• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

CSVT Exhaust

SO sometimes the simpler ways to explaining things are way more effective.
I have no qualms with simple... as long as it's correct.

I find it amusing that you even mention sound waves?? lol hmm probable because of pulse waves...?? :laugh:
Nope... because of sound waves and the current topic of resonators. I thought that was pretty clear. Nothing to do with pressure pulses. You don't want to go there anyway, you're so incapable of being wrong that just the thought of the possiblity makes you sick... surely you remember saying this - Honestly lets discuss this at a later time, i'm way too sick with this flu to look at the screen long enough. It makes me want to vomit!!
Not to mention, that should probably be reserved for another thread.

Now back too looking at my wikipedia resonator page
Everything was my own explanation except the "internal resonant oscillation"... that WAS borrowed from a definition, (though not Wikipedia), to be sure I had it absolutely correct. It's better to look it up & be sure it's correct than misquote or misspell and portray yourself as ignorant or stupid - you know? Plus, I've learned to do my best to not give any worthwhile argument legs, in an effort to avoid the unbearable semantics that typically follow.

I have no qualms with simple... as long as it's correct.
Thank you for correcting me. I didn't think you were going to get your panties all in a bunch....with all this added crap.

Nope... because of sound waves and the current topic of resonators. I thought that was pretty clear. Nothing to do with pressure pulses. You don't want to go there anyway, you're so incapable of being wrong that just the thought of the possiblity makes you sick... surely you remember saying this - Honestly lets discuss this at a later time, i'm way too sick with this flu to look at the screen long enough. It makes me want to vomit!!
Not to mention, that should probably be reserved for another thread.
You don't know me enough to pass judgment like this. BY all means it's the internet, say what you want....based on your posts here your the one looking like an ass right now:shrug:

Everything was my own explanation except the "internal resonant oscillation"... that WAS borrowed from a definition, (though not Wikipedia), to be sure I had it absolutely correct. It's better to look it up & be sure it's correct than misquote or misspell and portray yourself as ignorant or stupid - you know? Plus, I've learned to do my best to not give any worthwhile argument legs, in an effort to avoid the unbearable semantics that typically follow.
It's funny that you did to me what you try to avoid:rolleyes: To be honest....this screams childish behavior all over it.
I think you need to get over your self.

To talk about being stubborn, you have a history of arguing the normal and what has been proven to work. Don't let me go back to the Se pcm......after what, months of you arguing about it, and in the end, you were wrong. The thing is, It took you months to finally admit it. It took dozens of people saying the same thing over and over again, and for some reason you were soo stubborn you didn't want to believe the 20+ people posting in that thread. I never posted anything in that section, but as soon as you started to tamper with your exhaust, you came in here arguing everything. :shrug: Soo it seems every time you mod something you come into that section with something to prove. Split port manifolds, 70+mm tb etc etc.

You carry that..my crap don't stink attitude. Well here's the deal..why don't you grow up, learn to approach any situation with a level head. If your not getting anywhere with the person......LET IT GO....like i'm going to do with you right now.

I didn't think you were going to get your panties all in a bunch.
This is condescending and snide, yet if I were to rebutt in an effort to defend myself, you would try to make ME out to be the bad guy.

You don't know me enough to pass judgment like this. BY all means it's the internet, say what you want....based on your posts here your the one looking like an ass right now
I have passed my judgement based only on what I DO know of you, which is from posts on here. It's my assessment of your personality on here and though I'm sure there are people who have a strongly different one, it doesn't make mine incorrect to me. If you were to prove it wrong, my assessment would change. Until then, if it makes me appear an ass, then sobeit.

It's funny that you did to me what you try to avoid:rolleyes: To be honest....this screams childish behavior all over it.
I think you need to get over your self.
One of my shortcomings is that I have trouble letting smartass coments go unrequited. But this is another, in a line of MANY from you, that I WILL let go.

To talk about being stubborn, you have a history of arguing the normal and what has been proven to work. Don't let me go back to the Se pcm......after what, months of you arguing about it, and in the end, you were wrong.
I AM stubborn at times, but you need to recheck your facts about the SE PCM. Some of my ideas and theories about the root case were wrong, yes, however, the PCM works exactly as it should - which was my base argument that many disagreed with. The reality is that the PCM is seeing a fault of some sort that I could not pin down, (but at least I can say that I TRIED to pin it down & didn't just pass it off as "the way it is"). The PCM initiates it's full-rich fuel strategy at the sight of the fault, and that's what kills the power up top.

My base argument was from a programming standpoint in that the PCM is not programmed to randomly go full-rich, (which is what LOOKS to be happening, if one doesn't understand what they're seeing). If I'm wrong because I could not pinpoint the root cause, then everyone else is also wrong for the same reason. Bottom line - it's not SUPPOSED to do that.

The thing is, It took you months to finally admit it. It took dozens of people saying the same thing over and over again, and for some reason you were soo stubborn you didn't want to believe the 20+ people posting in that thread. I never posted anything in that section, but as soon as you started to tamper with your exhaust, you came in here arguing everything. :shrug: Soo it seems every time you mod something you come into that section with something to prove. Split port manifolds, 70+mm tb etc etc.
I'm just a different breed. If someone tells me that something doesn't work, I'm curious why. If said someone can explain to me why it doesn't work, and it actually makes sense, then I go with it. However, if my inquiry to understand something is met with attitude or something like "that's just the way it is", then I take the statement as conjecture and look to prove or disprove it myself, often by asking more questions. You incorrectly assess my inquiries and rebuttles as arguments. It's an easy mistake to make, but still a mistake nonetheless.

You carry that..my crap don't stink attitude. Well here's the deal..why don't you grow up, learn to approach any situation with a level head. If your not getting anywhere with the person......LET IT GO....like i'm going to do with you right now.
You "let it go" only AFTER yet another incorrect assessment, more condescension, and just blatant ignorance. But I am the childish one. :rolleyes:

If we're going to go back and forth, we can at least be on topic. So, in your opinion, what causes rasp Harry? And please have your reference material handy or mark your statements as personal experience.

If we're going to go back and forth, we can at least be on topic. So, in your opinion, what causes rasp Harry? And please have your reference material handy or mark your statements as personal experience.

Do you not know what LET IT GO MEANS???? Seriosuly you sound like those obsessive men. No i don't want to make another disscussion about rasp and no i don't want to go get any material so we can argue? What is wrong with you, and a certain breed---- means your a rebel with a cause to prove everyone else is wrong....like i said before it's pointless to have conversations with people like you.

But what to replace the 10435 with is the problem. I think all Magnaflows resonators are straight thru design, so they're out . Borla I think are baflled but good luck finding one where I live. Do Edelbrock, Flowmaster or anyone else make anything that would work and still be an improvement over the stock resonator ?
IMO, you're best compromise of improved flow and controlled volume/drone will be had with a smaller ID straight-through round muffler or glasspack, as long as possible, in place of the 10435.

You said that you have 2.5" piping from the 10435 to "just before the T". That sounds to me like the pipe size drops back down to 2.25" before splitting. If this is the case, that may the root cause of your drone. If you abruptly decrease the size at the end of a section of pipe, you effectively create somewhat of an echo chamber as long as the section of larger pipe. That typically exacerbates any unpleasant exhaust note/s.

No i don't want to make another disscussion about rasp and no i don't want to go get any material so we can argue?
The idea was not for us to argue but to segue back on topic. With exhaust sound being talked about, I thought rasp to be a good topic to move to. Apparently you disagree, and that's okay.

a certain breed---- means your a rebel with a cause to prove everyone else is wrong.
I know that trying to rebut this would simply be a waste of time, so I'll just go on record saying that it is another incorrect assessment.

Do you not know what LET IT GO MEANS????
More ignorance that I will indeed, let go. :cool:

IMO, you're best compromise of improved flow and controlled volume/drone will be had with a smaller ID straight-through round muffler or glasspack, as long as possible, in place of the 10435.

What would that accomplish? The 10435 is already a straight through muffler.

What would that accomplish?
A smaller ID straight-through would accomplish a greater reduction of volume, at the very least, lowering the tone of the drone...
and if he were alone, he might moan, while talking on the phone, and searching for a clone of his special stone. :laugh:

A smaller ID straight-through would accomplish a greater reduction of volume, at the very least, lowering the tone of the drone...
and if he were alone, he might moan, while talking on the phone, and searching for a clone of his special stone. :laugh:

I wouldn't say a greater reduction of volume...i don't want to say anything because you might think i'm attacking you.

I will add this... If you need a reduction of rasp and drone go get a same size ID of your pipe size... straight through muffler and call it a day. Best of both worlds IMHO. I recommend a Borla muffler in the center.

I wouldn't say a greater reduction of volume.
Then this will just be another thing we disagree on.

In my experiences with exhaust modding for different reasons on different platforms, smaller pipe size in, or after a muffler increases the mufflers effectiveness... in fact, every factory Ford exhaust system I've taken a close look at employs this method of sound management. Everything from a new Shelby Mustang which has 2.5" piping going into mufflers with smaller ID perf-tubes inside, to our regular Contour's & Mystiques which use the technique in the resonator and the rear muffler.

So would a muffler such as a Borla Pro XS actually fit in the resonator spot. its dimensions are 14 x 9 x5. i havent found much in the way of round mufflers other than Cherry Bombs and I doubt they'd be much quieter or less droney.

The Cherry Bomb isnt really a muffler whereas the Magnaflow and Borla would be. With the CB you'll probably get rasp AND drone.

Then this will just be another thing we disagree on.

In my experiences with exhaust modding for different reasons on different platforms, smaller pipe size in, or after a muffler increases the mufflers effectiveness... in fact, every factory Ford exhaust system I've taken a close look at employs this method of sound management. Everything from a new Shelby Mustang which has 2.5" piping going into mufflers with smaller ID perf-tubes inside, to our regular Contour's & Mystiques which use the technique in the resonator and the rear muffler.

No i agree a reduction of pipe size does change the exhaust tone....but you said greatest..and not hanging on that word..I just recommended a for sure fix..

If you look at the magnaflow resonator. The ID tube(example) is 2 inches..once you enter the canal it actually becomes bigger..the internal pipe is a bit larger. So it would kinda defeat the purpose your propossing.

Both of my resonators are larger on the inside.

Yes i do know car companies do the small DIA inlet/outlet pipes on resonators/mufflers. Just like our famous cotour resonator. I do know there resonators/mufflers are restrictive as hell so IMHO..i don't know if it will take away the drone like you want it too do. Only because i have done it on my buddies se....we installed a 2 inch magnaflow resonator and drone was still there.

So would a muffler such as a Borla Pro XS actually fit in the resonator spot. its dimensions are 14 x 9 x5. i havent found much in the way of round mufflers other than Cherry Bombs and I doubt they'd be much quieter or less droney.

Cherry bombs are worthless!!! and will not do the job you are wanting. A muffler selection would benefit you more, remember the stock resonator on our cars is quite large..i actually have 2 resonators side by side on my car right now.

The borla xs muffler will work in place of the resonator.

Cherry bombs are worthless!!! and will not do the job you are wanting. A muffler selection would benefit you more, remember the stock resonator on our cars is quite large..i actually have 2 resonators side by side on my car right now.

The borla xs muffler will work in place of the resonator.

Thats kinda what I thought, so the CB is out.

So, will the Borla fit easily and be significantly less droney ? If its remotely harder to install than the magnaflow was , i doubt I'll even find a shop in my area capable of installing it. Also, the pipes going in/out to my resonator are 2.5". What would be easier for the exhaust shop to install: a Borla with 2.5" in/out or with 2.25" in/out.

So, will the Borla fit easily and be significantly less droney ? If its remotely harder to install than the magnaflow was , i doubt I'll even find a shop in my area capable of installing it. Also, the pipes going in/out to my resonator are 2.5". What would be easier for the exhaust shop to install: a Borla with 2.5" in/out or with 2.25" in/out.

You will have ZERO DRONE OR RASP!!

Yes it will fit, also your gonna want an offset going in and a center outlet.

I have a 2.5" offset in/center out Edelbrock muffler inplace of my resonator. I would have went with a Borla ProXS as mentioned above but the Edelbrocks were on clearance. Anyway, you may need to remove your underbody heat sheild. It was close on mine and I didn't want any rattles so I pulled the sheild, no problems noticed w/ heat.
It may take more finesse to install, so just be aware.
If you look at the exhaust thread I started, its more explained there, but 2.5" muffler/pipe under the car to factory 2.25 around the tank to 2" Magnaflow resonators in place of the SVT mufflers sounds great/no drone.
Good luck.
-J

What would be easier for the exhaust shop to install: a Borla with 2.5" in/out or with 2.25" in/out.
The inlet & outlet of whatever you chose to install should be swagged. So it should have 2.5" ID, while your piping is 2.5" OD. In other words, the 2.5" in/out should slide right over the existing pipe, making for a very easy install as long as the pipes line up with the muffler.

No i agree a reduction of pipe size does change the exhaust tone....but you said greatest
I said "greater" as in the sound reduction would be greater from something with a smaller ID, than it is with the Magnaflow.

Cherry bombs are worthless!!!
Man we just can't seem to agree on anything anymore... unless you're referring to the louvered style... I say those suck too. But I've got a 24" perf-tubed Cherry Bomb in place of the factory resonator that I'm quite happy with. If the pipework is done right, considering the system as a hole and taking realistic goals into account, you can get what you want out of a Cherry Bomb/glasspack/muffler.

Man we just can't seem to agree on anything anymore... unless you're referring to the louvered style... I say those suck too. But I've got a 24" perf-tubed Cherry Bomb in place of the factory resonator that I'm quite happy with. If the pipework is done right, considering the system as a hole and taking realistic goals into account, you can get what you want out of a Cherry Bomb/glasspack/muffler.

See if your gonna go the easy route, then yea..throw it on. But cherry bomb has been known to place fiberglass material inside..as there deading material :blackeye:. We all know that stuff last 1-3 years.:blackeye:. Five-oh had a cherry bomb on his svt and it sounded okay.

I'm not a fan of it because it doesn't do as good as job canceling out the exhaust waves inside of it like the magnaflow can.:shrug: Which is what we want to get rid of rasp.

Do you have rasp when it's cold? Others around here claimed they got rasp using cherry bombs but went away after it warmed up. Which is anther discussion i don't want to get into. But seeing others who have magnaflow don't claim this as much.

Back