• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

dpfe sensor problem

be honest there, Brapple...when we were both in fourth it was dead even ;) Anyone know why only the one side of the DPFE melted? Seems figuring out why that side is so hot would help track down the problem. Also, your turbo even with the jacket read somewhere like 289 degrees while mine was around 190. Like Joey said, figure out what your true reading is at WOT and pull the plugs to see what's happening...

and you never told me you blew your wastegate gasket...which side and why would that happen?

and you never told me you blew your wastegate gasket...which side and why would that happen?

happens quite frequently actually to turbod cars. seems the wastegate sees a lotta pressure. my bud's srt blew his twice. most turbo kits come with the cardboard n mesh type gaskets. i've replaced mine with metal ones. no probs since then:cool:

be honest there, Brapple...when we were both in fourth it was dead even ;) Anyone know why only the one side of the DPFE melted? Seems figuring out why that side is so hot would help track down the problem. Also, your turbo even with the jacket read somewhere like 289 degrees while mine was around 190. Like Joey said, figure out what your true reading is at WOT and pull the plugs to see what's happening...

well it turn out that bank 2 is running rich and according to joey the pcm is pulling fuel and this is causing bank 1 to go lean and produce extra heat which we believe melted the sensor.

pulling the plugs today and the UIM to check the fuel injectors. Going to re-seal the buzuiki plates also for good measure as I think there is a vacuum leak somewhere that is causing my high idea, but it doesn't happen all the time. Although it does happen alot more with the heat.

as for the wastegate the first time was my fault as the bolts where not tight enough. the second time was at the same point since I used the the other original gasket. It happened on th eup-pipe side of the wastegate.

ok so it appears that bank 2 is running rich and bank 1 is leaning out at high rpm. I did get a P0175 - bank 2 rich code.

I need to check the plugs and fuel injectors and look for a vacuum leak on bank 1. I am leaning towards a vacuum leak since the car has been idling high, as of yesterday 1500 rpm.

should I be looking at anything else?

I am also thinking about changing the O2 sensors for good measure since one is original and one is a replacment.

i'm coming late to the party, but yes, brapple, i have the same problem. i am using a Magnaflow hi-flow cat with a Borla dual exhaust. for tuning, i should have gone with a test pipe. the cat is probably cooked by now.

whenever i get into boost i blow the larger hose off my DPFE. i tried to install corbin clamps on the hose, but the ones I was using are cheap and they deform. :rolleyes:

say, anybody install a check valve inline with the PCV valve? i am thinking my stock PCV valve is not sealing fully under boost.

i'm coming late to the party, but yes, brapple, i have the same problem. i am using a Magnaflow hi-flow cat with a Borla dual exhaust. for tuning, i should have gone with a test pipe. the cat is probably cooked by now.

well I am getting a test pipe now and will hold onto this cat pipe for emissions testing later on, just need it to visually be there as the car would have OBDII emissions testing.

ok, so I ripped down the intake and resealed the buzuili plates. I then zip tired all of the vacuum lines off of the UIM. I ran the car at 3psi and 8 psi, A/F from what I could tell from the data logging was 11.8~12.2 at wot. However at 8psi the larger dpfe sensor hose still blew off.

Now I believe I also found part of the problem, my bank 2 O2 sensor is shot, it is after all the original sensor. At idle it pretty much stays at .2xx volts ... so the pcm adds fuel to richen it up. So tomorrow is a new O2 sensor. I believe this is why I got the P0175.

Also I am not sure if it was the realative cooler weather when compared to the weekend or what I did this afternoon but at either 3 or 8 psi it was an animal tonight. 8psi in 3rd gear just wanted to break, it was pretty nuts.

so this weekend I have a test pipe to get rid of the cat and I will see how it goes from there.

I didn't realize they actually made plastic dpfe sensors. Mine is metal and the one I changed for my brother's2k SE were both metal.

Perhaps place a small after market release valve? I know they make them in a number of different psi springs.

I don't have a check valve for my PCV but I did have to go through like 4 of them at the parts store to find one that sealed well.

Even the brand new ones I tried a dealership wouldnt seal for crap when I blew through them.

I don't have a check valve for my PCV but I did have to go through like 4 of them at the parts store to find one that sealed well.

Even the brand new ones I tried a dealership wouldnt seal for crap when I blew through them.

thanks. i'm either going to install a check valve or a PCV valve from a turbo supra.

Now I believe I also found part of the problem, my bank 2 O2 sensor is shot, it is after all the original sensor. At idle it pretty much stays at .2xx volts ... so the pcm adds fuel to richen it up. So tomorrow is a new O2 sensor. I believe this is why I got the P0175.

doh! that was the down stream sensor not the bank 2 O2 sensor. I changed it anyway and now the fuel trims are equal so I think everything is all set now...

also its pretty much instant when the dpfe sensor hoses blow off. I turned the boost back up to 8 psi and as soon as I started accelerating the hoses popped off ...

also its pretty much instant when the dpfe sensor hoses blow off. I turned the boost back up to 8 psi and as soon as I started accelerating the hoses popped off ...

clamp 'em down, dude. then tell us what CELs you still have. glad you resolved the P0175. if that was still a problem, you could have got a tune from Joey where he disables fuel trim adjustment by the PCM.

clamp 'em down, dude. then tell us what CELs you still have. glad you resolved the P0175. if that was still a problem, you could have got a tune from Joey where he disables fuel trim adjustment by the PCM.

I have a test tune that I am going to be data logging with to make sure everything is all right. just want to install the test pipe first.

Brian, sorry for hijacking a little, just addressing a statement from above.

If you are going to use a non-contour PCV I would go with one from a Turbo Thunderbird before I went Toyota. Might even have good luck with one out of a Lightning.

if anybody wants a metal DPFE, shoot me a PM this week.
justinspics012.jpg

Back