• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

CSVT Exhaust

How do you still lose low end power with an upgraded y-pipe?

The best y-pipe is the sho-shop y pipe with the correct tune added because of the bend being removed.
...because it is too big. The best bolt-on y-pipe is an optimized stock y-pipe. As you stated, the SHO-shop y-pipe requires a tune to account for it's difference in design.

Ok, I may have jumped the gun on the hours thing. I am a friggin newbie and I was trying to catch up on a break at work. But I'm not (that) young or new to cars and power toys. I still stand by my original claim. Dyno runs a year apart tell me JACK! Especially with so little info about the runs. If the two were dramatically different I might take some value away with me, but they are awfully close, relatively speaking. Those aren't the kind of differences most people can even relate to by "seat of pants". So I don't completely discredit the methods, but I feel more is needed here. I'd rather see cold hard facts any day than listen to how people felt, but don't discredit folks for saying how they feel about their own setup. I'm taking it ALL in. I'm an aggressive driver...sometimes. But I'm not building a track car, it's a fun DD. So I want numbers as well as 'boy in 5th gear at 2k rpm this thing really falls on it's butt since I put brand xyz y-pipe in'. So, nuff with the shoutin' ok? Just fill my newbie brain with the good stuff.:D
-Glenn

So let me tell you about my experinces with our cars exhaust systems :crazy:

I have owned all 3 y-pipes. msds-weapon R-bat y-pipe with cat and without.
Resonated exhaust and non resonated exhaust.
While running with stock manifolds then using these combos with my msds system. Cats were also swapped in all occasions

3 types of mufflers resonators and 2 cat style. Okay alot of money here!!!

My best combo hands down!!! Stock manifolds bat- y pipe with no cat and a maganflow 22 inch resonator with stock svt mufflers. Best sound and power. Once headers were put on the exhaust tone changed sooo much and it was soo hard to balance the rasp with the drone.

But i eventually ditched all those things and custom made my own exahust.

True duals gave me the best bang for the buck and i wish i never wasted all that money buying all those extra exhaust parts.

2inch high flow metallic race cats, 22 inch magnaflow resonators and edlebrock twin path mufflers for the rear.

Now of course me being curious i played with this exhaust too

Started with 2inch exahust 2 resonators and 2 magnaflow straight through mufflers. No rasp but it was quite at low rpms at 70 mph it was dead quite. So i decided to install an x-pipe and then my edelbrock muffles. Then i added highflow cats and i removed the resonators.

So after finally i choose to add the resonators. And now i'm extremely happy with this setup

So......kinda been there and done that. BAT Y-PIPE is a great mod in comparision to an opt y-pipe!!!!!

...because it is too big. The best bolt-on y-pipe is an optimized stock y-pipe. As you stated, the SHO-shop y-pipe requires a tune to account for it's difference in design.

Ian, what is too big??? The pipes are still 2 inch for both sides:shrug:

Yes i said a tune will help the bat y-pipe. But it isn't needed, my car never got a correct tune. :shrug:

My best combo hands down!!! Stock manifolds bat- y pipe with no cat and a maganflow 22 inch resonator with stock svt mufflers. Best sound and power. Once headers were put on the exhaust tone changed sooo much and it was soo hard to balance the rasp with the drone.
Ahh, now this seems useful! Thank you. I might have use for you after all Yoda.:laugh:

Did you custom delete the cat off the bat-y or is there another version I have not seen? And did you ever run this setup with a cat? I'm tempted for my purposes to roughly duplicate that setup (almost had it in mind before). I do dare to be different though, and I'm tempted to test out a Flowmaster 60 series in place of resonator. Any thoughts aside from spacial issues in the tunnel?

Ahh, now this seems useful! Thank you. I might have use for you after all Yoda.:laugh:

Did you custom delete the cat off the bat-y or is there another version I have not seen?, And did you ever run this setup with a cat?
Now my pipe came with a cat. To clear a few things up the sho-shop/bat y-pipe cat material would fall apart. Once i received my sho-shop the cat fell apart and rattled like crazy. So i ordered a new cat and after 6 months it was ratteling like crazy. So i said fug it, i gutted the thing and vola....more power. I gained a few mpg and kept it like that.

I do dare to be different though, and I'm tempted to test out a Flowmaster 60 series in place of resonator. Any thoughts aside from spacial issues in the tunnel?
Yes....don't. They don't flow much at all and to me they are the biggest waste of material used to make a muffler.

Buy a maganaflow, borla, spin tech, edelbrock. Atleast those don't have chambered flow paths. Flowmaster only makes noise. Heck our stock svt mufflers flow the same cfms as those things.

If you have time take a look at the sticky posted at the top of exhaust section. I wrote all that material to help people understand the differences between mufflers. Once you see them.....then decided what style your looking for then decided what company you want to order from.

If you look threw many old posts in this section you would see tons of information i have given on various styles and types of exhaust.

Now my pipe came with a cat. To clear a few things up the sho-shop/bat y-pipe cat material would fall apart. Once i received my sho-shop the cat fell apart and rattled like crazy. So i ordered a new cat and after 6 months it was ratteling like crazy. So i said fug it, i gutted the thing and vola....more power. I gained a few mpg and kept it like that.

Yes....don't. They don't flow much at all and to me they are the biggest waste of material used to make a muffler.

Buy a maganaflow, borla, spin tech, edelbrock. Atleast those don't have chambered flow paths. Flowmaster only makes noise. Heck our stock svt mufflers flow the same cfms as those things.

If you have time take a look at the sticky posted at the top of exhaust section. I wrote all that material to help people understand the differences between mufflers. Once you see them.....then decided what style your looking for then decided what company you want to order from.

If you look threw many old posts in this section you would see tons of information i have given on various styles and types of exhaust.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind on the cat.

I've been through oodles of posts already and the stickies and heard all the sound clips. But I never saw a Flowy in place of the res so I was curious. I've been addicted to them as mufflers, got one on my diesel, but never had one on other than V8. I plan on leaving the stock mufflers alone but I cringe when I look up at the stock Y and hate the interior resonance from the resonator-delete pipe. Besides, I like my music too. :D

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind on the cat.

I've been through oodles of posts already and the stickies and heard all the sound clips. But I never saw a Flowy in place of the res so I was curious. I've been addicted to them as mufflers, got one on my diesel, but never had one on other than V8. I plan on leaving the stock mufflers alone but I cringe when I look up at the stock Y and hate the interior resonance from the resonator-delete pipe. Besides, I like my music too. :D

Agreed. I had a 14inch resonator at first....then switched to a 2 inch resonator and the drone went away. Thank god!!

I loved my flowmasters when i installed them in my 1990 mustang gt back in 1996. But hey...you live to learn....but hey, atleast they sound good.:cool:

While we're on the subject of resonators, what would be a good one to replace the 22" Dronemaster ( also referred to as a Magnaflow 10435) on my car. I'm looking for something more quiet and without the extreme droning of the 10435, but less restrictive than the stock resonator. Does such a thing exist?

While we're on the subject of resonators, what would be a good one to replace the 22" Dronemaster ( also referred to as a Magnaflow 10435) on my car. I'm looking for something more quiet and without the extreme droning of the 10435, but less restrictive than the stock resonator. Does such a thing exist?

Yes....but answer me this.....headers? stock main cat? mufflers? Resonator?

Headers to BAT Y , flex pipe to magnalow welded on instead of being attached by flange. The stock piping from the flex pipe to the Y junction at the back was replaced with 2.5" tubing and joined back to the SVT exhaust just before T junction . SVT mufflers.

Headers to BAT Y , flex pipe to magnalow welded on instead of being attached by flange. The stock piping from the flex pipe to the Y junction at the back was replaced with 2.5" tubing and joined back to the SVT exhaust just before T junction . SVT mufflers.

You have no cats?

Then that is why you still have drone with only a magnaflow.. You are going to have to add a muffler style screen meshed muffler.

Okay, when the exhuast gases travel down the tubes, they enter your resonator. Once it enters the resonator it slows down the flow because of it's volume is able to grow more. This occurs because extra room and therefore larger amounts of gases are able to be present at this very time, so the gases actually expand at this point!. This is where the fibers inside the mesh help. They are able to absorb the gases in which they curb the volume of the exhaust and once the exterior part of the resonator fills with gases and the fibers react accordingly, then the remaining exhaust gases pass threw the resonator.

Now seeing that you have 1 resonator and 2 mufflers...you don't do much to help calm the gases down. You will have to install a larger filled fiber muffler with the 22inch resonator. The goal here is to add a 2 in 1 muffler towards the front of the engine, that way gases will reach the muffler sooner creating a change of exhaust flow. This will help reduce drone a million times better!!!

The closer you put a resonator/muffler to the engine the quieter the car is!!!

Yes, of course I have a main cat. AFAIK the BAT y pipe isnt available in any other configuration.

Realistically all the BAT is is two cheap pipes that connect to custom made hi flow magnaflow cat . The converter is what joins the pipes together.

Yes, of course I have a main cat. AFAIK the BAT y pipe isnt available in any other configuration.

Realistically all the BAT is is two cheap pipes that connect to custom made hi flow magnaflow cat . The converter is what joins the pipes together.

Well like i have stated in my prior post, that the bat's y-pipe cat material has been known to deteriorate at a really high rate causing most people to remove the cat all together. So i assumed you didn't have it still:shrug:

Seeing you still have droning issues, your still going to have to install a muffler style resonator. You have no other choice. SO order one up and throw it on and call it a day:cool:

I wasnt aware when i got my BAT y pipe that there was a quality problem with their cat. But no, I've never gutted it and hopefully it'll last for a few years. Yet another reason to recommend against purchasing the BAT.

But what to replace the 10435 with is the problem. I think all Magnaflows resonators are straight thru design, so they're out . Borla I think are baflled but good luck finding one where I live. Do Edelbrock, Flowmaster or anyone else make anything that would work and still be an improvement over the stock resonator ?

I wasnt aware when i got my BAT y pipe that there was a quality problem with their cat. But no, I've never gutted it and hopefully it'll last for a few years. Yet another reason to recommend against purchasing the BAT.

But what to replace the 10435 with is the problem. I think all Magnaflows resonators are straight thru design, so they're out . Borla I think are baflled but good luck finding one where I live. Do Edelbrock, Flowmaster or anyone else make anything that would work and still be an improvement over the stock resonator ?
It's not bat's design that is bad, it's magnaflows 2 part cat material that is used to make that cat.

Not all of borla's mufflers are baffled, and not all baffled mufflers are bad. They are only bad if the internal plates create a horrible flow path. like oh god i ahve to say it again....flowmasters :blackeye:

Borla is an awesome muffler company!!!! I love all there products.

http://www.wickednicky.com/borla-mufflers-pro-xs.html

try this site, cheapest i have found in over 4 years of buying mufflers. Sometimes they have the mufflers even cheaper on sale. Make sure to cheap out there ebay selection. :)

Alrighty then.....anything else...pm me or make a new thread, we kinda are taking over this guys thread.

Alrighty then.....anything else...pm me or make a new thread, we kinda are taking over this guys thread.
By all means, keep going. I'm still tweaking my opinion of the future of my exhaust. The more babble the better. :)

While I'm not likely to install headers, I'm still thinking of a bat-y and if that = cat delete in the near future, I may want more than the magnaflow res will offer. So I too am thinking of what muffler to place inline.

By all means, keep going. I'm still tweaking my opinion of the future of my exhaust. The more babble the better. :)

While I'm not likely to install headers, I'm still thinking of a bat-y and if that = cat delete in the near future, I may want more than the magnaflow res will offer. So I too am thinking of what muffler to place inline.

You won't have to worry about it to much since you will still retain your headers which has cat's already inside them.

As you stated, the SHO-shop y-pipe requires a tune to account for it's difference in design.
Let's please isolate REQUIREMENTS from OPTIMIZATIONS. Aside from forced induction or other special circumstances, the only thing that REQUIRES a tune is if the PCM, injectors and/or MAF are not kept together. The adaptive learning strategy of the PCM WILL adjust accordingly to ANY exhaust modifications you could make, given you have matched injectors, PCM & MAFS, and of course, keep the upstream O2's.

That being said, NOTHING is optimized without a tune. So yes, a tune will OPTIMIZE the gains from ANY modification.

It helps keep newbies from learning BAD INFORMATION!!! Which seems all these new guys pass false information and it's fuggen annoying!!!
Okay, when the exhuast gases travel down the tubes, they enter your resonator. Once it enters the resonator it slows down the flow because of it's volume is able to grow more. This occurs because extra room and therefore larger amounts of gases are able to be present at this very time, so the gases actually expand at this point!. This is where the fibers inside the mesh help. They are able to absorb the gases in which they curb the volume of the exhaust and once the exterior part of the resonator fills with gases and the fibers react accordingly, then the remaining exhaust gases pass threw the resonator.
I hate to get into this, but while we're talking about keeping the info correct, let's use the proper terminology. :cool:

A resonator, by definition, is a hollow chamber in the exhaust. It does not have any filling and therefor does not incorporate the absorbtion method of sound control. It works solely by the theories of internal resonant oscillation of sound waves, and is designed to cancel out specific frequencies of sound generated by the engine.

If it is designed to absorb sound, it is a muffler, regardless of size or shape.

I hate to get into this, but while we're talking about keeping the info correct, let's use the proper terminology. :cool:

A resonator, by definition, is a hollow chamber in the exhaust. It does not have any filling and therefor does not incorporate the absorbtion method of sound control. It works solely by the theories of internal resonant oscillation of sound waves, and is designed to cancel out specific frequencies of sound generated by the engine.

If it is designed to absorb sound, it is a muffler, regardless of size or shape.
i won't bother but nice grab off wikipedia my friend, but if you say that to a 16 year old...he would have no idea what your talking about. SO sometimes the simpler ways to explaining things are way more effective.

I find it amusing that you even mention sound waves?? lol hmm probable because of pulse waves...?? :laugh:

Now back too looking at my wikipedia resonator page lol....trying to find out how they explain exhaust pressure and how pressure is bad.

Back