• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Engine Performance

markrevo121

New CEG'er
i have a 98 svt contour. im looking for some options to upgrade the performance of it.
already have a k&n short ram intake, magnaflow cat-back exhaust, BAT euro handling kit.

please give me some advice or lead me in the right direction to get that extra horsepower.
i am not putting a turbo on it or swapping the motor for a 3L taurus. i just did a motor swap and got a stock SVT motor with 35K. i found some msds headers, some injectors, and the piggy-back system for it. please give me some feedback on those 3 things and tell me about some other good investments.

short ram intake's are good cause the air path is short and stright but whats realy bad is the air that its getting is 220 degrees or what ever your under hood temp is. call nautilus and tell joey you want him to make you the older cai....read my thread on here that says new nautilus cai is sad for more info on this....for every 11 degrees in drop you gain 1hp

-Headers (msds)
-Y-pipe (trubendz)
-Catback (i like the stock one..just remove the resonator and put in a magnaflow = best bang for the buck catback.)
-Optimized throttle body. (Check classifieds...or send me yours)
-UIM removal and cleaning. (remove the carbon buildup blocking the runners and lower butterflies)
- Pulleys, (crank,alternator,power steering)

Thats it for bolt ons. The next step.....3L or FI.

i have a 98 svt contour. im looking for some options to upgrade the performance of it.
already have a k&n short ram intake, magnaflow cat-back exhaust, BAT euro handling kit.

please give me some advice or lead me in the right direction to get that extra horsepower.
i am not putting a turbo on it or swapping the motor for a 3L taurus. i just did a motor swap and got a stock SVT motor with 35K. i found some msds headers, some injectors, and the piggy-back system for it. please give me some feedback on those 3 things and tell me about some other good investments.

Injectors aren't going to do a thing for a N/A 2.5, so dont waste your money with that. What is the piggy back system?

Harry pretty much nailed it. Also, I'd look at getting an Xcal tuner (2 or 3) and a dyno tune to squeeze out the extra hp.

short ram intake's are good cause the air path is short and stright but whats realy bad is the air that its getting is 220 degrees or what ever your under hood temp is. call nautilus and tell joey you want him to make you the older cai....read my thread on here that says new nautilus cai is sad for more info on this....for every 11 degrees in drop you gain 1hp

Or you could do this with the short ram:

WatkinsGlen008.jpg

WatkinsGlen009.jpg

Noticably cooler intake temps just by feel. I felt filter and the inside of the heatshield and they were, like I said, noticably cooler. So my engine is sucking in anywhere near as much hot air :).

-Headers (msds)
-Y-pipe (trubendz)
-Catback (i like the stock one..just remove the resonator and put in a magnaflow = best bang for the buck catback.)
-Optimized throttle body. (Check classifieds...or send me yours)
-UIM removal and cleaning. (remove the carbon buildup blocking the runners and lower butterflies)
- Pulleys, (crank,alternator,power steering)

Thats it for bolt ons. The next step.....3L or FI.

Don't forget about the Fidanza lightened flywheel. Definitely not a quick bolt-on but pulling the motor/transaxle to install the flywheel would make the header install less of a headache on its own.

Don't forget about the Fidanza lightened flywheel. Definitely not a quick bolt-on but pulling the motor/transaxle to install the flywheel would make the header install less of a headache on its own.

For all that work...fug the fidanza...i would just swap in a 3l. :)

Back