• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

another Spec Stage 3+ failure

pressure plate and clutch disk only with shipping was $387.

I used the tob that came with my spec clutch. Its identical to the one that came with my OEM SVT clutch kit. I had a new one in the mtx when I got it so I didn't use the one spec provided.

pressure plate and clutch disk only with shipping was $387.

I used the tob that came with my spec clutch. Its identical to the one that came with my OEM SVT clutch kit. I had a new one in the mtx when I got it so I didn't use the one spec provided.

Wow - that is cheap compared to what I paid for the Spec 3+! I'll order one up in two weeks.

yeah I think the stage 3+ was near $500 or something like that?

anyway the pp was $210 and the disk was $155.

I am finding with more driving that the more I try to slip the clutch the more chatter I get. It does release quickly pretty easily so its not bad and I am do it in a way that it isn't chattering. Grip is good as I got on it alittle through the gears and it felt good.

I'm thinking that my motor mount is shot or has alot of slop in it and it letting the enigne bounce around more then it should.

whoa. ive gone through of these pages but not all of them. i need to get one for the stazy/ryan mobile. what do you all suggest? im clueless :help:

whoa. ive gone through of these pages but not all of them. i need to get one for the stazy/ryan mobile. what do you all suggest? im clueless :help:

from what I understand it had a Spec Stage 3. the Clutchnet Red 6 puck disk that I, tricker and a few others got would be the closest match. if you liked how the car drove I would go with that one.

Brian we need video!

video of?

car is driving well but I have noticed a slight grinding noise a few times when I have down shifted and released the clutch, but it isn't everytime. Im still fighting to get smooth engagements out of it all the time. It seems alot its really smooth until I am just about done releasing the clutch then it will chatter alittle and you can feel the engine shake and the exhaust tap the tunnel.

video of?

car is driving well but I have noticed a slight grinding noise a few times when I have down shifted and released the clutch, but it isn't everytime. \
Sounds like my 3+, try rev-matching it to the EXACT RPM and it should cure it.

Sounds like my 3+, try rev-matching it to the EXACT RPM and it should cure it.

yeah in both occations that i really noticed it yesterday I was coasting and had downshifted to 3rd and released the clutch after alittle. I really noticed it when I was getting off the highway.

I'll try to get some video.

Like I said try to rev-match it and let me know how it goes. My spec is the exact same thing, it goes EERRRRRR

yeah when I noticed it I didn't rev match well enough. don't recall it from my spec. but it was random so it sounds like thats what it is.

What exactly is the clutch doing when it "chatters", what part is making the noise?

What exactly is the clutch doing when it "chatters", what part is making the noise?

clutch chatter isn't a noise, its a vibration. the power terrain mounts load and unload and shake the car. I get alittle at the very tail end of engagement of the clutch. its kinda annoying. but I think I could use a new motor mount and that would help. my sense is its coming from there.

Never had any chatter or noise from my Spec 3+.

I didn't have any chatter from my spec 3+ until just about the end. Im guessing it was when teh springs started to come out and it started acting more like a solid hub clutch. noise was rare.

but then again the full face was suppose to reduce the chatter since it would be more like stock in that sense.

from what I understand it had a Spec Stage 3. the Clutchnet Red 6 puck disk that I, tricker and a few others got would be the closest match. if you liked how the car drove I would go with that one.

Steve - this is the setup going in the "other" car, so you'll have a chance to test it out. Though I have been recommending it to you all along... :shrug::laugh:

Back