• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Ford Racing Performance Parts Short Throw Shifter Install How-To

also the 2k tower the shifter sits in is all plastic also iirc ...

It is Plastic

DSC_0198.jpg

I will go ahead and order the 98-99 plates. Then I will look into making a plate for the 2000s. It would probably end up expensive, so maybe just some spacers or something. I am hopefully still meeting with Tropictour in the morning.

Bolts anyone?

Bolts anyone?

I'm having a tough time finding allen bolts or torx bolts in a M6 x 1.0 pitch x 60mm. All of the ACE hardware stores around me have failed. The longest allen bolt they have in an M6 x 1.0 pitch is a 50mm, which is way to short. I guess I could try a Fastenal, but then I would have to buy in bulk at a qty of 100. However if it's my only choice.... Bugzuki you supply the riser plates I'll supply you the bolts to send with them lol.

Bugzuki you supply the riser plates I'll supply you the bolts to send with them lol.

We could do that if you want to get them now, or I could just get them and send them to you with your new plate.

It's a lot of work keeping up will all three of these threads, and answering all the questions.

Tell me about it.

I wish I would have just started a questions thread for the short shifter and the riser plate. That way the group buys would not have become so cluttered with questions. Oh well I guess. Live and learn.

I think I'll let you just take care of the riser plates and bolts. I don't want to complicate things for you. If I bought the bolts I would then have to send the rest of them to you (which would be somewhat heavy) and then we would have to figure out rembuirsement for the cost, yada yada. I'd rather not mess with it. I can make do with what I have until the production plate comes along. Thanks for working out the details on the riser plate. I should send you the Steeda shift assist spring so that you can verify that it works on the 2000 models. Or maybe someone else can verify that since I know there has to be someone running a 2000 with a Steeda shifter?

Has anyone bent one of these to match the bend of the stock shifter?

why :shrug: that defetes the purpose of the shifter ... and it alot taller then the B&M so its still easy to reach .... beside the reverse lock out wouldn't work if you bent the shifter like stock ...

How would that defeat the purpose of the shifter???

All it would do is move the knob back to the stock position...

yeah I guess our right ... I wonder if the force needed to shift is less since the shifter is straight over if it is bent ...

have you guys with the steeda shifter had problems reaching it?

for me no, like I said is isn't anywhere near as short as the B&M, overall its like an inch or so shorter then stock but the throws of course are short and crisp ...

The contour Reverse lock out is hinged so that it works around the bend. The steeda lock out is solid. If you wanted to bend the steeda shifter you would have to figure out how to shorten the top part of the stock lock out. Probably not really worth the effort unless you hit your fingers on the dash while shifting.

does any one have a pic of ewhat you need to grind off? that would help me out a lil bit
do you see the slots in the red circle? you make them bigger. also if you cut out the template and put it up to the shift tower you will see how it lines up perfectly with the sides and shapes of the shift tower. you will see what I'm talking about when you do it. your going to need to remove the center console and the cigarette lighter/cup holder console to see what your doing.
shift3iv1.jpg

Back