• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Car ALWAYS has problems!!

can drop the oil pan and windage tray and check the rod/rod bearings for play.

Brian, the kid doesn't know to put the car in park to start it. Do you really think it's a good idea for him to start taking things apart?

To the OP, before you do that, check your trans fluid level. The ATX will make a knocking sound also when it's low on fluid.

Brian, the kid doesn't know to put the car in park to start it. Do you really think it's a good idea for him to start taking things apart?

To the OP, before you do that, check your trans fluid level. The ATX will make a knocking sound also when it's low on fluid.

I put about a half pt of trans fluid

car has 93xxx miles.

means nothing mine has 250k plus :shrug:

No oil = no rod bearing :blackeye:
more than likely :cry:
Oil light comes on due to insufficient oil PRESSURE. It's not like the coolant where it measures how much...
true

Not trying to be a jerk, but you have much to learn about cars. :eek:
also maybe true ,but lets :help:
sounds like this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMO_CWVFqLc

only when i rev up to about 1k...idling i don't hear anything.
this may buy you enough time so the car is mobile while you decide when and where and if to put an engine in it
if the bearings are damaged, they are damaged. adding oil and letting it run isn't going to help. you shouldn't be running it with a noise like that.
not sure off hand what it is, but it doesn't sounds good. can drop the oil pan and windage tray and check the rod/rod bearings for play.
see above
If I owned you car, I would scrap it and start over with something else.
you don't :shrug:;) the car as a whole doesn't seam that bad

I guess no one has ever become flustered and forgot a simple step in the process of something when you're still kinda new to it.

Hell, when I had my first SVT I can remember one instance right after getting it where I stalled it at a light because I was nervous and forgot to push the clutch to restart it. I guess that just means I'm just not smart enough to do anything involving a car. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I guess no one has ever become flustered and forgot a simple step in the process of something when you're still kinda new to it.

Hell, when I had my first SVT I can remember one instance right after getting it where I stalled it at a light because I was nervous and forgot to push the clutch to restart it. I guess that just means I'm just not smart enough to do anything involving a car. :rolleyes:

Thanks glenn!
At least someone doesnt put me down 24/7.

And royal i agree with the last thing about drive it until it goes to give me sone time...

I honestly just dont know how much a 3.0 would cost and i dont hae anyone to help install it...mechanics told me 1000$ atleast to install it.

Thanks glenn!
At least someone doesnt put me down 24/7.

And royal i agree with the last thing about drive it until it goes to give me sone time...

I honestly just dont know how much a 3.0 would cost and i dont hae anyone to help install it...mechanics told me 1000$ atleast to install it.
I didn't mean drive it till it goes .I meant that it could be keep mobile until you can get it repaired so when the time comes you don't have the expense of towing it

3.0 is better than an SVT Engine?
What would give me more horsepower?

Not to sound like a n00b but could a 3.0 or svt mess with my current stuff in my car? Like my tranny?

what 3.0 engine would be perfect for my car?

98 taurus? or anything else?
i have a site that shows all these engines in my area that are for sale.

3.0 is better than an SVT Engine?
What would give me more horsepower?

Not to sound like a n00b but could a 3.0 or svt mess with my current stuff in my car? Like my tranny?

the 3.0 would have better HP then the SVT.

Not sure exactly what else is involved, but to my knowledge, the block is the same. So you could still use the UIM and LIM and make it super easy.(Hybrid) Hit up the the 3.0L section and read up.

what 3.0 engine would be perfect for my car?

98 taurus? or anything else?
i have a site that shows all these engines in my area that are for
sale.

I think you can use newer engines than that, like in the 2000's. Def from the Taurus and even the Escape i think, possibly more. Like i said before, the 3.0L section will answer all your questions

hmm.. i guess i don't know much about the ATX in the contours. To my understanding the auto trans was rather strong. I think you dont see to many 3L ATX because ther are no SVT autos, where a lot of the 3L's are... and why would you 3L a ATX? the kid prob doesn't know how to drive stick and if he does, im sure if he had the coin, he would buy an SVT.

Even with a stock 2.5 the ATX can be a weak link adding more power will make it work harder of course. Some people have had luck adding an aftermarket trans cooler to help some of the problem

After everything i think I'm going to buy a new car. 04 and up.
I'm looking at Volkswagen's...I want a car that is pretty quick but a auto tranny...i don't know if i will be able to learn stick.

Back