• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3L ovalport cams having less lift..

warmonger

Hard-core CEG'er
Well it seems we have three separate people now that are measuring the escape cams and finding out that the lift on them is only 0.168" versus the SVT and SE cams being 0.188" or about 0.020" difference in lift!

Here is an excerpt from one of my emails that started this line of questioning and it explains what I've been trying to say that past week.
I convinced Ross "Kremit" that it would be worthwhile to test the escape cams into an SVT because of the higher peak in midrange torque they seem to be setup for and I thought that the better breathing would help the cams hold on longer. This was based on my theory that the SVT upper intake system actually worked better than the ovalport. I believe I was right on that fact but actually discovered more in the process.

warmonger said:
I was tipped off when I installed the escape cams into Kremit's car before I left Alabama. I was originally trying to prove the escape cams were good and would either produce good torque, or not. I ended up finding out they dropped a ton of power but the torque curve was NOT characteristic of the normal ovalport 3L dyno's where the power dropped off like a rock above 5200rpm. :eek: Instead, the torque curve was rather flat all the way across with a much slower dropoff. I attribute the flatter torque curve to the intake manifold tuning of the SVT manifold runners, but I attribute the lower overall peak numbers to the 0.020" lower lift that the escape cams have.
I was questioning the lift back at the beginning of the year reviewing both dynos and trying to figure out what could cause the lower output when everything was showing it should be much better.
So when Joey got in some escape and taurus cams I told him to check the measurements and he did and found out the lift is lower. Then today Justin measured his and confirmed the lift was 0.168" on his cams.
So Joey's cams are not the same ones that were in Kremit's engine, nor were the ones Justin measured, telling me that there are likely three sets with lower lift and probably all of them suck.
There is still no proof that the '04 rocker arms have any different rocker ratios but they definitely have a wider roller in the rocker arm. All else remains equal so I can't imagine without a geometry change in the rocker that there would be a way to get increased ratio. At a minimum the roller would have to be moved and it would also have to remain in contact with the base of the cam lobe meaning that any change in it would have to have the roller remain at the same radial distance to the cam lobe while STILL moving linearly closer to the hydraulic lash adjuster pivot point and further from the valve stem. With the same basic shape to the rocker I can't see this being a viable idea and I'm suspecting they just have a wider roller. I'm going to post this email content on the forums tonight hoping that someone will prove it right or wrong.

I know I mentioned this fact when I was building my 3L engine. The set of 3L oval cam I have in my parts bin (from an 2002 Taurus) measure at 1.675" lift. I measured the difference between the oval cams and my 2000 SVT cams at over .030" The SVT cams were a hair over .200" No I'm not pulling them out to measure again since this is higher them Tom's measurement. :p

Also for reference for all folks: any difference in actual lift in multiplied by the rocker ratio (finger followers) which is the 1.8-1.82 range.

Lift data below are in mm are are the actual lobe lift (not valve lift).

2.5L 1997-2000 Contour/Mystique/Mondeo ST170
All are F63E part number. Water Pump drive on LH Intake. 3/8" pitch sprockets.
Nominal lift: 4.79 Intake, 4.79 Exhaust

2.5L 1997-2000 Contour SVT/Mondeo ST200
F73E part number. Water Pump drive on LH Intake. 3/8" pitch sprockets.
Late 2000 Mondeo ST200. 1S7E-DA part number. 8mm pitch sprockets.
Nominal lift: 4.79 Intake, 4.82 Exhaust

3.0L 2001-2003 Taurus, 2001-2004 Escape, 2002-2003 MPV, 2001-2005 Tribute
All are 1F1E part number. Water Pump drive on LH Intake. 8mm pitch sprockets.
Nominal lift: 4.29 Intake, 4.68 Exhaust

3.0L 2002-2007 Mondeo ST220
All are 2S7E part number. Water Pump drive on LH Intake.
Nominal lift: 4.74 Intake, 4.81 Exhaust

3.0L 2004-2006 Taurus, 2005 Escape, 2004-2007 MPV
All are 3F1E part number. Water Pump drive on LH Intake.
Nominal lift: 4.73 Intake, 4.81 Exhaust

3.0L 2006-2008 Tribute
RH are 1F1E part number. LH are 6L8E-BA. Water Pump drive on LH Exhaust.

3.0L 2006-2008 Escape
RH are 3F1E part number. LH are 6L8E-A*. Water Pump drive on LH Exhaust.

Last edited:
Procyon, is it true the '04 and later rocker arms in the duratec have a 2:1 ratio rather than 1.8:1 like before?
The ratio should not have changed. There was a new follower that cam in around 2003/2004MY that was shaped a little different to reduce the chance that the RFF would fall off the lifter. If you look at the end that rests on the lifter, the edge will look dented in. It makes it wrap around the top of the lifter a little better. I would use them if your donor engine comes with them.

So the lift in the '04-'06 Taurus/Sable 3L engine is nearly the same as the SVT. Seems to confirm the observations that Dom & Terry had on the '05 motor they have been tinkering with. My question is now on the duration.... which should have only a minimal effect I would expect.

The ratio should not have changed. There was a new follower that cam in around 2003/2004MY that was shaped a little different to reduce the chance that the RFF would fall off the lifter. If you look at the end that rests on the lifter, the edge will look dented in. It makes it wrap around the top of the lifter a little better. I would use them if your donor engine comes with them.

Well the ford bulletin says it has the 2.0:1 ratio so is ford screw up in the head like they said the cams were all the same lift too. http://www.newcougar.org/forums/3-0l-duratec-performance/116823-manifold-debate-6.html

so is this a misprint we did prove that the source is not reliable by the cams specs so far. Joey

So the lift in the '04-'06 Taurus/Sable 3L engine is nearly the same as the SVT. Seems to confirm the observations that Dom & Terry had on the '05 motor they have been tinkering with. My question is now on the duration.... which should have only a minimal effect I would expect.

Geez, when did they say that? Is it dated the last couple of days? :rolleyes:

Dom called us alarmists and pretty much implied we were liars when we posted the ovalport cams have lower lift than SVT/SE cams.
If you look at the specs procyon posted (THANKS!) both escape/taurus/sable cams suck in those years.

Hopefully the data Rara and I collected will help you guys with your point....

Lift data below are in mm are are the actual lobe lift (not valve lift).

2.5L 1997-2000 Contour SVT/Mondeo ST200
All are F73E part number. Water Pump drive on LH Intake.
Nominal lift: 4.79 Intake, 4.82 Exhaust

3.0L 2001-2003 Taurus, 2001-2004 Escape, 2002-2003 MPV, 2001-2005 Tribute
All are 1F1E part number. Water Pump drive on LH Intake.

3.0L 2002 Mondeo ST220
All are 2S7E part number. Water Pump drive on LH Intake.
Nominal lift: 4.74 Intake, 4.81 Exhaust

3.0L 2004-2006 Taurus, 2005 Escape, 2004-2007 MPV
All are 3F1E part number. Water Pump drive on LH Intake.

3.0L 2006-2008 Tribute
RH are 1F1E part number. LH are 6L8E-BA. Water Pump drive on LH Exhaust.

3.0L 2006-2008 Escape
RH are 3F1E part number. LH are 6L8E-A*. Water Pump drive on LH Exhaust.

Spridget claims the measurements on the svt and 2005 taurus on the rocker arms are different .hmmmmmmmmm
http://www.newcougar.org/forums/3-0l-duratec-performance/116823-manifold-debate.html

Geez, when did they say that? Is it dated the last couple of days? :rolleyes:

Dom called us alarmists and pretty much implied we were liars when we posted the ovalport cams have lower lift than SVT/SE cams.
If you look at the specs procyon posted (THANKS!) both escape/taurus/sable cams suck in those years.

They've been saying the '05 engines have more potential power, but they appear to be focusing on the intake manifolds as the reason, not the cam lift.

Before that, the SVT cams were crap & old technology, not so much now.

I'm just confused at what is being *****ed about now, but I am at least confident in my plans at this point.

Last edited:
Back