• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Another CEG'r doing a MPV 3.0 swap

the fordcontour.org guys in ohio (dom and billy) do MPV swaps frequently iirc
I'm always a day late and a dollar short :( lol oh well maybe im the first to use the MPV UIM if not oh well they can roll like that in ohio but were in the sun shine state i'll just do it and be excited to be a lil different :)

Well it's Friday morning it's about 9:10am I'm on my way to Sebring FL to pick up the Mazda MPV 3L total 32K miles $744.00 total, after taxes and core charge ... pics of her coming soon!

Suprise!!!! Mazda MPV 3L for 695.50 out the door.. no core charge and its got 28k miles. Whoot whoot!!! Pics when I get home...

DRUM ROLL !!!!!!!!!!!!

Say Cheese !!!

PreMazdaMPV3L001.jpg

PreMazdaMPV3L002.jpg

PreMazdaMPV3L003.jpg

PreMazdaMPV3L004.jpg

PreMazdaMPV3L006.jpg

MazdaMPV3LB4.jpg

My lil helper ;)

AAA is towing the tour back to my house now i'll have more pics .. hope the 2.5 is out by sunday night ..

Ok so a fellow ceg'r posted this in a pm for me anyone wanna add to it, take away from it or has anyone went this route ? Just curious..

Posted From Terry Haines on fordcontour.org. :

The aim is to still be able to control fuel pressure to a single feed fuel rail by a vac type FPR. It's quite easy. You can,if you wish,buy an aftermarket block that takes the std FPR and is a 'plug in & play' part...but if you think about it all you need to do is provide a pressure control leakback system for a return style line. Both Dom and I have done this many ways but this will give you a rough idea.The main point is NO FUEL LEAKS so use only premium parts etc.

First off you need to 'T' into the main fuel feed line close to the quick connect to the fuel rail.
I have used steel barbed 'T's of the correct size.
Genuine HP fuel injection spec fuel line can be used here,MUST BE FI spec and retined with double clamps,not worm dive but 'screw and nut type clamps.
Remove the FPR block from the old fuel rail.
Retain the outlet side of the block with the quick connect. Cut off the inlet side flush with the block.
Drill and tap for the correct size of 'male screw in/barb hose type connector.
Connect the central part of the 'T' to the modded FPR block.
Now connect the outlet side with the quick connect to the existing fuel return line.

You now have a way to control the fuel pressure in the existing 'dead head' type fuel rail.
It works fine.many other methods have beed devised but as you can see this set up will regulate fuel rail pressure by the FPR leak/return line..oh yes,connect a vac source to the FPR and you will be set..easy eh!!

Last 2 Swaps i have done Ive pulled the tranny with the motor has anyone done this without pulling the tranny ??? just curious how it worked out if it worked out at all ..

On my 3L swap, I removed the engine with the tranny. I think its gonna be a PITA to remove the transmission bolts in the car.

yeah i did the same thing last time .. motor and tranny @ the same time .. just wondering if anyone has done it without pulling the tranny .. anyway pulling it tomorrow .. will post pics i think ive gotten everything i can pull minus the hub part because i need to rent a hub puller tool tomorrow...

It's easier just to pull them like you've been doing. You can't get enough room to split the trans and the motor unless you drop the subframe and that is going to be too much work.

Well I just stopped by auto zone and i rented the hub pulled and slide hammer tool .. Also picked up a fuel line disconnect tool so those are my last 2 things on the list befor it comes out... With graduation tomorrow I'm sure I'll be too busy to work on it but hopefully by Friday it will be out..

yoy are corect he will source a taurus tb since the MPV and escape tbs are reversed therefore the cable goes the opposite way.

got my taurus TB today it's almost identical to the MPV TB i'll post pics soon ... cable still needs to go around like the MPV and and it doesn't fit well.. the coolant in-line on the taurus throttle body hits the fuel rail on the MPV motor .... any word on this ? maybe this is why no one has made this full swap work... im not giving up, but does anyone have any suggestions ..

i need to see pics to verify, but the metal lines on the Taurus TB that dont go to anything can just be removed. they do not go into the TB bore, just pass through the section at the bottom and connect to each other. not sure what they were used for on the Taurus.

Sir you are correct! I just went back outside with my plyers and moved them they were sketchy and didn't wanna move but it finally budged after a lil pb blaster was sprayed onto it... Also my only concern is the plug that plugs into the Taurus tb is facing Inward and hits the mpv intake manifold when it's plugged in ... And to un plug it you need to unscrew the plug or take off the throttle body.. I'm on my iPad and can't upload my pics .... But I'll show pics soon.. Thanks for the quick advice..

Also my only concern is the plug that plugs into the Taurus tb is facing Inward and hits the mpv intake manifold when it's plugged in ... And to un plug it you need to unscrew the plug or take off the throttle body..
That plug is the throttle position sensor, I swapped the Escape TPS into the Taurus tb, but honestly I think you can just remove it and turn it around.

So your throttle cable pulls from the same side as the MPV tb did? That should be the opposite.

That plug is the throttle position sensor, I swapped the Escape TPS into the Taurus tb, but honestly I think you can just remove it and turn it around.

So your throttle cable pulls from the same side as the MPV tb did? That should be the opposite.

No, they only rotate one way. If you just reverse it and try to rotate the throttle body shaft you will break the sensor. There are a couple iterations of the TPS and I think you want one from an 04 taurus. I've got one that puts the connector towards the UIM and another that puts it away from the UIM but i'm not 100% sure which came off of what car as they were from the junkyard. I can say they were all taurus parts though.

Yeah pulls from the same side but the Taurus t.b. pulls from the bottom not the top like the Mazda mpv ..

Pics below are pics of the MPV with the Taurus TB

See how close the tab is .. it's actually hitting the MPV UIM
TaurusTB005.jpg

Same picture as above but from side view
TaurusTB004.jpg

The Cruse control tab is crazy close as well ... :/
TaurusTB003.jpg

Both pics below are of the Taurus TB after i moved the coolant tubes
TaurusTB002.jpg

TaurusTB001.jpg

As for the sensor it fits just fits really tight.. (See above) And yeah I know it can't be turned around I tried To see if it's possible and realized it only works as is.. As soon as I get the time and weather cooperates I'll have the motor out.. With me working all weekend and mothers day I'm thinking it will be Wednesday before the motor is out and thursday before the 3L goes in..

No, they only rotate one way. If you just reverse it and try to rotate the throttle body shaft you will break the sensor. There are a couple iterations of the TPS and I think you want one from an 04 taurus. I've got one that puts the connector towards the UIM and another that puts it away from the UIM but i'm not 100% sure which came off of what car as they were from the junkyard. I can say they were all taurus parts though.

Ok I was way off there. In my case I took the Escape TPS which faced away from the UIM and put it in place of the Taurus TPS. You could most likely put the MPV TPS on the Taurus TB. The TPS was a real pain to remove though.

Back