• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

brake brackets: FSVT/SVT conversion kit

brake brackets: FSVT/SVT conversion kit

• Yes! I want both front and rear conversion kits to 300/280mm

Votes: 33 51.6%
  • Yes, but I'm only interested in the front FSVT 300mm kit

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Yes, but I'm only interested in the rear SVT 280mm kit

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • Interested but I can't do the work myself

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Interested but I won't buy because it looks too difficult

Votes: 6 9.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot use the 300mm rotors with some stock 15" fan blade cougar wheels can I? The reason i ask is because these are what i have my drag radials on and i don't want the front kit if i can't use my drag radials. But i might get the rear anyway.

my understanding that 15" wheels will not fit.

I am interested, but I won't be able to flip for this until after SZ. Hope this gets added to the Nautilus lineup :( I am also a little leery about the grinding and how these get mounted. IIRC from the last thread there was some grinding, etc. that had to be done to get these to mount up. Is this really hard? I voted interested, but it looks a little challenging...:shrug:

I am interested, but I won't be able to flip for this until after SZ. Hope this gets added to the Nautilus lineup :( I am also a little leery about the grinding and how these get mounted. IIRC from the last thread there was some grinding, etc. that had to be done to get these to mount up. Is this really hard? I voted interested, but it looks a little challenging...:shrug:

Frosty's sig said:
Sponsored by P.R.T.

Let your sponsor install them. :shrug: :laugh:

Mark

Mark, SVT3391, and others:
Thanks a lot for answering these questions! You guys have given all the correct answers and I don't see the need for adding anything to them. :cool:

Here is what I can do for those who are strapped for case -- Deposit down is 50% and you have 30 days to pay the remainder. When you pay for the remainder I ship the parts. It worked well for the previous group buy and I think it will work well again.
As far as having them as a regular Nautilus product: Only if the group buy of 10 or more front/rears is a go. The re-tooling fees with a new supplier will be high, but at least it won't be as high as the last one.
The plan is to wait until I have 10 front/rear positives or a least enough separate front/rears to satisfy the 10/10 and then I'll start taking deposits.
Like last time I'll need time to acquire the hardware and to verify that the new supplier can make the bracketry to standard. Last time it took me several months to get a decent bracket from the old supplier BEFORE I was even willing to do a group buy! Then I had to send the first batch back because they weren't up to standard. :nonono:
Anyway, I made everything in the last kit up to production standard and shipped in a timely manner despite all the setbacks.
I pledge to do the same with this and then afterwards we will continue to order stock and carry a few sets on hand. Again, I need the 10/10 before I will even start this though.
Thanks for all the support!

I am also a little leery about the grinding and how these get mounted. IIRC from the last thread there was some grinding, etc. that had to be done to get these to mount up. Is this really hard? I voted interested, but it looks a little challenging...:shrug:

bump to this. I am interested in both the front and rear but have limited tools. What all does the install entail/level of difficulty?

Let your sponsor install them. :shrug: :laugh:

Mark
LOL, that would be the obvious option, but he's got his hands full enough with my clutch, UIM/LIM cleaning/rebuild, etc. and some work on another car, not to mention his own before SZ. We'll see I guess :shrug:

bump to this. I am interested in both the front and rear but have limited tools. What all does the install entail/level of difficulty?

In the old group buy thread there are links to the instruction manuals. They explain every step in detail.

Let me briefly list what you'll need for Fronts:
-Basic sockets and wrenches.
-Dremel with grinding stone OR Air powered Die Grinder with stone or carbide bit. (used to clean up any casting flash on the stock caliper brackets so the rotors fit cleanly)
-Drill, 12mm bit And/OR a Rat-tail file and plenty of time to file out the stock steering knuckle bolt holes. You can use the bit and then use a chainsaw file or similar to widen out as necessary until the studs start to go in the holes snugly. Then hammer the studs in place.
-High temp paint to re-paint your caliper brackets after you grind on any metal you will want to protect against corrosion.
-brake parts cleaner and maybe some lube for the caliper slide pins
-Then you need 300mm Rotors.
You can reuse your old brake pads or buy new ones depending on thickness and if they have any wear patterns in them. Also it is a good time to put on braided stainless steel brake lines if you want them and you can clean everything up and paint.
The fronts are pretty easy.

Rears, Same tools as above with the addition of:
-dremel cutoff wheels to cut part of the rear dust shield to allow repositioning of the rear caliper.
-regular $30-40 hand grinder for some metal work on the steering knuckle
-sanding drum or bigger grinding stone to work the inside of your front SVT rotor hubs so they clear the rear hub.
The rear caliper brackets need a bit of work to provide proper clearance for the thicker rotors.

The instructions explain it well and you may just go to a machine shop for some help.
You'll find this in the "Moderate" difficulty rating and if you are inexperienced plan to do it over the weekend. You don't have to do both at the same time but with all the cleaning and painting you "could" be doing it is nice.

rear%20diagram.jpg

Please look in the group buy forum here for the old thread so you can read up and find the instruction manuals.
Thanks!

I'd be down for at least the rears if this thing flies. ;) I'm thinking i'd rather just go and get the full FSVT calipers, brackets, and rotors for up front but i'm not sure on that yet :cool:

I'd be down for at least the rears if this thing flies. ;) I'm thinking i'd rather just go and get the full FSVT calipers, brackets, and rotors for up front but i'm not sure on that yet :cool:

if I am not mistake doesn't the full FSVT front brakes run at least $300 and you have to core your original parts if you go through Bill J? at least I think that was the case ....

here you can get the same 300 mm rotors and also upgrade the rear brakes for the same price as just the FSVT parts ....

I know what I would do in this case :cool:

:laugh:

Yes the full FSVT is more expensive but you get a bigger pad, at least i think, and in this GB you still need to purchase the rotors for the 300mm fronts, so in reality you're only paying more for the calipers and brackets right? I'm no expert thats just what i get out of it. :ponder:

Yes the full FSVT is more expensive but you get a bigger pad, at least i think, and in this GB you still need to purchase the rotors for the 300mm fronts, so in reality you're only paying more for the calipers and brackets right? I'm no expert thats just what i get out of it. :ponder:

sounds like it, so its personal preference then ... well I don't know if the additional sweap area of the larger pad would make a difference or not

One thing that was mentioned before, was the FSVT calipers will have less pedal feel. I can't remember the reasoning, but people have said that it's got a softer pedal, and won't bite as hard as the CSVT calipers will. Just something to look into.

Mark

BAT has focus 300mm rotors for 54.xx for the plain versions. Just an FYI for you guys.

I am also tenatively interested in a front kit, and possibly rear. This is depending on when this would all go down.

One thing that was mentioned before, was the FSVT calipers will have less pedal feel. I can't remember the reasoning, but people have said that it's got a softer pedal, and won't bite as hard as the CSVT calipers will. Just something to look into.

Mark

That's interesting... thats not something i want to give up ;)

Mark

all I can think of is that if the FSVT caliper has a larger piston then the required force to move that piston will increase, the SVT caliper then in compairison would have a smaller area and be easier to move and possible quicker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back