• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3 Liter 2001 Taurus w/2004 Cams

BurritaSVT

Veteran CEG'er
I am finishing up the engine for a customer and we will be testing the 2004 cams with the SVT upper intake with the LIM mod with NPG cold-air system with gutted cats with my own custom y-pipe with catless only Res. We will run the setup stock tune with stock airbox then add a tune then we will switch out to NPG cold-air . The dyno will show all the gains with the setups then we will swap over to the oval port LIM and UIM to see if the power falls off like we suspect due to the resonance frequency of the ports and smaller ports. We will run the stock tune on that setup then cold air then tune and compare all the dynos

Here is the engine going in the customers' car for dynoing.

SkonsSVT 001.jpg

SkonsSVT 004.jpg

SkonsSVT 005.jpg

SkonsSVT 006.jpg

SkonsSVT 007.jpg

Aren't they the same? Or do you expect to see a difference in numbers between the 01 and 04 cams?

No cams are not the same the 01 only have .16 lift and the 04 have .19 lift on the intake side and exhaust side. Remember the SVT cams and the SE cams have .19 lift too the only cams that have low lift are the eariler 3 liters. Joey

Oh the duation on the SVT cams are much hotter than all the cams too.

Burrita, don't confuse people by just calling them 2004 cams. Not all 2004 model 3.0L engines had the same cams even among the non-vvt engines. Use the vehicle and year or even better the part number on the cams so that people know what exactly you are using.

For reference, read my post in this thread...
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=19592

Burrita, don't confuse people by just calling them 2004 cams. Not all 2004 model 3.0L engines had the same cams even among the non-vvt engines. Use the vehicle and year or even better the part number on the cams so that people know what exactly you are using.

For reference, read my post in this thread...
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=19592

Yes my bad I guess most 2005 all do from what I heard. Here are the final pics going in the car tomorrow. ehhhh long dayyyyyyyy
SkonsSVT 021.jpg

SkonsSVT 022.jpg

SkonsSVT 023.jpg

SkonsSVT 024.jpg

SkonsSVT 025.jpg

What fuel rail is that?

I didn't have the escape 2000-2004 fuel rail so I used the 3.0 mazda 6 VVT engine fuel rail which I am glad it works too because the VVT swaps are going to be the new swaps by 2008 in the cougars/contours while using the VVT cams (functional too)

I think it just looks really cool.

Did you have to braze it?

no I didn't have to vraze it I used this peice
Fuel Rail Mod 001small.jpg

this component I sell make the returnless fuel rails (oval port ones) work with the return style contour fuel lines. This product makes the 3 liter swaps even easier on fuell swaps or hybridnized ones like this one. Joey

no I didn't have to vraze it I used this peice
Fuel Rail Mod 001small.jpg

this component I sell make the returnless fuel rails (oval port ones) work with the return style contour fuel lines. This product makes the 3 liter swaps even easier on fuell swaps or hybridnized ones like this one. Joey

I'm still hoping for some sort of a quick how-to for this piece if you have time.

I was actually talking to a Guy who works for Ford Coperate in their powertrain department the other day. I told him that people had been mating 3L duratecs to MTX-75 transmissions, putting SVT cams and the SVT UIM and LIM onto the 3L motor, along with a turbo kit (nautalis kit) and were making 350ish horses. pending upon boost. He raised an eyebrow, sounded really interested in it, he told me Ford was going to start trying out some different turbo setups, so keep on the look out for turbocharged duratecs, because its a possibility.

Completely unrelated: He also told me that the new Microsoft Sync in the new focus and such, was actually developed with Apple Computer's help, which I found slightly interesting.

Back