• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3 Liter intake on 2.5

ukravit

CEG'er
I have been researching doing this for a while. 98 3 liter intake and TB. I was running the SVT intake and TB. EGR and all systems are working. only put a few miles on it , but it seems to run better. I have about 3/4 of an inch between the IAC and hood. The idle systems are a little different , but it idles at about 700-750. I got a spare brake booster hose and cut it to connect to manifold and I extended the TPS wiring about 6 inches. other than that no parts were moved or tore up and it can be returned to stock in about a half hour.
100_1392-1.jpg

Thanks. I always try to be neat when I do things. I put around 260 miles of mixed driving on the car. It has more guts up to 4500 RPMs , then it seems about the same as before. gas mileage was a bit better. nothing negative yet.

Wow man, I didn't think you were going to do this mod that quick - didn't I just see you about a week ago? :laugh:

Looks good, glad it worked out for you.

What'd you do for the EGR? Was it a simple swap over of taurus parts or modification of contour parts?

I know someone that's planning on doing this mod over the winter and having the car tuned in the spring. Actually i'm surprised he hasn't asked anything yet...

I'll explain the parts to modify. The EGR is made up from the top of the Taurus to the point where it starts to bend down and the Contour to a point about even with the valve cover. they are joined with a compression fitting. that allows for adjustments. the green vac line to the EGR is untouched and its original shape matches the Taurus manifold
The throttle linkage is part SVT TB and regular. the one on the left is the taurus. it works , but opens the TB way too fast. the one on the right is an SVT one it works much better. different cam on the shaft looks like an ATX TB to me. the cable bracket is an ATX bracket that I trimmed and bolted to the Taurus TB using the existing holes on the TB.
100_1397-1.jpg

the Taurus TB has an opening inside it for idle . and the throttle plate has a larger hole in it on the Taurus TB. it made the car idle about 100 RPMs faster.
100_1396-1.jpg

I rotated the acordian tube from the TB and the IAT sensor is on top now. the airfilter housing is tight but fits, could use a little trimming on the front mount that sits above the trans mount.
As I get more time I will refine a few things and take closer pictures. I want it to look like it came that way.

I have a 99 SE. Not sure how the SVT cams would change the driveability. They make the most difference at higher RPMs. I do most of my driving at 4000 RPMs or less, and there is a significant difference at the lower RPMs. I wont even guess at actual numbers. My car has MSDS headers and y pipe, XGT1 computer, SVT exhaust with 2 1/2 pipe to the rear y pipe, high flow cat. and I was using the SVT UIM and TB. It ran okay. its not peaky now, it pulls more even and highway mileage is up 1 1/2. I did some more work and made it cleaner. I turned an SVT cable bracket upside down and added a small piece to bolt it to the LIM, its very secure and I can use my cruise now
100_1400.jpg

I used the Taurus accordian tube and the airbox fits without hitting anything. I also put a 3 liter belt cover on it. I think it has a more factory look to it.
100_1402.jpg
100_1401.jpg

I will be doing this to my other Contour this weekend and will take better pictures. So far it's a cheap mod.

Finally got round to my other Contour, this is what I started with

100_1404.jpg

This shows the EGR tube with the compression fitting joining the Taurus and Contour pieces, you can also see how the PCV hose was moved to clear the TB. For the PCV hose I used the hose that runs from the UIM to the acordian. the one you put the plug in for moosing. shape and fit are good.

100_1410.jpg
100_1411.jpg

To adjust for throttle hang and idle issues I made a new TB gasket that doesnt have the hole for the passage on the TB. I covered that area with aluminum tape on both sides and drilled a hole. If the hole is too small it wont idle right when its cold, way too slow. on my automatic tranny Contour I used a 1/4th hole. seems to work pretty good.

100_1417.jpg

The end result is okay looking and runs fine. have to see if it changes gas mileage.

100_1414.jpg

there were some small diferences between the 2 cars, the 99 is a returnless fuel system with a 5 speed. And the 98 is a return fuel system with an auto trany. neither one hits the hood or throws a CEL.

Holy valve covers! HAHAHA - those look nice in there expecially for freebies!

I tried it out a few years back on a SVT engine I had in my Cougar with a SVT ECU. I didn't like it. I thought it lost power and it definately crapped out up top. I think even the Taurus guys who have that intake swap to the SVT intakes to get hp. Without dyno numbers showing before and after it's all hearsay though. Suffice to say if it's that close it's probably not worth the work. It's fun to be different though. Nice work, it looks good.

After trying this for a while I have returned one of the cars to the SVT intake. , while low speed driving was greatly improved the top end was lacking. would probably benifit from a tune. what is unusual is that highway mileage was up a bit , but in town mileage was down. driving style unchanged. I like the way it drove with the intake.
The auto tranny car seems to like the set up best. not really a surprize. mileage is so far about the same. just have to stop smashing the gas so much so I can get acurate numbers.
I will be putting the Taurus intake back on my car after I make a few changes. pics to come.

Been busy at work, finally got round to finishing the intake. enlarged the runner exits to just under gasket size. it doesnt photograph very well but its actually very smooth and is tapered in about 4 inches.

100_1435.jpg

I painted it black again and you can see where the opening is polished. it was enlarged , all obstructions were removed and made smooth to about 6 inches in . right about where it splits. I used a SVT Focus emblem on top.

100_1434.jpg

next weekend I can reinstall things

Back