• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

another Spec Stage 3+ failure

Wow, I just caught this thread. That really sucks Brian! What was the mileage on your clutch? IIIRC, it just went in with the 3L or turbo right?

yes it was installed with the 3L and broken in N/A. after 1k miles I installed the turbo.

I have ~7k on the clutch.

yes it was installed with the 3L and broken in N/A. after 1k miles I installed the turbo.

I have ~7k on the clutch.

I am just thinking how lucky you are that it didn't go out on you on your way to or from SZ. :eek: The day mine went out, I drive to and from duluth, that is a 120 miles round trip...it went out when I decided to go out to my dads....I was only about 2 miles from my house.

I am just thinking how lucky you are that it didn't go out on you on your way to or from SZ. :eek: The day mine went out, I drive to and from duluth, that is a 120 miles round trip...it went out when I decided to go out to my dads....I was only about 2 miles from my house.

um it did go out during SZ. thursday it was ok. after that I had to bleed it every morning to make it work. I got to Buffalo before I couldn't make it work anymore monday morning....

what pressure plate are you using with it? how is the driveability?

i'm using the spec stage3 pressure plate. it works fine. drivability is great. it actually engages like a stock clutch until you really slam on it.

the only thing i hate is the clutch chatter, but i'm believing more every day that its the pressure plate making noise and not the disc.

clutchnet all the way man, just dooooo it!

that is what I am thinking. the finders on my pressure plate show whitness marks from the springs in the clutch disk so I am going to replace it also. I like the clutchnet design and need to send them an email to see if they can make something like the spec stage 3+ because I liked how it grabbed, etc and its driveability.

i'm using the spec stage3 pressure plate. it works fine. drivability is great. it actually engages like a stock clutch until you really slam on it.

the only thing i hate is the clutch chatter, but i'm believing more every day that its the pressure plate making noise and not the disc.

clutchnet all the way man, just dooooo it!

I was going to do it, but didn't know if there was a combination I could use or couldn't use with the PP and flywheel, so i just ordered all stock SVT stuff. Oh well, at least I know it will work.

I was going to do it, but didn't know if there was a combination I could use or couldn't use with the PP and flywheel, so i just ordered all stock SVT stuff. Oh well, at least I know it will work.

it'll work, but your setup kinda calls for a beefier clutch setup. especially if you tune it, boost it, etc. /shrug

it'll work, but your setup kinda calls for a beefier clutch setup. especially if you tune it, boost it, etc. /shrug

Blackcoog said it will be fine since it works for his cougar set up....I don't beat on the car anyway....even though I was told to. :laugh:

Was looking around on clutchnet... HOLY F!

3button_sprung01.jpg

he had a stock clutch at 225 whp N/A. it slipped shortly after he supercharged his car.

either way, you make less than him ;) :p so you'll be fine.

I have been in contact with Spec. The official reply from Spec is that input shaft play in the transmission caused exesssive spring movement leading to the spring cage failure.

myself, Stazi, TH, my father (an automechanic/machinist), and some of my fellow engineers at work all believe this failure is a materials and/or design problem based on the same pictures I sent to spec.

for reference this is the thread with pictures that I forwarded to Spec for review.

http://www.newcougar.org/forums/transmission-performance/136394-spec-clutch-failures-post-here.html

Last edited:
clutchnet can make you anything you want. yes, they can duplicate your spec stage3 but with better materials and close the windows so the springs can never eject from the hub.

thats what they did with my clutch disc, they made it so i could use my spec PP too

yeah I have read that the clutchnet pressure plates maynot be the best. I found a post while searching the net about searching out dodge pp failures. it seems most have been happy with the clutchnet disks.

Do you think that welding in the little metal "flaps" that hold the springs in on each corner could strengthen it up an be able to hold the springs in?

I was just looking at the brand new STAGE 3+ I have yet to install, and it seems like if the corners where the little holes are on each spring section were welded and the flaps were welded together at each corner, it would keep the springs from breaking through retaining "flaps"...

It looks like, from your pics, that one side of the flaps will snap off and then the spring will push into that side and then pop out... if they were reinforced a bit, maybe they wouldn't break through and pop out?

If you come by for the stock SVT disc you asked about, I can show you what I am thinking of... I would hate to just throw away the money I spent on this Stage 3+, and not even get to use it! :(

that maybe possible but what I am thinking now is that the material is correct. ie it should be heat treated to obtain the correct properties but it wasn't done or something like that. depending on the condition of the metal welding it could weaken it more at those points.

It could be worth a shot. but then again the factory clutches have even less of a spring cage and they never come out. at least I haven't head of more then one in 9 years.

got a good one.

put an email into Luk asking if they had a clutch that would handle the power that a 3L turbo makes. I was informed that they no longer make a clutch that would work in that application. They just supply OEM clutches again now ....

Back