• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Deal's Gap .... dang

It's got an eccentric shaft, basically same as crankshaft. And cams are just unneeded weight, so are valves, connecting roads, etc.
You know, you'd think they could design such an efficient engine (hp vs. size) to get better gas mileage though.

It's got an eccentric shaft, basically same as crankshaft. And cams are just unneeded weight, so are valves, connecting roads, etc.
You know, you'd think they could design such an efficient engine (hp vs. size) to get better gas mileage though.

Ain't that the truth. My Godchilds Dad has an 04' RX-8 and on the freeway it gets 18 mpg and used about a quart of oil every couple thousand miles, but it sure does run good and the handling, damn the handling:drool:

I'm not much on measuring mpg, but doing some quick math, I figure I got no better than 15mpg driving back from Atlanta with it (going ~90mph) and a little city driving. Sure is a fun car though.

1. They had to tune it go get more torque out of it. They rev MIGHTY high, but the low end torque needs all the help it can get - so you get crappy mileage.
  2. It is basically a 2 stroke engine. Great for reliability, weight savings, HP per displacement, sucks on efficiency since so much of the energy from combustion is just spit out the exhaust ports.
I like 'em. They're smooth, quiet, fun as heck, take to FI nicely, BUT I definately prefer a V-8. :cool:

Back