• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

CTA Motorsports Zetec Intake Kit (We may start making them again, but...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_G
Chris, since you guys are into manufacturing plans again - why not to complete the kit with a heat shield - I guess it might generate additional interest/demand - plus I would be in - guaranteed ;) .

Unfortunately, we do not have the resources to produce a heat shield, and there are already heat shields being produced by other CEG members at good prices too.

That one doesn't work for the Zetec as the pipes approach the location from different angles. I sure wish there was a cold air fender mod for our cars - Zetec & Duratec.

Hmmm...

<=== (* Reminded of a 3" hole saw he has on hand *)

CTA's New (Prototype) Zetec Intake Kit Installed

CTA's New (Prototype) Zetec Intake Kit Installed

The prototype kit was installed on a 98 Contour this afternoon. Here are some pics and a video/sound clip.
http://www.ctamotorsports.com/contourimages/zetec_intake/100_3442.MOV

Intake Installed
100_3433.jpg

100_3441.jpg

Lots of Hood Clearance
100_3431.jpg

Support Bracket
100_3427.jpg

IAT (4 wire MAF's)
100_3435.jpg

Breather hose
100_3437.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that would look even better if the engine bay was cleaner.:laugh:

I think I will fork up the money to get one, looks too good to pass up.

Was fitment an issue around the TB? IIRC, you used the 3" to 3" 90 degree hose with a reducer at the TB.

Last edited:

I think I will fork up the money to get one, looks to good to pass up.

Was fitment an issue around the TB? IIRC, you used the 3" to 3" 90 degree hose with a reducer at the TB.

The elbow is plyable enough to cover the less than 1/4" or so actual difference in diameters of the TB exterior to inside surface of the silicone elbow.

100_3438.jpg

I think I will fork up the money to get one, looks too good to pass up.

Hey now, lets not go dissing the engine bay, hahahaha. It's winter time, what do you want from me.

I haven't gotten time to fully evaluate it as it's raining today, so I'll save my final comments for a couple of days from now. But so far, I really like it. The sound is incredible without being ricey, which is nice.

I think with this and some stickers, I should be pushing at least 300HP ;)

CTA Motorsports Zetec Intake Kit

CTA Motorsports Zetec Intake Kit

Well! I will definitely be placing an order for one as soon as the availability date and price is announced

Looks like that will put the filter in close to the same angle & location, but now that I think about it, the MAFs are different than the V-6 cars, so the shield still may not fit.... I'll have to look a little closer.

Still, I'll look forward to some pricing on a final kit. I'd like to see the price down closer to $150 considering the simplicity of the kit. For $150 I'd definately replace my custom setup with that. No doubt about it. :cool:

Still, I'll look forward to some pricing on a final kit. I'd like to see the price down closer to $150 considering the simplicity of the kit. For $150 I'd definately replace my custom setup with that. No doubt about it. :cool:

As I mentioned in a previous post, a full kit, due to the cost of the silicone elbow, will not allow the kit price to be where it used to be. The elbows cost a lot. :(

Hey now, lets not go dissing the engine bay, hahahaha. It's winter time, what do you want from me.

I haven't gotten time to fully evaluate it as it's raining today, so I'll save my final comments for a couple of days from now. But so far, I really like it. The sound is incredible without being ricey, which is nice.

I think with this and some stickers, I should be pushing at least 300HP ;)

I should have a review up tonight. If it isn't up before 8pm EST, I give everyone permission to give me hell.

I should have a review up tonight. If it isn't up before 8pm EST, I give everyone permission to give me hell.

I don't know if I should make a new topic for this, but I'll just do it here anyways.

CTA intake review:

First and foremost, I'd like to thank Chris from CTA Motorsports for doing us Contour guys a great service (although he is profiting off this, that's not the point). I had never met Chris before, so I thought it'd be a bit awkward, but it wasn't at all. For those of you that haven't met him, Chris is a great guy and he knows his stuff. A most excellent person and business to work with.

I met up with Chris last week on Thursday after work. We talked, he showed me his sweet rides, took my intake off, did some test fitting, and then final assembly of the CTA intake on my Contour. All of this within the space of 2 hours (we probably talked for at least an hour). This basically means that the average person can easily install this intake on their Contour within 30 minutes with simple tools.

Disclaimer: I previously had, and still have, a CEL. This is not caused by the intake but by a small exhaust leak I have. This means that I don't know if his intake has caused a CEL in my car or will cause a CEL in your car.

After installation, we checked everything over, then pulled out fuse 4 and 10 so that the computer could reset, and then started up the car. The car started normally. I let the engine idle for a few seconds and then gave it some revs. This intake sounds incredible. It sounds throaty and mean without that nasty rice sound most commonly found coming from 16 year olds driving Civics.

Also of note in the sound department is that if you don't want to hear the intake all the time, you don't have to. As long as your revs are keep low and you're not flooring it, you don't really hear the intake at all. I think this is especially important because a constantly loud intake (or exhaust) can give you a headache if you have to listen to it for long periods of time.

I haven't noticed a big change in power from my engine, but that is to be expected as I don't have any other performance mods. But what I have noticed is a very slight increase in power, as measured by my butt-o-meter, as well as a more responsive engine.

Aesthetically speaking, this intake looks awesome, and I can't wait till summer so I can give the whole engine bay a good cleaning. It fits well too and doesn't bump into anything, most notably there's no interference with the hood. I showed a friend of mine who drives a Sentra SE-R with an intake and he told me my intake looked much better than his (I obviously agreed with him).

Revving the engine up and changing gears is now much more fun and I yearn for highway on-ramps. This whole performance mod thing is pretty addictive.

Let me know if there is anything else specific you'd like me to comment on and I'd be glad to answer.

Sean

P.S. Sorry if this is kinda long, but I thought it would be beneficial to get my whole perspective on this.

Last edited:
once all the christmas and garage bills are paid i'm making the trip to T.O to get one.I'll put up pic's when i get it to (we can see how it looks in a clean engine LOL jk)

Intake looks good....
I highly suggest sticking with the stock airbox and just getting a K&N (or similiar) high flow panel filter. Or else get the filter relocation elbow (I believe CTA still sells them).
Sticking an open filter in the engine bay is good for nothing but adding sound to your intake.

Intake looks good....
I highly suggest sticking with the stock airbox and just getting a K&N (or similiar) high flow panel filter. Or else get the filter relocation elbow (I believe CTA still sells them).
Sticking an open filter in the engine bay is good for nothing but adding sound to your intake.

Most of us are aware of the problems under hood temperatures pose with an open filter. At this point, the system looks like it may work with an heat shield similar to those being made for the V-6. At worst, since the angle is coming in right, a rubbermaid trash can airbox can be fabbed by Zetec owners now. This is definately a viable system for putting together a simple heat shield.

Keep it up CTA! and thanks for your continued efforts Chris!

Most of us are aware of the problems under hood temperatures pose with an open filter. At this point, the system looks like it may work with an heat shield similar to those being made for the V-6.

Its more than just under hood temps. It's how laminar the air flow is. A cone filter installed on the MAF plays hell with the quality of the air flow and slapping a trash can around the filter screws it up even more. Cone filter is more for looks and sound than performance.

Back