• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

April 21st Meet! Fox Lake, WI FREE ALL YOU CAN EAT STEAK!

I'll take you up on that... something in my car is freakin wacked... the speakers "crack" at higher volumes (which isnt high at all) I think the front Audiobahn speakers are blown.. maybe I will pick up another set and have you install them -- also does EVERY CSVT out there have speakers that cut in and out? as in you lose sound on a side, round a corner fast and bam, your sound comes back? My stereo sounds like complete crap... my engine is louder than the sound unless I want to hear cracking and god aweful noises.

I have the factory stereo in my car, but I put after market pioneer 4-way 6x8's. For some reason mine seems like the left side now and then just gets soft, or cuts out, unless it's just my hearing.... Then just comes back, nothing to do with corners though. Is your HU integrated with the factory amp, or is it bypassed... cause it may be the amp if you integrated, if not, could be grounding out or something, or blown.... basically it's hard to tell for sure without looking closely and doing process of elimination...

I have the factory stereo in my car, but I put after market pioneer 4-way 6x8's. For some reason mine seems like the left side now and then just gets soft, or cuts out, unless it's just my hearing.... Then just comes back, nothing to do with corners though. Is your HU integrated with the factory amp, or is it bypassed... cause it may be the amp if you integrated, if not, could be grounding out or something, or blown.... basically it's hard to tell for sure without looking closely and doing process of elimination...

bypassed.

its been that way ever since I replaced the speakers --- I have some 6.5 Audiobahn 3 ways in the front and Pioneer 5x7 3 ways in the rear... as soon as I turn the volume up a few knotches I get extreme cracking and distortion out of what seems to be the passenger side front and rear.

I already swapped Head Units a few times and that did not solve the problem.

Well, I'd probably start at the wiring connections, and trace them to the speakers... may have to pull the door panels and test the wires end to end, and see if they are grounding out somewhere or pinched.... I'm just sitting here trying to brainstorm, but it's 1:40 am... All I can think of are wires and speakers, but that's awfully odd for 2 different speakers to crackle that badly... Going to have to listen to them to see how bad it is, I'm willing to bet on a bad connection...

Can't wait till next week!!!!! I'm hungry!!!!!

or maybe the positive and negatives are reversed? but I didnt think if that is the case it would sound like that...?

I'm bringin my pal Chris who is a fellow STi owner.... be prepared, this kid can eat LOL

My SVT needs work before the meet.....my starter began to act funny yesterday :( This spring is not going well at all :help:

we had to replace the starter in Waynes SVT at the end of last year... I probably could have done it myself but opted to just have a mechanic do it.. cost about 200.00

starter itself shouldnt be too much, especially if you can return your core locally or at the same time as the purchase.

My SVT needs work before the meet.....my starter began to act funny yesterday :( This spring is not going well at all :help:

Not fun to replace, I have pictures and was beginning to write a how-to on starter replacement.... but I never got it finished... :(

or maybe the positive and negatives are reversed? but I didnt think if that is the case it would sound like that...?

I'm bringin my pal Chris who is a fellow STi owner.... be prepared, this kid can eat LOL

Even if they were, they'd be out of phase, they shouldn't crackle.... I have a way to test for phase, but we would need to take panels off to see the actual speaker, unless you can see the cone through the grill, because I know I can't on mine...

Last edited:
I have a test CD that tests for out of phase and I believe it stated I was... LOL

feel free to remove my panels... I wont stop you.. I'll bring some tools to the meet.

I have a test CD that tests for out of phase and I believe it stated I was... LOL

feel free to remove my panels... I wont stop you.. I'll bring some tools to the meet.

You have a CD that can test that... I may have to burn a copy...

yah.. its a cleaner CD that puts the system thru 12 tests..

I also have another CD which is a USIAC one which is awesome for testing bass and whatnot but I dont know where it is. that one is killer... I'll try and find it.

yah.. its a cleaner CD that puts the system thru 12 tests..

I also have another CD which is a USIAC one which is awesome for testing bass and whatnot but I dont know where it is. that one is killer... I'll try and find it.

That'd be awesome if you could find those cd's, I'd sure like to make a copy to use at work and home for testing. Bring my CD-R's and a notebook.

whats it doin?
Well, when I bought the SVT Tony told me that occasionally it wouldn't engage and would just spin. I had it happen to me twice last year and both times was only for 1 turn of the key, next turn and it would fire just fine. Yesterday I walk out of work and all it does is spin. After about 5-10 min. waiting for my mom to come out it finally turned over. Had to go to B&B Ford to pick up some more parts that I ordered and it did the same thing. I will be checking the starter and/or replacing it as soon as this stupid weather goes away. I have the Ford dealership tech books that came with my purchase of the SVT and it doesn't look to be too complicated to do on my own :shrug: I don't have $200 to drop at a dealership right now...

Well, when I bought the SVT Tony told me that occasionally it wouldn't engage and would just spin. I had it happen to me twice last year and both times was only for 1 turn of the key, next turn and it would fire just fine. Yesterday I walk out of work and all it does is spin. After about 5-10 min. waiting for my mom to come out it finally turned over. Had to go to B&B Ford to pick up some more parts that I ordered and it did the same thing. I will be checking the starter and/or replacing it as soon as this stupid weather goes away. I have the Ford dealership tech books that came with my purchase of the SVT and it doesn't look to be too complicated to do on my own :shrug: I don't have $200 to drop at a dealership right now...

I have pictures and notes on how to do this, I just haven't been motivated enough to compile it with work and school going on... It is a pretty big pain in the ass....

Don't worry....I'll have everything on video...since i'm being my video camra....hey this meet "might" end up on "youtube"

Sweet!

Back