• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Blowing fuse #34

My 1997 Contour is having this same issue, but I have not found an easy fix, just yet. Tried all the basics, but she's still blowing fuse 34 immediately. I am just not sure what to try next. I have inspected everything that has to do with that switch, and even disconnected it to be sure. Nothing. :shrug:

I created a separate thread as well in the sub-section of the forum. Any ideas? Thank you in advance! :)

I'm glad that you got it fixed...kinda. I wonder if that wire powers some non-essential. Did the '00 have a trunk light?

Just an FYI, if there's a problem where you are blowing fuses, you can temporarily replace the fuse with a light bulb. When there is too much current, the light bulb will light. You just need a light bulb that is about the same size as whet fuse that it is substituting. If you see the bulb light up, you know that there is a problem. The bulb limits the current so you won't melt any wiring.

I've got a couple of old school rectangular headlights out of my '88 Accord that I use. They have both a low and high beam. Depending on the fuse size, I could use low, the high, or both. IIRC , low was 5 amps, high was 7. So the both lights and both filaments connected in series, I could use it to replace a 25-30 amp fuse.

BTW, a fuses' legs are the same size as a 0.25" crimp terminal.

HTH,
BP

I still have no idea what that wire is for that we cut, but maybe someday I'll find out something isn't working.

I now know. I was able to confirm:

That wire, according to the EVTM (Cell 700-03-00-026), goes from C365 pin 4 to connector C58-14 to splice S320. From S320, there arre two wires: Orange/White to the Anti-Theft/Central Locking Module

That's the one. It won't go into programming mode; jumpering the wire behind the glovebox doesn't cause the horn to chirp. Now I guess I have to find out where it's shorting.

Last edited:
Back