..and u think u have it bad!! thats for non premium aswell...altho, our standard fuel is 95 octane and our premium is 98/100 octane, prob why my standard st24 non-svt pulls 172bhp from standard, compared to the american equivalent!!

this is interesting..! im from across the pond and firstly i pay £1.16 per LITER of fuel so about $8.15 per gallon..and u think u have it bad!!
Well, obviously not as bad as you guys YET but i have to wonder how you guys can afford it sometimes. Either you guys make way more money than we do, or have to budget a bigger part of your income for gas meaning you have to forego other things or don't have to drive as far as some of us have to for work, etc.
Karl

this is interesting..! im from across the pond and firstly i pay £1.16 per LITER of fuel so about $8.15 per gallon..and u think u have it bad!! thats for non premium aswell...altho, our standard fuel is 95 octane and our premium is 98/100 octane, prob why my standard st24 non-svt pulls 172bhp from standard, compared to the american equivalent!!

So sorry mr. englishman. Forgive us poor Americans for :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:ing about having to pay 4 times more per gallon than we did just 5 years ago. Your country is smaller than my state...

our standard fuel is 95 octane and our premium is 98/100 octane, prob why my standard st24 non-svt pulls 172bhp from standard, compared to the american equivalent!!

But thats not the same octane as it is here. I was just reading an article about octane here vs there and thats why on our pumps it says r+m/2 because of the difference in how the US measures octane.

oh ok cool, i didnt realise they both had different octane count in each variant across the pond although, is our octane still slightly higher just cos everytime a modified or most standar american cars are brought over here they usually make between 20-60 more bhp?? any ideas? oh and 'TX00SVT' are u trying to be sarcastic?? cos that is lame and pointless due to the fact that i wasnt even complaining or having a go at anyone/thing i was simply stating facts..oh and i like the fact that my country is smaller than ur state for many reasons

I am the most sarcastic person you will ever meet. However, I was somewhat serious. I appreciate that your gas is even more ridiculously expensive than ours, but it has ALWAYS been more and the fact is still the same that the price is up about 350% over the last few years.

oh ok cool, i didnt realise they both had different octane count in each variant across the pond although, is our octane still slightly higher just cos everytime a modified or most standar american cars are brought over here they usually make between 20-60 more bhp?? any ideas?

Higher octane doesnt equal more power so they are either turning up the boost or adding something else to make more power once they get over there.

?? im pretty sure higher octane fuel equates to more performance..? otherwise why would ford or any other sport/performance car require the higher octane fuel, except for the fact that they require it sometimes..many dyno tests have been carried out in last months issue of a performance car magazine testing all the fuels against each other, proving how much of a difference in power simply increasing the octane and providing a better fuel actually does. between a standard fuel and one of our premium fuels (95 vs 98 octane) the power was someone between 7-11bhp, but carried out 2/3 times to prove any inconsistencies..who knows, maybe im wrong..!

you most certainly can tell a difference. My SE with SVT parts minus pistons and flywheel/clutch had about 10 more ft-lbs torque then my SVT does, horsepower was about the same.

I think he's referring to the fact that you wouldn't notice a difference between a full SVT engine and one that has all SVT components minus the pistons (compression difference doesn't make much of the extra 30hp basically). At least thats how I interpreted it.

As for gas I only ever use premium in the SVT. In the cougar I have both an 87 and a 91 tune, I like filling it with premium from time to time for fun, it's only about 15 cents more per gallon here and as gas goes up, the price ratio between premium and regular gets better and better.

Back when it cost $2.00/gallon for regular and premium was $2.15/gallon it was 7.5% (15 cents) more to buy premium. Now that it's $4.00/gallon and premium is $4.15/gallon it only costs 3.75% more to buy premium (still 15 cents). So now you just need 3.75% better fuel economy with the premium and it'll pay for itself, where before you would've needed to get 7.5% better fuel economy (in my example). So lets say you get 28 mpg on the highway on regular, all you need is roughly 29 mpg highway on premium and it's not costing you any more money to get the same number of miles.

?? im pretty sure higher octane fuel equates to more performance..?

You wont gain anything from just adding higher octane fuel to a car. You can however change the tuning to utilize that extra octane or raise your boost to make more power. The reason some cars need more octane is because they have higher compression, advanced timing and/or boost pressure compared to the normal model.

it's only about 15 cents more per gallon here and as gas goes up, the price ratio between premium and regular gets better and better. Back when it cost $2.00/gallon for regular and premium was $2.15/gallon it was 7.5% (15 cents) more to buy premium.

Thats not normal pricing at all. Whats the midgrade cost difference?

Thats not normal pricing at all. Whats the midgrade cost difference?

There is no difference at the holiday by my house mid-grade is the same price as regular :) I was just giving an example. It might be closer to 20 cents more for premium and around 10 cents for midgrade but that's about it.

Back