• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3.0 liter!!! ha ha ha

i personally ran into this problem. i put my zetec final drive in my tranny and it whined like an old fire truck. diff was shimmed properly so no one thinks it was from that. if you set my svt vs. zetec final drive on top of each other the zetec was just a tad bit larger diameter. i remember bill j asking me what year my tranny was when i bought mine so it might have something to do with it. ??????

From HMS

Terry Haines said:
...need to read MY posts a bit more!
When you change the FDR you cannot just change the crownwheel....Going to a higher ratio the crownwheel diam and teeth count gets smaller..BUT you have to ALSO change the final drive PINION on the output shaft that will get BIGGER and have more teeth.The distance between the crownwheel and output shaft pinion CANNOT BE CHANGED...They are fixed by their position in the cases...Changing only the crownwheel will cause a mismatch in the gears and be tight/loose and in the end wear out both parts and grind them away..Common sense eh!..duh!!!
I've told jenkins and Co MANY times...and others,a crownwheel change on it's own WILL NOT WORK on an MTX 75...all it will do is fugg up the trans...but WTF do I know about the MTX75 eh!...Stupid people abound.

more info here also if anyone wants to read

http://www.fordcontour.org/Final-Drive-Ratio-t10078.html

Last edited:
i personally think JUST putting the SVT cams in a full 3L swap would produce the greatest power gains.

i sat down with my professor at my college and had him examine the SVT cams vs the SE cams and he immediately picked up on the staggered lobes on the SVT cams. he right away told me that the SVT cams had the potential to produce more horsepower because between the staggered lobes, the valves are held open longer by the SVT cams than the SE cams. SE cams = 3L Cams I measured personally:)

I am curious to see if the newer 3L full swap with a set of SVT cams would be able to produce better usable power for less money than putting all the SVT intake stuff on.

might try that with 99RedCSVT's 3L i will be installing over my spring break. gonna try a full oval port but would like to try the SVT cams in that setup.

we will see

Back