• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

another Spec Stage 3+ failure

when I drove my SVT back to back with my SE before the 3L I felt that the SVT rev'd up fast and was smoother but the se felt like it had more torque.

That was one of the first things I noticed when I went from the SE to the SVT...how much faster it did rev up.

looks like the slave was leaking alittle also. with the build up of dust on the inside of the trans I wonder if it was mixed with brake fluid. however I never noted any loss of fluid.

slave will be changed.

DSC05326.jpg

DSC05327.jpg

DSC05329.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder if they changed the metal they make the clutch out of or something for it to start doing this.

I wonder if they changed the metal they make the clutch out of or something for it to start doing this.

maybe. I saw on neco that dang posted photos of a failed stage 1 clutch. and wouldn't you know it looks to me the hub of the clutch disk on the stage one is the same as the stage 3+ :rolleyes: :nonono:

I noticed on Clutchnet's website that you can either get the solid hub or a spring hub. They have a few different selections but I just dunno what one I would want. They have 2 carbon metallic ones but the only difference I see in them is a part number. Both are solid hubs so no spring failure.

is that the one he is using in his car? Im not sure which one I want to go with. I also plan to get a matching pressure plate since mine shows whitness marks on the fingers. So I am not going to take any chances reusing it.

No, he has a spec 3+ as well. He said so far he hasn't had any problems...knock on wood!

But he figured that would be a good engauging clutch for what I would need with engine.

I think this is the one TRicker went with. He says it similar to the Spec 3+ but is a lot less noisy since the splines line up exactly as they should.
http://www.clutchnet.com/product.php?productid=17494&cat=161&page=1

I think this is the one TRicker went with. He says it similar to the Spec 3+ but is a lot less noisy since the splines line up exactly as they should.
http://www.clutchnet.com/product.php?productid=17494&cat=161&page=1

that would be like a standard stage 3 since its a 6 puck.

No, he has a spec 3+ as well. He said so far he hasn't had any problems...knock on wood!

could be like the older stage 1 clutches that some have ahd for 40k now. something definately changed in how or what was used to make the clutch in the recent past.

I noticed on Clutchnet's website that you can either get the solid hub or a spring hub. They have a few different selections but I just dunno what one I would want. They have 2 carbon metallic ones but the only difference I see in them is a part number. Both are solid hubs so no spring failure.
I would probably go with the one elraido posted. Sprung hub "Fiber Carbon" yellow disc. Solid hub is designed more for just racing. It would be very on/off. There wouldn't be any give in the disc.

I think TRicker might have the solid hub "red" disc, I'm not 100% sure on that though.

I would probably go with the one elraido posted. Sprung hub "Fiber Carbon" yellow disc. Solid hub is designed more for just racing. It would be very on/off. There wouldn't be any give in the disc.

I think TRicker might have the solid hub "red" disc, I'm not 100% sure on that though.

he posted that he got a red, sprung clutch disk.

Wow, I just caught this thread. That really sucks Brian! What was the mileage on your clutch? IIRC, it just went in with the 3L or turbo right?

I'm getting close to needing a replacement clutch on my SVT, but I don't know what to go with anymore. I have a SPEC Stage 1 that has just under 60k miles on it and it's never given me a problem. Since I probably won't be doing forced induction anytime soon, I'm tempted to just go back to a stock SVT clutch, although the 3L might be a little too much for it. :mad: :ponder:

Wow, I just caught this thread. That really sucks Brian! What was the mileage on your clutch? IIIRC, it just went in with the 3L or turbo right?

I'm getting close to needing a replacement clutch on my SVT, but I don't know what to go with anymore. I have a SPEC Stage 1 that has just under 60k miles on it and it's never given me a problem. Since I probably won't be doing forced induction anytime soon, I'm tempted to just go back to a stock SVT clutch, although the 3L might be a little too much for it. :mad: :ponder:

blackcoog says the stock should hold up fine. his did fine even on his cougar up until the higher RPM's, then it would slip.

Right now I would suggest either stock or clutchnet. avoid spec until this gets figured out.

Back