• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

dpfe sensor problem

BrApple

No Life But CEG
so I seem to be having a problem with my dpfe sensor. this past thursday I installed my mbc and turned it up to 8 psi. after a rip down teh highway I thought that I had the waste gate gasket let go again as I head an exhaust leak. Well checking the car out friday morning I was looking around and noticed that the dpfe tubes on the egr tube had no hoses on them. well come to find out they completly dissapeared :shocked:

So I got another set and went about my weekend heading to carlisle. I drove out there on 3 psi. When I was out there I turned it back to 8 psi and blew the larger dpfe hose off once of twice.

Finally sunday morning the large hose blew off again and took a chunck of the sensor with it I believe.

Would anyone has a reason as to why this would be happening at 8 psi but not 3psi? Only thing I can think of is a problem with the exhaust but the high flow cat is new and I don't know of any problem with my cat back. other then that all I can say about the turbo is it felt fast when the wastegate gasket blew out and it created an exhaust leak.

You may want to run clamps on the lines to keep them on. I don't believe others have posted about this issue though so maybe you have a ton of back pressure due to that new cat. I haven't blown any DPFE lines off at 10psi with my vortech setup. I am not running any cats though.

yeah I figure I could put a clamp on it but if there is a reason for it happening I really need to correct that.

maybe I just need to ditch the cat until I have emissions testing to complete.

there might be something to the added back pressure as at 3psi the car felt like it had more power when it was leaking at the wastegate then when it wasn't.

but I don't believe the power is to far off as against a SVT 2.5L turbo at 6 psi and myself with a 3L and 8psi I never dropped out of 5th while the svt did and I stayed right with him.

Last edited:
theres absolutely no reason ur car should be faster with a leaking wastegate. it probably sounds meaner, true, but not faster. as for the dpfe, am not too sure about clamping them down. doesnt that divert all that pressure somewhere else?

Mine has came off because the exhaust is hotter expanding the hose and the turbine has back pressure under 4k because the turbo is spooling up once it reaches spool the excess exhaust pressure relieves through the wastegate. If you didn't have back pressure then your turbine is too big and would never spool up. This is normal these hoses are not made for turbo car only NA and you are extracting over 340hp of hot burned air expanding fast. Just clamp off the hoses I had to do that on all my turbo cars maybe I need to add that to the instructions......oops Have fun Joey

so what does everyone think?

DSC04738.JPG

DSC04739.JPG

after replacing the hoses the larger one would pop off of the egr tube. sunday morning I put it back on and then floored it getting onto the highway and then is when it let loose. I felt what I thought was an openning in the case when I got to the car show about 5 minutes later. the smaller hose didn't come off at all over the weekend.

Mine has came off because the exhaust is hotter expanding the hose and the turbine has back pressure under 4k because the turbo is spooling up once it reaches spool the excess exhaust pressure relieves through the wastegate. If you didn't have back pressure then your turbine is too big and would never spool up. This is normal these hoses are not made for turbo car only NA and you are extracting over 340hp of hot burned air expanding fast. Just clamp off the hoses I had to do that on all my turbo cars maybe I need to add that to the instructions......oops Have fun Joey

joey has anyone else gotten their kit with a high flow cat? I am wondering if that could be a source of extra backpressure? the borla muffler and magnaflow resonators I got from trubend are straight through designs so I don't think they are an issue.

joey has anyone else gotten their kit with a high flow cat? I am wondering if that could be a source of extra backpressure? the borla muffler and magnaflow resonators I got from trubend are straight through designs so I don't think they are an issue.

Well I know one for sure has the high flow cat with no issues. That sensor is shot you need to get the metal one I think the heat is to much for the sensor you have. I don't think backpressure which is normal is your problem the scroll in a turbo is a huge restriction when it is not spinning once the turbo spool upward the resistance drops and reduces the backpressure. Do you have a wideband because I like to know what is your A/F because I know that Paul the 2.5 you played around with is running 11.6 before tweaking his this weekend but you are loosing alot of power somewhere because a 2.5 liter 7.5 psi puts down 265whp and a 3 liter puts down 7.5 psi puts down 325whp with 70 more pounds of torque too. I think you need to find out what is going on here you may have fuel causing the problems there. So lets start from scratch and pull your plugs make sure there is even burn and I will tell you that a turbo car will be hard to notice problems because it makes so much power even on 4 cylinders .......ask me I know .........lol go ahead and change the sensor add clamps and lets tune the car out. Joey

yeah I do need to do some datalogging as the apexi turbo timer says I am going below 10:1 at wot. I believe the wideband is reading about 12:1. I have the LC-1 controller outputting to my narrow band gauge. But when I was using the software that came with the LC-1 that displays A/F I say it go to 12:1 i do believe. I do know that the car was smoking a decent bit, gas/oil combo according to the people behind me at 8 psi. i didn't notice anything at 3 psi. Also I got a used metal dpfe that I just installed, just need to go to the junkyard for some hoses.

I will check the plugs tomorrow and get some data logging going under load as you instructed before.

also would you be able to make another exhaust pipe so I can remove the cat by swapping that section of exhaust pipe out? pm me how much it would be, thanks

yeah I do need to do some datalogging as the apexi turbo timer says I am going below 10:1 at wot. I believe the wideband is reading about 12:1. I have the LC-1 controller outputting to my narrow band gauge. But when I was using the software that came with the LC-1 that displays A/F I say it go to 12:1 i do believe. I do know that the car was smoking a decent bit, gas/oil combo according to the people behind me at 8 psi. i didn't notice anything at 3 psi. Also I got a used metal dpfe that I just installed, just need to go to the junkyard for some hoses.

I will check the plugs tomorrow and get some data logging going under load as you instructed before.

also would you be able to make another exhaust pipe so I can remove the cat by swapping that section of exhaust pipe out? pm me how much it would be, thanks

So at WOT you say the apex says 10.1 but i LC-1 saids 12.1 which one is it I have? You have to make sure you converted the voltage or set it right. Make sure you have the settings on the LC-1 correct. Let me know where the WOT is for sure and I will be stunned if you are 12.1 with no power. I can tell you this at 8 psi 3rd rips loose when it hits boost on the car I have hear and the next question is where did you connect the wasteagate to hopefully not the turbo If the wastegate is not on the UIM line then it will loose boost as it rises in rpms robbing you of 50-75 hp easy ask BAD SVT how much difference it made when I argued with the guys at his dyno shop and when they swapped it made 25whp more on just a 2.5 liter motor. Joey

don't the metal ones fail from time to time on our cars? i replaced mine with the plastic one a while ago. but dang! must be a furnace under there. mine is too. i guess i should check mine regularly.

So at WOT you say the apex says 10.1 but i LC-1 saids 12.1 which one is it I have? You have to make sure you converted the voltage or set it right. Make sure you have the settings on the LC-1 correct. Let me know where the WOT is for sure and I will be stunned if you are 12.1 with no power. I can tell you this at 8 psi 3rd rips loose when it hits boost on the car I have hear and the next question is where did you connect the wasteagate to hopefully not the turbo If the wastegate is not on the UIM line then it will loose boost as it rises in rpms robbing you of 50-75 hp easy ask BAD SVT how much difference it made when I argued with the guys at his dyno shop and when they swapped it made 25whp more on just a 2.5 liter motor. Joey

in previous data logging you have data captured from the LC-1 after the turbo but before the cat. the apexi is just a display I have been viewing and it calculates the a/f based on one of the factory O2 sensor. I did notice while cruising on the highway the two would seem to match. I am seeing 14.3 or so at cruise. Also on my drive out to Carlisle I did get a P0175 code (System Too Rich - Bank No. 2.). I cleared that and it hasn't come back.

when I was data logging the wideband I used the equation provided from Innovate motorsports in there tutorial on the LC-1. Also the LC-1 came with software that displays an A/F gauge when plugging into the laptop. This matched what I was data logging on the xcal2 w/livelink. I used this formula: A/F = (V*3.008)+7.35 in live link to display A/F based on the wideband voltage signal.

as for my vacuum connection it is take off the main vacuum line on the UIM. I took the fitting off the turbo compressor housing and plugged it. Boost remains constant when in boost.

Back