• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

CSVT Exhaust

SVTMiG

CEG'er
So it was late night last weekend and I was browsing. could have sworn I stumbled across pics of stock vs. Borla maybe?? exhaust laid out on a driveway. So I was looking again and can't remember where I was. :shrug: tried a couple words on a search with no luck. Ring any bells for anyone? I should mention, what I'm really looking for is what the intact stock resonator looks like (just for reference).

So it was late night last weekend and I was browsing. could have sworn I stumbled across pics of stock vs. Borla maybe?? exhaust laid out on a driveway. So I was looking again and can't remember where I was. :shrug: tried a couple words on a search with no luck. Ring any bells for anyone? I should mention, what I'm really looking for is what the intact stock resonator looks like (just for reference).
Here's a pic of a stock resonator:
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=33171
-J

Thanks J, trying to piece it all together in my head. Think I'm going to order up a magnaflow res and have a joyous old time cutting out the welded res-delete pipe and rewelding it all back together.

While I'm making the effort, any opinions out there on the BAT high-flow y-pipe w/cat??:ponder:

Glenn

JMO, but dont even bother with the BAT Y pipe unless you plan on getting a tune soon after. And , unless your stock catalytic converter is shot, why replace it?

I got the BAT , and I wish I had got the MSDS Y pipe instead. The BAT might pull slightly better on top now , but I'm almost certain I've actually lost low end power.

The MSDS pipe is significantly cheaper and is susposed to show better gains without a tune.

JMO, but dont even bother with the BAT Y pipe unless you plan on getting a tune soon after.
That's what I was looking to hear. I've got no reason to swap at all except my brain looks at the twisted mess and want s it to be straight. Just gonna do the res!

hmm, I did a Sho-shop Y (same design as BAT) with gutted main cat when I did my exhaust from stock manifolds back and it doesn't seem like I lost low-end. Looking at the stocker next to it the aftermarket Y has to flow better.
-J

hmm, I did a Sho-shop Y (same design as BAT) with gutted main cat when I did my exhaust from stock manifolds back and it doesn't seem like I lost low-end. Looking at the stocker next to it the aftermarket Y has to flow better.
-J
I have a BAT Y-pipe and I don't feel like I lost any low-end either. I think it even pulls a little bit harder than before because it seems a lot easier to putt around town at lower RPMs... Just my 2 cents worth

Thanks J, trying to piece it all together in my head. Think I'm going to order up a magnaflow res and have a joyous old time cutting out the welded res-delete pipe and rewelding it all back together.

While I'm making the effort, any opinions out there on the BAT high-flow y-pipe w/cat??:ponder:

Glenn
Glenn--I've done exhaust on almost every car I've driven and it was difficult on what to decide to do on my SVT. If you do a search for threads I started in the exhaust forum you'll see what I did. I am VERY happy with the way its turned out.
Good luck man.
-J

The MSDS Y-pipe isn't any better...you still lose the low-end power. The best Y-pipe is a stock optimized.

How do you still lose low end power with an upgraded y-pipe?

The best y-pipe is the sho-shop y pipe with the correct tune added because of the bend being removed.

Glenn--I've done exhaust on almost every car I've driven and it was difficult on what to decide to do on my SVT. If you do a search for threads I started in the exhaust forum you'll see what I did. I am VERY happy with the way its turned out.
Good luck man.
-J
Thanks J, I'll check it all out. I'm not likely to move on that project for a week or 2 anyway.
-Glenn

QUOTE=Harrry;556577]How do you still lose low end power with an upgraded y-pipe?

The best y-pipe is the sho-shop y pipe with the correct tune added because of the bend being removed.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, but without a tune the gains from the BAT are minimized. If the OP wants to spend $400+ on a tune, then the BAT is the top choice. Without a tune, the BAT is barely better than the stock Y and certainly not worth the money, MSDS is a better choice.

The butt dyno showed a loss of low end on my car after the BAT was added. Whether or not an actual dyno would show the same is irrelevant. I couln't perceive any real gains and the car was noticably less crisp running at low RPM's.

Agreed, but without a tune the gains from the BAT are minimized. If the OP wants to spend $400+ on a tune, then the BAT is the top choice. Without a tune, the BAT is barely better than the stock Y and certainly not worth the money, MSDS is a better choice.

The butt dyno showed a loss of low end on my car after the BAT was added. Whether or not an actual dyno would show the same is irrelevant. I couln't perceive any real gains and the car was noticably less crisp running at low RPM's.

Well i'm sorry but your butt dyno needs a tune up lol. Thanks to CTA motorsports dyno run proves you wrong. :)

louvypipecomparison.jpg

Well i'm sorry but your butt dyno needs a tune up lol. Thanks to CTA motorsports dyno run proves you wrong. :)
Unless there's more to the story, it doen't prove anything. The dates on those run files are more than a year apart. What would really tell the story is back to back dyno runs (well, say within 2-3 hours) of stock y with aftermarket or deleted res vs. their y with same res. If the res is that constrictive then no y-pipe will give a significant gain.

Unless there's more to the story, it doen't prove anything. The dates on those run files are more than a year apart. What would really tell the story is back to back dyno runs (well, say within 2-3 hours) of stock y with aftermarket or deleted res vs. their y with same res. If the res is that constrictive then no y-pipe will give a significant gain.
Nothing more to the story young newbie :)

Soooo your telling me 2-3 hours is really enough time to allow the pcm to adjust for proper fuel/air ratio inside the cylinder? Not even close...5-7 days for proper adjustments my young jedi.

And yes having a restrictive resonator will keep the performance back a bit, but in this case and in my case and many other cars over 20+ we have done the bat setup. We all have gotten Positive gains. I don't BS nor do i waste peoples time making blanket statements on here.

It helps keep newbies from learning BAD INFORMATION!!! Which seems all these new guys pass false information and it's fuggen annoying!!!

Nothing more to the story young newbie :)

Soooo your telling me 2-3 hours is really enough time to allow the pcm to adjust for proper fuel/air ratio inside the cylinder? Not even close...5-7 days for proper adjustments my young jedi.

And yes having a restrictive resonator will keep the performance back a bit, but in this case and in my case and many other cars over 20+ we have done the bat setup. We all have gotten Positive gains. I don't BS nor do i waste peoples time making blanket statements on here.

It helps keep newbies from learning BAD INFORMATION!!! Which seems all these new guys pass false information and it's fuggen annoying!!!

Ok, I may have jumped the gun on the hours thing. I am a friggin newbie and I was trying to catch up on a break at work. But I'm not (that) young or new to cars and power toys. I still stand by my original claim. Dyno runs a year apart tell me JACK! Especially with so little info about the runs. If the two were dramatically different I might take some value away with me, but they are awfully close, relatively speaking. Those aren't the kind of differences most people can even relate to by "seat of pants". So I don't completely discredit the methods, but I feel more is needed here. I'd rather see cold hard facts any day than listen to how people felt, but don't discredit folks for saying how they feel about their own setup. I'm taking it ALL in. I'm an aggressive driver...sometimes. But I'm not building a track car, it's a fun DD. So I want numbers as well as 'boy in 5th gear at 2k rpm this thing really falls on it's butt since I put brand xyz y-pipe in'. So, nuff with the shoutin' ok? Just fill my newbie brain with the good stuff.:D
-Glenn

Back