• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3L build

I have never pulled my engine nor installed a turbo kit in a contour so don't take my word for it...but it would probably be at least a little bit easier to install the kit with the motor out vs the motor in... But what do I know? I wish I had the funds to be able to afford such fun toys. I JUST got my car paid off...now I have to save for flight school. Yep, gonna be broke for the next couple of years. I just hope my tranny lasts that long.

Well, my beloved tour has been sitting since june due to blown 2.5. I've finally gathered all my parts (i think) for my 3L build. Should begin this week if my helper comes through for me.

think i should get anotha one of these?
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa316/geejay4ever/3L012.jpg

Nice pile of parts! And your helper is trying to pull a miracle as we speak to get to Vegas and get this thing done in the scheduled time frame! :)

Couple things though that I am not sure we went over...

Do you have headers, or did you get headers to get the best possible flow to your turbo? I guess we could gut your precats in your stock manifolds, but I would prefer not to put stock manifolds with precats for use with the turbo kit as I fear the precats may throw off the wideband and mess up the accuracy of it.

Also, do you have the LIM ready to go?

And lastly, do you have a DMD on your 2.5 or is it the stock crank harmonic balancer? You don't have to worry about that one on the 3L as we will use the one from your 2.5, although I would recommend getting the DMD (Dual Mode Dampener). I have a puller for the harmonic balancer and all that good stuff so you don't need to worry about any of that. Look into getting a DMD WITH the BOLT though. PM me with any questions about that.

Other than that, it looks and sounds like you are almost good to go, just waiting on helping hands! I need to get my butt of CEG and go finish up my SE for the trip and make sure that I won't lose my job when I come back home! That would be bad. :)

Just be prepared for about 35 runs to the nearest parts/hardware store. :D I can't wait for you to feel the power! Are we mounting the wideband how I had it in my old car?

SVTPicsatApartment008.jpg

Nice 3.0T badge!

Reebs

Reebs

I love the 3LT badge! good luck on the project and cant wait to see it together with some numbers!

I have never pulled my engine nor installed a turbo kit in a contour so don't take my word for it...but it would probably be at least a little bit easier to install the kit with the motor out vs the motor in... But what do I know? I wish I had the funds to be able to afford such fun toys. I JUST got my car paid off...now I have to save for flight school. Yep, gonna be broke for the next couple of years. I just hope my tranny lasts that long.

on paper it sounds like u should be able to install the turbo with the motor out. But its so cramped in there, that i don't see how u would be able to do that. Now that i know where everything goes, it shouldnt be that hard to put it all back together. tricky thing last time was figuring out the vaccum lines for optimal boost. My mechanic n i routed it so we only had about 5lbs of boost until joey told us how to do it right.

on paper it sounds like u should be able to install the turbo with the motor out. But its so cramped in there, that i don't see how u would be able to do that. Now that i know where everything goes, it shouldnt be that hard to put it all back together. tricky thing last time was figuring out the vaccum lines for optimal boost. My mechanic n i routed it so we only had about 5lbs of boost until joey told us how to do it right.

Like I said...what do I know?! Haha...

Wow, I am debating on the same thing. My 2.5 threw a rod so I'm curious to upgrade to a 3L or just get another 2.5. Good luck with the swap. That's going to pull hard!:laugh:

Wow, I am debating on the same thing. My 2.5 threw a rod so I'm curious to upgrade to a 3L or just get another 2.5. Good luck with the swap. That's going to pull hard!:laugh:

If you have an SVT, it's significantly cheaper to go with a 3.0. My mechanic couldn't find a low milage SVT engine for less than $1500, but 3.0s can easily be found for under $500.

ok, heres da update; Unfortunately ma build wasnt able to start last week. plans break all the time right? Well, i'll start things off on the 31st till my helper arrives the next day. By the end of the weekend, we should be done,... hopefully. Till then, i'll be getting the aesthetics looking good. e.g, hightowers, evo hood, sf oval etc. :)

:shocked: Your going all the way to Vegas to help him??!

I was supposed to go last week but I had some issues arise with work and with my transportation. I have family in vegas and so I go down there all the time. He has another helper lined up now to help him and I am trying to make it down that same week. Nonetheless, I can't wait to ride in his car when I am in Vegas. :D

Back