• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Dyno tuned today.......

the difference is so small but it is a difference. i guess its all personal preference. you will gain the peak HP but you do lose peak torque and a little bit of (IMO) usable power.

i like this setup now, i just want a tiny bit more up top, which i think i can gain with a better UIM. i was comparing the escape manifold (mazda 6 is the same thing) to the taurus 2004 and it looks like the escape manifold really hurts the torque from 4000-6000. i can't see losing that for a couple HP up top. but maybe my engine will respond to it better. i'd like to try it out either way. its only 114 bucks new :shrug:

the difference is so small but it is a difference. i guess its all personal preference. you will gain the peak HP but you do lose peak torque and a little bit of (IMO) usable power.

i like this setup now, i just want a tiny bit more up top, which i think i can gain with a better UIM. i was comparing the escape manifold (mazda 6 is the same thing) to the taurus 2004 and it looks like the escape manifold really hurts the torque from 4000-6000. i can't see losing that for a couple HP up top. but maybe my engine will respond to it better. i'd like to try it out either way. its only 114 bucks new :shrug:

you spent 90 on a splitter, why not!

because an intake manifold change is more than just bolting it on and "feeling it out".

to get the max potential of any manifold, you gotta tune for it. now it will run fine with whatever i put on it, but you cant just bolt up two different manifolds with the same tune and expect to see a real good comparison.

because an intake manifold change is more than just bolting it on and "feeling it out".

to get the max potential of any manifold, you gotta tune for it. now it will run fine with whatever i put on it, but you cant just bolt up two different manifolds with the same tune and expect to see a real good comparison.

I agree, my current tune with the ST220 is interesting. I definatly feel the pull in the top end, but yes a tune would be so much better. I am very curious to know what I will dyno with the current tune.

Aaron

I agree, my current tune with the ST220 is interesting. I definatly feel the pull in the top end, but yes a tune would be so much better. I am very curious to know what I will dyno with the current tune.

Aaron

that ST220 manifold is such a huge change in flow, your going to need a huge tune change to get it right. i bet right now, you've lost tons of midrange, but you'll get it right back, along with more top end with a tune.

according to my tuner, (who is awesome btw) tells me that any change from the throttle body plate to the heads, needs to be tuned. any intake change (other than MAF changes) doesnt require a tune. exhaust doesnt either, unless its a drastic change.

i'm probably gonna do a COP swap (if my msd will work with it), escape manifold, and true dual exhaust and retune it. hopefully i can get 230+ with that, but i dunno. i'm scraping for 1hp nowdays :D

that ST220 manifold is such a huge change in flow, your going to need a huge tune change to get it right. i bet right now, you've lost tons of midrange, but you'll get it right back, along with more top end with a tune.

according to my tuner, (who is awesome btw) tells me that any change from the throttle body plate to the heads, needs to be tuned. any intake change (other than MAF changes) doesnt require a tune. exhaust doesnt either, unless its a drastic change.

:D

Actually my midrange is still great and the upper end power is sweet, I lost some of my low end power. Yeah I can't wait to get a tune (well just get my tune re-worked). Time to save up some money and get it done.

Aaron

Changing the manifold is not going to require a "huge" change in the tune. For one the Maf sensor compensates for airflow. If your already tuned for a full 3l it won't make that much of difference tune wise for a st220. Its a minor change at best. You can adjust manifold volumes, you may see some benefit there for driveability. I had to mess with manifold volumes, but it was a litte different being turbo and the maf not in the stock location. The last full 3l we tuned had a st220 upper and lower, I don't think we adjusted volumes at all, maybe a little don't recall.

Changing the manifold is not going to require a "huge" change in the tune. For one the Maf sensor compensates for airflow. If your already tuned for a full 3l it won't make that much of difference tune wise for a st220. Its a minor change at best. You can adjust manifold volumes, you may see some benefit there for driveability. I had to mess with manifold volumes, but it was a litte different being turbo and the maf not in the stock location. The last full 3l we tuned had a st220 upper and lower, I don't think we adjusted volumes at all, maybe a little don't recall.
I agree on the minor tune change.
And we're going to need more info/results on that last statement :laugh:
-J

Sorry nothing to really tell. We did a street tune on it just to make sure everything was working well. Car ran good for sure.

I have been looking up info on a DynoDynamics dyno and am a little confused and or shocked. It seems these things read very low compaired to a Dynojet. Like around 15% lower. :shocked: Can that be right?

I have been looking up info on a DynoDynamics dyno and am a little confused and or shocked. It seems these things read very low compaired to a Dynojet. Like around 15% lower. :shocked: Can that be right?

yes. thats' why when i said i wanted 250 whp, my tuner told me to just drive down the street. i'll put down 230+ on this dyno and then see how i do on a dynojet. :D

yes. thats' why when i said i wanted 250 whp, my tuner told me to just drive down the street. i'll put down 230+ on this dyno and then see how i do on a dynojet. :D

Remember, you have to go on the same day other wise everyone will be yelling about different air temps etc being the cause for a 15% jump lol

Back