• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Ford Racing Performance Short Throw Shifter GB!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I covered this ;)

I have a Steeda knob and it will not thread onto the FRPP shifter. Its wierd but I will have to track down a new shift knob.
-tropictour

How many turns did your nob go on? Reason why I'm asking is b/c it seems the Ford Racing shifter threads are different than the Steeda. I sold Tropictour my brand new steeda nob that I had tried on my Steeda when I got it. It fit perfect. My stock SVT nob also fit perfect on the Steeda. Now I have a Cougar nob on my Steeda and it also fits perfect. However Tropictour said the Steeda nob I sent him only twisted on about two turns on his Ford Racing shifter. So as a result it seems the threads between the Steeda and Ford Racing are different. If your nob isn't screwed down all the way this could explain the gap between the reverse lockout.

So I have a question concerning that shifter after the installation. First of all, I didn't replace the centering spring, and mine works just fine. It actually still centers itself, so yeah i don't know. Secondly. 1, 3, and 5 don't seem like they go in all the way. They are definitly in gear and there is no driveability issue, but you can still push it up with some resistance and it seems like it is streching on the cables or something. IDK, if anyone has any ideas, maybe i did something wrong, I don't think so however because I just drove 300 miles without a problem. Thanks!

-Jon

I posted a Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter for sale in the classifieds. SOLD. Thanks

Last edited:
I posted a Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter for sale in the classifieds. SOLD. Thanks

Ouch!

I missed this one. If anyone else that got into the group buy decides they don't want theirs anymore, PM me.

In the meantime, I'm looking for a donor for a stock shifter. I want to pursue modifying it. I'm thinking the lower ball can be moved down an equal amount to the Steeda/Ford Racing shifter. Once I find a donor I will take pictures and keep you posted.

Has anyone measured the difference in the lower ball position? I'm guessing it is 1/4", same as the spacer.

Are you saying that you want someone to donate a stock shifter for you to play w/ , If so shoot me a pm w/ your info & I'll try to send you a stocker. I also have another on of the Ford Racing Shifters out so I can measure the bottom of it also if you want!

does anyone have the dimentions for the 2000 plate??

I measured a plate that was made up, but the dimensions were no where near symetrical. So, I did not want to get a bunch of plates made up and have them all wrong.

Can you just take off the original plate - turn it over and reinstall it upside down?

Paul

That is a completely different shifter. It is shorter on top and bottom. I would be leery about the quality. There is no manufacturer listed, and they are very specific about how once you buy it the transaction is completely over and you have no recourse.

If you get it let us know how it goes.

Yes, you can use Focus shifters. That is what the Steeda and Ford Performance shifters were. Just if the bottom part of the shifter was lengthened you will need a riser plate.

Hey, I'm not sure who is making the riser plates for this GB, but CEG'er scottd60 had them made for the Steeda's previous GB's. Maybe someone can get in touch with him for the blueprints. I bought in on the first GB and and bought one of the plates. The shifter and riser plate are both very nicely made.

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

I guess nobody could get a hold of Scottd60, so I had some for the 98/99's made.

This is a prototype, but they were similar:

Steeda_Plate2.jpg

There was a group buy for them as well. I still have like six of them left if anyone needs one. Comes with the new longer bolts and a template for cutting out the spring area on the shift tower.

Here is a link to the group buy: Riser Plate

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back