• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3.0 liter!!! ha ha ha

this is your oppinion(I thought I said my 2 cents...lol). do some research before you do your swap this way you can find the pros and cons of the svt parts on your 3L. i went 3L with svt cams and uim,lim. i like it just do some research to see if this is what you want.

more opinion.... LOL

B4 O3, making a hybred 3L was not a bad way to go, but using 03's & later, 3L's it is best to just keep it a 3L and forget the SVT parts...

Another 2 cents down the drain...
AF

Last edited:
For the record, the Vulcan isn't an overhead cam engine at all. It's a 12-valve pushrod overhead VALVE engine.

AKA boat-anchor.

The Vulcan is a torque monster for it's design. My dad has it in his Taurus Wagon (2001 SES), and that puppy will more than chirp the tires in 2nd. Sounds great too. But i agree, the Duratec is a much better engine. I just wouldn't call the Vulcan a boat anchor

just wouldn't call the Vulcan a boat anchor

I don't think it fits in the engine bay..... but with enough loot anything can be done right......

just wouldn't call the Vulcan a boat anchor

I don't think it fits in the engine bay..... but with enough loot anything can be done right......

I wouldn't do a Vulcan swap when there are Duratecs everywhere. But calling it a boat anchor is like saying Vulcans are useless. In a Taurus (not a highly-modded CSVT), it's a great, extremely reliable engine.

The Vulcan is a torque monster for it's design. My dad has it in his Taurus Wagon (2001 SES), and that puppy will more than chirp the tires in 2nd. Sounds great too. But i agree, the Duratec is a much better engine. I just wouldn't call the Vulcan a boat anchor

Fair enough; being a pushrod design, it naturally has a good helping of torque, which feels great in stop-and-go. But wind that thing up and it just falls off to nothing, where the Duratec would just be starting the party :)

Fair enough; being a pushrod design, it naturally has a good helping of torque, which feels great in stop-and-go. But wind that thing up and it just falls off to nothing, where the Duratec would just be starting the party :)

True that. But there's nothing like instantly hazing tire at half throttle in a station wagon:laugh:

I wouldn't do a Vulcan swap when there are Duratecs everywhere. But calling it a boat anchor is like saying Vulcans are useless. In a Taurus (not a highly-modded CSVT), it's a great, extremely reliable engine.

I was in a Taurus Vulcan cab last week that had 326,xxx miles on it. Still ran like a champ! I was impressed. And you know they were HARD miles, it being a cab and all :help:

True that. But there's nothing like instantly hazing tire at half throttle in a station wagon:laugh:
That is truly something to enjoy...LOL....:laugh: :laugh:

Aussie Ford, are you being serious? :rolleyes:
LOL now why would you ask a question like that 3.0L are for fun not to be serious about. For every 3L and CEG'r there is a different way to build it and as long as it doesn't scatter all over the road..... it's goood! A lot of folks get way to wrapped in which is best and in the end it is all choice. Heck get one of each and put them on a track and see which one works best....:laugh:

I am now thinking about the 3.0 that will go in my 99 in about 40k miles from now. That's less than two years driving for me.

AF

I was in a Taurus Vulcan cab last week that had 326,xxx miles on it. Still ran like a champ! I was impressed. And you know they were HARD miles, it being a cab and all :help:

130 grand, and nothing but basic maintainance for us. My dad said "I never think o this as an old car because it doesn't feel like one."

And unless I'm mistaken, doesn't it get within 20 hp of the Duratec, even with its archaic design?

how old are you?

and im 24 yrs old lol for the guy who asked!

Yes, it was I who asked because you post like a teenager. You post after post without anyone even responding in between. You also made a post and then immediantly posted this pointless post...

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm sure you are very funny and make yourself laugh all the time, but chill when in public or on car forums. Just telling you this for your own good.

You also start typing your post in the subject area or something and then finish it in the post area where you were supposed to be typing all along. You just seemed childish and that is why I asked how old you are. No offense though. :laugh:

EDIT: Even the title of your thread screams childish and I need attention, etc...

Maybe I am just overreacting because I have been very sick for too long and I'm tired of not being able to eat real food and stuff, but anyone who knows me knows that I am very laid back and I never make a fuss unless someone really annoys me!

Reebs

Last edited:
Yes, it was I who asked because you post like a teenager. You post after post without anyone even responding in between. You also made a post and then immediantly posted this pointless post...

I'm sure you are very funny and make yourself laugh all the time, but chill when in public or on car forums. Just telling you this for your own good.

You also start typing your post in the subject area or something and then finish it in the post area where you were supposed to be typing all along. You just seemed childish and that is why I asked how old you are. No offense though. :laugh:

EDIT: Even the title of your thread screams childish and I need attention, etc...

Maybe I am just overreacting because I have been very sick for too long and I'm tired of not being able to eat real food and stuff, but anyone who knows me knows that I am very laid back and I never make a fuss unless someone really annoys me!

Reebs

that was harsh reebs :laugh:

well I just looked up the info for the 2004 taurus since I have a 04 3L going into my car :laugh:

Vulcan 155 hp
Duratec 200 hp

And what's the Duratec 2.5L SVT rated at...... 195 or 200 hmmmmm and the non SVT is rated at 175 hp..... so if it is at least equal to a stock SVT to start with in the comparable form to a non SVT 2.5 then with a bit of improvement it should reach 230 hp easily..... right? I like that idea.

Just Thinking

Maybe I am just overreacting because I have not had a job in a long timeand I'm tired of not being able work and stuff, but anyone who knows me knows that I am very laid back and I never make a fuss unless someone really annoys me like my wife who buys me everything!

Reebs

Fixed. And here you go! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: !!:laugh: :laugh:

Last edited:
Fixed. And here you go! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: !!:laugh: :laugh:

If you are going to be a hater at least have some pride in the finished product.

"Maybe I am just overreacting because I have not had a jobin a long timeand"

Wtf is that? You fail.

If you are going to be a hater at least have some pride in the finished product.

"Maybe I am just overreacting because I have not had a jobin a long timeand"

Wtf is that? You fail.

:rolleyes: I don't know what you are talking about. Looks good to me. Learn to use the quote when you want to prove a point. :laugh: fail = YOU!

Back