• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Blowing fuse #34

hopefully just faulty wiring, but those are the most difficult to track down

For all I care I'll just rip the damn light out as it really doesn't do a whole lot of good. Then again, if I do pull it out I'll end up with a PATS problem of some kind that I won't be able to diagnose without it :) Thanks for the clarification on how the light works, though. I'm going to start pulling the dash apart and try to trace wires as best as I can.

The funny thing is it is becoming more of a matter of principle. I don't really care that much about having interior lights, and I could wire the radio directly to the battery if I wanted, but this is starting to piss me off. I really want to know what's causing this.

according to my book F34 runs the clock and the cigar lighter. Maybe you should check those over before you rip the dash out ...G.

according to my book F34 runs the clock and the cigar lighter. Maybe you should check those over before you rip the dash out ...G.

Is your book a Haynes or Chilton manual? In any event that is not correct; F27 is the cigarette lighter. Also, a 2000 doesn't have a clock, but it is correct that F34 does power them in Contours that have them.

dude this sucks.
i was hoping your next update would be a good one.
:(

No worries. Whatever it is it's just not visible within the few inches of wires that can be seen. The silver lining is that with the dash out I can take care of the last little bit of dash warp.

Is your book a Haynes or Chilton manual? In any event that is not correct; F27 is the cigarette lighter..
My bad .... the light surrounding the cigar lighter is F34 controlled
Also, a 2000 doesn't have a clock, but it is correct that F34 does power them in Contours that have them.
really .. doesn't the 2000 have the dash mounted trip/clock /temp module ? ...G

My bad .... the light surrounding the cigar lighter is F34 controlled really .. doesn't the 2000 have the dash mounted trip/clock /temp module ? ...G

In the US there is no Contour with the trip/clock/temp display; I believe the Cougar has that though. At some point in '99 the console changed from having a clock to having the "Contour" logo.

oh yeah .. oh well, one for the mod's list ...G.
IMG_0613.jpg

Ok, so pole helped to trace the wiring and through process of elimination (and another 5 pack of fuses) he isolated the short to one plug in the fuse box. It has only two wires, both orange/yellow, and is labeled C365 in the wiring diagrams. More troubleshooting revealed that it's one of the wires; the one that ends up in the green plug at the junction box. We traced that on another wiring harness he had in a box and it becomes an orange/black wire that heads to the fuse box in the engine bay. The other wire is for the power mirrors.

To help figure out what is on that wire, we cut it and crimped on a plug so I can reconnect it later. Long story short (too late) the fuse doesn't blow now, but all of the interior lights don't turn off when the doors are closed. This leads me to think that other wire heads to the central timer module. I'll start looking at that this week.

Excellent progress!

That wire, according to the EVTM (Cell 700-03-00-026), goes from C365 pin 4 to connector C58-14 to splice S320. From S320, there arre two wires: Orange/White to the Anti-Theft/Central Locking Module and an Orange/Blue. The OR/BU wire goes to pin 18 or C148, becomes OR/YE, then goes to the driver's side front entry lamp.

I think the idea of it going back to the engine compartment is a result of "crossed wires" as the EVTM doesn't show that.

If you don't have the ETVM for the 00 Contour, let me know which diagrams you might need.

So I am (as pole can attest) an idiot. I forgot that on later models the gauge dimmer can be clicked over to turn the interior lights on. Neither of my '98s have this, so I forget that it's there. I clicked it off and everything is good now. I still have no idea what that wire is for that we cut, but maybe someday I'll find out something isn't working.

:crazy: - DUH!

That was the only option on the 2k svt I got that I couldn't wait to try! haha - So everything is ok now with that wire cut/spliced?

Yeah, everything seems to be working; all of the interior lights, the radio, and the power mirrors. Everything outside of the car seems to be working, too.

glad to hear you figured it out (mostly)

are you sure the dimmer switch thing was later models only?
my SVT's dimmer switch turns the interior lights on when turned all the way.

Back