• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Coug misc build thread

Since I am moving next month to a different state and the car wont be driveable, I decided to buy a trailer today for the car since I will need one for track days eventually anyways. Got a good deal on a brand new one.

trailer1.jpg

trailer2.jpg

Just got my first welding project done

Before and after
TBbracket2.jpg

TBbracket1.jpg

I am going to pic up the wheels on monday :laugh:

Well, the alternator has screwed me, as soon as I started the car it went bad. So I picked up an older style alternator like I should have in the first place, went to install it and realized that I never did or needed to cut off the two tabs sticking off the engine block to fit my 01-02 style alternator bracket. So here I am with these two hunks of metal that need to be trimmed off with the engine in the car...... the lower one will be simple but I dont see a way to safely remove the upper one without causing more problems. And this is the only thing keeping me from being able to drive the car.

On another note, heres the rear half of the car. Got the battery relocation all done finally, removed all the sound deadening material, and was able to adjust the hatch so that it fits nice and flush compared to what it was.

battery.jpg

Been working on the car a lot lately.

sick1.jpg

sick2.jpg

sick3.jpg

UPS came
seats1.jpg

seats3.jpg

Sound deadening material gone -15lbs
dead3.jpg

speak1.jpg

speak2.jpg

UPS came again
headliner.jpg

firewallplates.jpg

Looks great, should be a fun track car! Seeing the pictures reminded me of bulding my Contour. It's a lot of work and testing but rewarding.

Have fun!

Rob

Looks great, should be a fun track car! Seeing the pictures reminded me of bulding my Contour. It's a lot of work and testing but rewarding.

Have fun!

Rob

Thanks so much. This thing has been very testing, sometimes I just want to sell it forget it and spend all the money elsewhere. But in the end it will be a blast im sure.

Bummer to hear about the alternator and the block tab you gotta cut off. Progress is nice though. Good job.

I finally got the call that the car was ready to be picked up. I was soo excited that I had a brain fart pulling the trailer out of the yard in the narrow alley and ended up watching my truck drive right into a dumpster :cry: It could have been waay worse, but just another thing that needs to be taken care of before I can get back to the cougar.

photo-20_zps91439e56.jpg

On to the better part of the day, which made me forget about the truck. I managed to haul the car home without messing anything up. By the time I got everything put away it was dark outside, add an all black car in the mix and we have some crap pics. I will get some more once I get everything assembled on the interior and cleaned since the car has a solid layer of fab shop dust on it.

photo-16_zps34e6699d.jpg

photo-19_zps24862aa9.jpg

photo-17_zps954388c0.jpg

photo-18_zpsa7d4c9f7.jpg

SAAAWEEET!! Looking good. I pray you make it to SZ/CougarFest with this thing!!

And your truck aint bad at all bud. I could plastic repair that piece no problem without replacing it. The worst part of those Chevy front bumpers is all the damn bolts and hardware just to take those side covers off to paint them. PITA. Fords...much easier design.

P.S. Need to add CAGED to your signature now. lol

Very Nice build... I love the headers and is very similar to my build..... can not wait to see some numbers on this beast

SAAAWEEET!! Looking good. I pray you make it to SZ/CougarFest with this thing!!

And your truck aint bad at all bud. I could plastic repair that piece no problem without replacing it. The worst part of those Chevy front bumpers is all the damn bolts and hardware just to take those side covers off to paint them. PITA. Fords...much easier design.

P.S. Need to add CAGED to your signature now. lol

At this point I am shooting for 2014 since the car probably wont be touched until around July.

The damage is worse than it looks in the pic, it dug into the plastic pretty deep. I want to get it fixed right away, but I am also considering just buying a beater car to keep the wear and tear like this off my truck and building a custom front and rear bumper at some point. That way I could just push those sh***y ford trucks out of my way when their spark plugs get stuck in their heads and their transmissions fail 3 times within 16k miles :laugh: you started it...

Dont get me started on all the recalls those heap Silverado's have....not to mention that ••••ty tar like frame coating (WHAT JUNK!). lol My 09' F150 FX4 will yank that thing backwards. And it doesnt have those spark plug issues of the past! :p

And doesnt even matter if it was a rip in that plastic...I could still repair it with 3M Automix products. What till you guys see some of my madness I have been on working with 3M products!!

But BOO on the Coug not getting worked on till July!!

Ahh geez, I shouldnt even respond to that. I can make a prediction that when you look at buying a vehicle, the only thing you look at is Ford right?

I am open to any brand but Chevy. I work at a GM dealership bud....guess it makes you hate them with a burning passion. haha. Which isnt hard to do since they are the bottom quality vehicles of the Big Three. Even Chrysler stepped things up big for 2013.

I mean you are building a Coug and not a Cobalt SS...so you are just confused about your trucks still. haha

Anyhow back on subject...lol....who did the cage for you?

I still need to cut the carpet behind the seats in a clean manor, put the center console back in, and clean everything but I wont have time for that anytime soon so I pulled it out into the sun light today and snapped some quick pics.

photo-23_zpsf526a2b2.jpg

photo-24_zps36962287.jpg

photo-22_zpscd83a3cb.jpg

photo-25_zps9607ce83.jpg

photo-28_zps224dadf0.jpg

My leg position when driving
photo-21_zps341ef884.jpg

And my arm position while driving
photo-27_zps386d102c.jpg

Had to mark my territory
photo-29_zps5b243480.jpg

Looks so •••••in! Makes me wanna cage my CSVT too. Cant ever have to many caged vehicles. lol

Are you seats stationary? If so...I would definately add a rear support to that seatbelt crossbar. I was watching some of Manimillion's videos...and his race seats were flexing all over the place. I have fixed Kirkey Seats in my Stang....and those braces made a HUGE difference in the seats flex.

Picture for reference. Simple and clean design too.
0929090031a.jpg

While its a nice detail, my seats still have sliders and they really dont move much at all especially since they are kinda stuffed in there. I need to focus on things like pull engine fix brakes install stangkillers mufflers air filter tune alignment windshield and then go drive it. The weather was pretty nice today so I pulled it out and washed the outside, couldnt help but to give it some go in 1st gear one time, funny how that can put a big smile on your face and make you want to work on the thing again. As I was pulling out, it started rocking back and forth lifting a tire off the ground on the little bit of slope

photo-30_zpsac2031b9.jpg

Back