• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Trunk struts question

I researched and found that there are 2 kinds of struts, one with a spoiler and one without. I do not have a spoiler and wondering what would happen if I used the trunk struts for spoiler equipped cars.

I didnt know they offered a different strut. I put Dynamat in my trunk and now the lid is heavier.... I should check in to a set of those.

The spoiler ones just probably have more pressure, meaning that as it slowly leaks down (ain't seen one that didn't) they will last longer. Spoiler ones maybe cheaper because less turnover in part. They gotta get rid of them or eat them. These cars getting long in the tooth, you can be sure somebody's looking at their warehouse full of struts and trying to figure out how to get rid of them. I remember Tempo rod ends costing $30 early on. At end of car life I got them for $15. Same on rear brake drums, dropped from $25 to $10. They gotta clear them shelves for the new stuff.

I just installed a set of Monroe supports for a trunk w/ spoiler, they're definately strong enough for the job, my only concern is that they lift with so much force that the trunk bounces once it reaches the top of it's travel.

~Mike~

I put new struts on (w/ spolier) when I had my trunk with spoiler, then changed the truck to the CF nascar one, and it's not terrible to close, but defiantly very firm. Despite this, it still won't raise up by itself :cry:

I put new struts on (w/ spolier) when I had my trunk with spoiler, then changed the truck to the CF nascar one, and it's not terrible to close, but defiantly very firm. Despite this, it still won't raise up by itself :cry:

Trunk will not pop open no matter what strut you install. This is the fix for that as long as your struts are not blown out.
http://contour.org/FAQ/FAQ.php?s=probs&displayid=28

So by installing that, will my trunk literally pop open when i hit "trunk" on the keyfob, ala the Volvo?

The little assist spring will not cause the trunk lid to open all the way up, it just lifts the lid about an inch, enough to clear it from the latch so it doesn't immediately lock again. I have that assist spring and it is a worthy upgrade, but, no, it will not pop the trunk lid with sufficient force to make the lid open fully. If the struts are stiff enough, maybe.

Back