• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

brake brackets: FSVT/SVT conversion kit

brake brackets: FSVT/SVT conversion kit

• Yes! I want both front and rear conversion kits to 300/280mm

Votes: 33 51.6%
  • Yes, but I'm only interested in the front FSVT 300mm kit

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Yes, but I'm only interested in the rear SVT 280mm kit

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • Interested but I can't do the work myself

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Interested but I won't buy because it looks too difficult

Votes: 6 9.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom, I think you should go with your idea and offer this kit on Nautaulis Performance. I will be ready to buy it in a month! I just spent too much money this month on my SVT, but I am going to need the braking power very soon! ;)

Will these front brakes work on my SE, I understand I'd have to convert my rears first?

the front kit will not work on the SE unless you have upgraded to SVT front brakes or can get the SVT caliper bracket

you do not need to convert the rears first to be able to convert the fronts, but if you do the fronts first and have good rotors you can put them on the rear and not have to buy new rotors for the back

the front kit will not work on the SE unless you have upgraded to SVT front brakes or can get the SVT caliper bracket

you do not need to convert the rears first to be able to convert the fronts, but if you do the fronts first and have good rotors you can put them on the rear and not have to buy new rotors for the back

now i'm confused, isn't this GB also including brackets and as far as i understood, u just change the brackets on an SE in order to upgrade to SVT's larger rotor. wouldn't this also apply to FSVT brakes(front), unless i'm just way off base here. I do have FSVT rims on my SE, so i don't have a fitment issue. :help:

now i'm confused, isn't this GB also including brackets and as far as i understood, u just change the brackets on an SE in order to upgrade to SVT's larger rotor. wouldn't this also apply to FSVT brakes(front), unless i'm just way off base here. I do have FSVT rims on my SE, so i don't have a fitment issue. :help:

you are correct, on the SE you change the caliper bracket to use the large SVT rotors. The bracket for the front in this kit takes the SVT front brakes from 278mm to 300mm, the SE comes with 260 mm front rotors ...

to use this kit you first need to have the SVT caliper bracket so you can fit the 278 mm rotors ...

the kit was designed for the SVT not the SE

also this kit doesn't replace the caliper bracket, it bolts to the bracket to move the caliper

you are correct, on the SE you change the caliper bracket to use the large SVT rotors. The bracket for the front in this kit takes the SVT front brakes from 278mm to 300mm, the SE comes with 260 mm front rotors ...

to use this kit you first need to have the SVT caliper bracket so you can fit the 278 mm rotors ...

the kit was designed for the SVT not the SE

also this kit doesn't replace the caliper bracket, it bolts to the bracket to move the caliper

i was afraid of that, but all i would really need to get is the SVT caliper brackets to install this kit? if thats the case, this would be a great upgrade for an SE. :rolleyes:

Being that I already have a SVT, I wouldn't need the rears, so I would be in on the front upgrade depending on when the group buy goes down. The later the better, money pwns me right now... I take it we would need to buy FSVT front brakes then?

My noob understanding is this:

I own a '99 Contour SVT.
With this setup:
The brackets will extend the clearance of the caliper from the middle to allow for a wider rotor.

The rear kit will allow me to place my EXISTING front rotors on the back (pending they are still in good condition) which will make the rear brakes capable of holding larger rotors than stock. If those fronts are no longer serviceable, I will just purchase a new set of front side rotors for the CSVT to place on my rear brakes.

The front kit will then allow larger rotors (which are commonly on the Focus SVT) to be placed in the front. Same reasoning - more clearance from the brackets.

I own a '99 Contour SVT.
With this setup:
The brackets will extend the clearance of the caliper from the middle to allow for a wider rotor.

The rear kit will allow me to place my EXISTING front rotors on the back (pending they are still in good condition) which will make the rear brakes capable of holding larger rotors than stock. If those fronts are no longer serviceable, I will just purchase a new set of front side rotors for the CSVT to place on my rear brakes.

The front kit will then allow larger rotors (which are commonly on the Focus SVT) to be placed in the front. Same reasoning - more clearance from the brackets.

yes you have it, the brackets move the caliper furthur from the center of the hub allowing for a larger rotor ... this also inceases the braking leverage therefor making the car stop better

also I believe warmonger commented that upgrading the front and rear will keep the stock braking bias and pedal feel, where as if you upgrade the front only you will obviously get some uneven brake bias .... If I am wrong I am sure he will correct me ...

I own a '99 Contour SVT.
With this setup:

DING DING DING!! I think KyleQ might be a little confused on the rear brake setup. Kyle, the fact that you have an SVT doesn't mean you can't get this upgrade. This upgrade is FOR the SVT. Unless you're satisfied with those tiny brakes in the rear. You should probably go with the front and rear, to take advantage of the full braking power, and biasing. Not to mention, the looks!

Mark

I am mistaken. So this kit moves my front rotors to the rear, and FSVT rotors to the front. Damn, thats awesome! Too bad I can't afford this right now, I'd love the bigger brakes. If this was offered on Nautaulis Performance I'd be down, because I wont be able to afford this for at least a month.

I am mistaken. So this kit moves my front rotors to the rear, and FSVT rotors to the front. Damn, thats awesome! Too bad I can't afford this right now, I'd love the bigger brakes. If this was offered on Nautaulis Performance I'd be down, because I wont be able to afford this for at least a month.

Also bear in mind that the FSVT rotors are not included. You get the kit from Nautilus Performance, and rotors elsewhere. From what I heard, people sourced their FSVT front rotors from
  • Ford OEM (BJenkins, Steve @ Tousley Ford, etc)
  • Bendix (Stazi)
  • BAT
  • Ebay (cross your fingers)
The price varies. Normally you see between $100 - $200. And they are heavy to ship. Some people (myself included) also do the braided brake lines at the same time.

Also bear in mind that the FSVT rotors are not included. You get the kit from Nautilus Performance, and rotors elsewhere. From what I heard, people sourced their FSVT front rotors from
  • Ford OEM (BJenkins, Steve @ Tousley Ford, etc)
  • Bendix (Stazi)
  • BAT
  • Ebay (cross your fingers)
The price varies. Normally you see between $100 - $200. And they are heavy to ship. Some people (myself included) also do the braided brake lines at the same time.

That is exelent news! I've got no problem getting the rotors, Steve @ Tousley Ford is only a 25min drive from my place, so no shipping worries there.. I'm totally going to do this, the rear brakes look silly small and I'm always a fan for stopping faster. I'd like to retract my vote and vote for fronts and rears!

I cannot use the 300mm rotors with some stock 15" fan blade cougar wheels can I? The reason i ask is because these are what i have my drag radials on and i don't want the front kit if i can't use my drag radials. But i might get the rear anyway.

also I believe warmonger commented that upgrading the front and rear will keep the stock braking bias and pedal feel, where as if you upgrade the front only you will obviously get some uneven brake bias .... If I am wrong I am sure he will correct me ...

this is not obvious to me, so, is this true?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back