• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3 Liter intake on 2.5

Another busy weekend. I installed the ported manifold on my auto tranny car. after first installing the set up it definately has more pick up over the standard contour manifold. gas mileage is still the same as before. I also cleaned up some bits and color matched them.

100_1439.jpg

I took the other manifold and got more agressive with the porting. the inlet is identical to the first one. but the outlets are matched to the gasket and blended in a few inches. not the best pic.
100_1445.jpg

I also optimized the TB and added some color. doesnt photograph very well but it does look okay.
100_1446.jpg

100_1444.jpg

next weekend I will finish this.

I got enough time to get this put on
100_1450.jpg

I put around 70 miles on it today. mixed city and highway. pulls pretty good and I can break the wheels loose in 1st gear at 3500 RPMs. no John Force burnout, but I get a little tire shake.
When I opened up the runner outlets I didnt remove the center section because I thought leaving it would still add 3/4 inch to the runner on the lower intake. manifolds are only 25 dollars so I may get another and go all out on the porting. got other projects to complete first.

All things evolve I suppose. I got the hair to port the manifold on my auto car. I removed the port divider and blended the shape. it was actually easy to reshape and make all runners uniform.
Idle quality is unchanged and it feels different in the mid range. there is a hill near my house that I drive up a lot, the car seems stronger going up where as before I would have to press on the gas a little. Have to drive the crap out of it and see how mileage and performance are.

100_1456.jpg

I made a oil separator to help keep things clean. I saw it used on FEOA. its a Spectre inline fuel filter. its not visible , but still easy to check. 10 dollars, woo hoo. I'll check everything next weekend and if all is well I'll make another for my other car.

100_1459.jpg

I am at the max that I can port the outlet for this manifold. Just a couple bumps but they have been blended in and there appears to be no obstructions to flow. The shape is more or less dictated by the gasket shape. I have installed this and for the 12 miles I put on it , it runs good. My oil separator has changed color and has a couple drops in it. the inside of the manifold looked okay. No oil or other crud yet. long term use will tell if its doing as intended.
100_1461.jpg

100_1465.jpg

100_1472.jpg

Been checking things on the auto car, and the oil separator/pcv filter I made seems to be working okay. after a week the intake behind the TB is still clean and the filter is discolored. I like to think its keeping just a bit of crap from going in the intake.
100_1509.jpg

I'm not sure if that separator is designed for how much blowby our engines can have. That filter probably just soaks up the oil, but you really need a larger separator... and one that keeps the oil away from the air flow. That filter will eventually get gunked up and restrict the air flow too.

All things are a work in progress. when I get everything working perfect I will probably get rid of the car. Anywho, I got my MSDS headers and Y pipe for my auto trans car. Just have the Y pipe on now and it seems to compliment the set up. Still working on a better PCV system. pics in a couple weeks.

whats the point of disabling the split runners on the UIM? to me, having a single runner full 3.0, it seems like the split runners are the benefit of that intake...

The intakes were put on and tested in stages. First in stock form, then I drove drove both cars for a while to see how things changed. it seemed to make the car feel like it had more torque at lower RPMs. Second, I enlarged the runner outlets and opened the area behind the TB making it smoother. again I drove both cars for a while. both cars seemed to improve in the low to mid range again. The last mod to the manifold is where I removed the divider between the ports. after driving both cars for a while it seems to have improved the midrange . Right about 2500 RPMs is a lot more responsive and pulls harder. Still not great at higher RPMs 6000+ , but I almost never rev that high. at in town speeds it feels stronger. Back to your question, the point was to see how it changed the performance , good or bad. Still checking that one.

so your tearing up engineering that a team of treaned professionals set up, with only your butt-dyno as a measuring device? this sounds like my ricer buddy when he does something like putting HVAC insulation on his auto-zone intake and says he can "feel" the difference. chances are, your not really going to "feel" less than 5hp, and realistically, thats what you should expect from a little porting. destroying the runners on the other hadn, I'd expect to have a clearly defined LOSS in power, especially for your top end. if you keep buyin $25 UIM's you could just pick up a $300 full 3.0, that would have a bunch of low end torque!

your port work looks fairly clean though!

never said I was looking for max power. I wanted to see how the other manifold changed the way the car drove. and as stated I almost never rev past 4500 RPMs so top end isnt a concern for me.
the trained professionals stopped using the split port manifold for a reason and went to a single runner. I use gas mileage and performance over roads that I have driven for 11 years to determine if something is better or worse. I only have the 2 manifolds. so dont worry about me spending money. I dont do things because someone else did it.
I do appreciate your input.

my point is having a single runner running into a splif port head is a little crazy... doesnt make sense. do you understand how the two completely different port geometries work?

He understands and already explained why he was trying these UIMs out.

How about a ported 3L which is a single runner design in the heads that people put svt intakes on that are split port? We do it all the time - what ukravit is doing is not a big deal. It just changes the distribution of the flow and he is feeling the difference and giving us the best description he can without paying for a dyno every time he changes something.

"my point is having a single runner running into a splif port head is a little crazy... doesnt make sense. "

thats how it was done on the taurus engine I got the intake from. Do you understand that the ports are only split for 3/4 of on inch? and it went on top of the same type split port lower intake that the contour uses.
my research on this included an article that stated

Abstract

A significant issue of manifold design, not heretofore considered, is the geometric shape of the exit ports as a means for tailoring manifold performance. To investigate the efficacy of this strategy, three candidate exit-port geometries were considered: (a) an array of discrete slots, (b) an array of discrete circular apertures, and (c) a single, continuous longitudinal slot. In order to have a valid comparison of the impacts of these individual geometries, the total exit areas of all three were made identical. Numerical simulations of the turbulent flow within and exiting from these manifolds were performed using a turbulence model that had been previously established by comparison studies involving both simulations and experiments for situations related to that considered here. The numerical results indicated that the continuous single-slot geometry yielded the most uniform outflow from among those considered. With regard to practice the simplicity of manufacture of single-slot-equipped manifold has clear advantages.
Keywords: Manifolds; Exit-port geometry; Outflow uniformity; Turbulent flow

By the way , how did it turn out when you did it? Or are you only offering your opinion.

100_1518.jpg

kind of a pain to install. Drives more spunky now. been averaging 20.5 MPG in town with some spirited driving here and there. I would like to see an increase.

It took about 7 hours. But I cleaned everything that I removed and I repainted some brackets. That ate up an hour.
it was easier on the auto trans car than when I did my 5 speed one.

Back