• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Coug misc build thread

my DD coug will lift a tire coming into my drive way for almost 3 feet and thats with just my rstb. have you tried jacking the car up yet? i can almost get 3 tires off the ground if i put the jack in the right spot

Haven't tried jacking it up yet, but before the roll bar I had just the RSTB and the SFCs and I thought that was stiff! I just need to get it going so I can 3 wheel it around some corners like that pic of your car, always loved that. Now that he cut a section of my SFCs out I gotta figure out how to cut the old rusty ones off(should be fun) and get some new ones put on at some point.

i cut mine off of a tour that i bought and parted. what part did he cut off? could you just rebuild that section?

You can actually see them in that last pic, they have surface rust cus they were never painted, but you can see the section he cut out. He was about to weld them back in place on his two post lift without load on the suspension and I said umm noo. Now I need to get those sections from him if he still has them and yes probably cut everything off the car rebuild them clean them up paint and reinstall. Just another thing that needs attention on this car.

Great build. It makes me all very happy seeing guys like you and Jaged building these things as hard core track cars. I love this build and will be watching it from afar, LOL.

I don't know if its just the angle of the shot but the rear main hoop looks like it has some bends in it coming down to the floor. They should be straight to ensure that they don't buckle under compression. Same issue with the down legs to the front by your seat. I totally get why they are bent, to clear your seat and fit between the door panel and give you some elbow room, but if you are ever going to step up to a full cage, those bars need to go. Thats why almost all the pro-built cages you see now have the drivers side bars going out into the door pocket. First it gives you some crush zone for side impacts and secondly they are designed so that if the load impacts the front leg of the bar, it won't buckle and drive into the driver.

If there is anything I can do to help you, i.e. information on mine or setup, let me know. Mine is a fair bit different than yours, but I have to say on track you can't tell its FWD at all and is pretty close to the nicest handling car I have ever raced.

Regards and respect,

Eric

Thanks for the comments. As for the door bars, sadly enough I was looking and thinking really hard the other day and decided I will most likely end up cutting them out pretty soon. They just didnt turn out the way I had visioned, and with the drivers side not being solid there really is no point in having it there. Not to mention I am already pretty short and if I want to have someone taller along for the ride they will have a very hard time getting in and out. Its a good thing I didnt pay full price for the work, since the guy just got in a rush to get my car out of his shop and obviously hasnt had much experience building cages like these. Live and learn, but for now it will do and I can always come back later and have a full cage built possibly with no interior parts in the way. Thanks for pointing out the bends at the bottom of the main hoop as I was wondering about that as well. Its great to have others that know more about this stuff than I do looking over things, even if it is too late!

This car has been gathering dust for some time now as other things in life have been taking my time and money, I finally tackled the alternator project several weeks ago and was able to cut the tabs off on the block with the engine in the car and install the contour alt. Fixed up some other things enough to get the tune issue taken care of before I put anymore $ in the car. I figure they spent 4 hours tops on the tune, and they claimed the load control on the dyno wasn't working which would have given me another 10ish to the wheels? The car pretty much has open headers right now and a short ram intake, I will be back to the dyno at some point with a real exhaust system, some other small items and a better tune.

It makes good HP for a NA motor. The SAE Correction of 1.22 is interesting. That means you loose 22 - 23% HP up on the mountain ( true HP before correction is 174 HP but you will make 223 at sea level ). Can't read the RPM, what was it?

When I raced at Bandimere last year my SAE Correction was 1.32 because of the 95 deg temps. The NHRA Super Comp index is .60 slower than normal at Denver and my car felt like a turd because my 1100 HP engine was only making 748 HP on the mountain.

Peak power was made at about 6300 RPM. If what they are telling me about the load control giving me another 10ish hp is true then I am pretty happy with the numbers. And yea our elevation here kills power, unless your boosted but even then you get more lag and the boost is working much harder.

While its a nice detail, my seats still have sliders and they really dont move much at all especially since they are kinda stuffed in there. I need to focus on things like pull engine fix brakes install stangkillers mufflers air filter tune alignment windshield and then go drive it. The weather was pretty nice today so I pulled it out and washed the outside, couldnt help but to give it some go in 1st gear one time, funny how that can put a big smile on your face and make you want to work on the thing again. As I was pulling out, it started rocking back and forth lifting a tire off the ground on the little bit of slope

photo-30_zpsac2031b9.jpg

Tires look wide! What size are you running?

After 2 years of not being able to register this car and drive it due to emissions, I got lucky the other day and got it to pass an emissions test. This morning I went to DMV and got plates, put about 80 miles on it and all I can say is what a great feeling. The tune is still an issue, definitely doesn't accelerate and idle smooth at all, it is better than the NPG tune but not by much. Picked up some Aerocatch hood pins last week and got those installed, have a new Oddyssey battery on its way to install under the hood and get rid of the Optima rattling around in the back. Did I mention that this car can turn and stop REALLY well? Got the GoPro setup on the roll bar, should have some video soon if the weather keeps being nice.

Its alive again. Spent all day yesterday building a temporary single exhaust as the last setup was just too loud, washed the dust off and took it up to the drag strip today with some mustang friends for the all fords day. Put it on the scale, 2700lbs without me in it and about half a tank of gas. Got my first two passes in with the car, bogged pretty bad on both launches with 2.5 60' times. First run was 15.6 at 90mph and second run was 15.3 at 93mph. I was the only CDW-27 car up there, all I got was "what is that?" and "is it turbo?"

It's funny, I saw on FB just the other day some drama with owners of the shop that tuned my car that has been going down for some time now. There was a big notice for everyone to come pick up their cars and parts, looks like the place will probably shut down. Explains why my car sat there for 3 weeks and then got rushed through real quick. I have another shop lined up that I think I can trust, going to take it there once I get the MPV engine in and have them make sure everything is good.

Also, keep in mind my drag times I listed above are a mile above sea level. The car would run about a whole second faster at sea level.

Back