• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

235/45/17 tires on 5 spoke FSVT wheels?

91HellCat

CEG'er
I did a little searching and couldn't find a real answer as to whether I could have problems with rubbing or not. Any help? :shrug: I can get a set of Pirellis for free, but don't want to pay $60 to have them mounted and mess them up. Thanks.

They *should* fit from what I recall. I know they've been proven to fit with 235/40/17s on 5 spoke FSVTs no rubbing with stock ride height. I know plenty of people are rolling the 235/45/17 just none that are on FSVT wheels. But like I said, they *should* fit :laugh:

I might just try it and cross my fingers. It's hard to pass up a free set of tires, especially when they have to much tread left.

i think that's what pudmunkie is running and he has no issues.

No, pudmunkie is running 235/40/17s. You will be fine with 235/45/17's depending on your suspension. The height will be fine, but you might rub the strut with the offset of the focus SVT rims along with 8inch tires and stock struts. If you have konis or the like, then you will be fine. I ran 235/45/17's on my old SVT just fine with my OZ's that had almost exactly the same offset as FSVTs.

Hope that helps some.

ACTUALLY, THE MORE I THINK ABOUT IT, THEY WILL NOT FIT AND YOU NEED TO SHIP THOSE FREE TIRES TO ME ASAP!!!! :laugh:

Jeff

They didnt end up being free but he got them anyway and is going to have them on soon. He has a BAT kit on the car so we will see for sure soon how they fit.

They didnt end up being free but he got them anyway and is going to have them on soon. He has a BAT kit on the car so we will see for sure soon how they fit.

What he said!

EDIT: The guy gave me the tires for free afterall. They are Dunlops though, not Pirellis. Free is free in my book! They are in excellent condition with a lot of tread.

Last edited:
What he said!

EDIT: The guy gave me the tires for free afterall. They are Dunlops though, not Pirellis. Free is free in my book! They are in excellent condition with a lot of tread.
Sweet then Free is the best price ever!

i have 225-45-17 Nittos on my focus SVT wheels. they rub in the front at full turn, just a little. i moved the bracket for the AC line where it was rubbing by pushing on it inward and it quit rubbing. the sidewall profile makes a lot of difference according to the people at discount tire.

They didn't end up fitting because of the bolts in the bottom of the front struts. I had to go back with 215/45/17s. The BAT suspension doesn't leave much room for bigger tire sizes.

I am dropping it off for an alignment and camber adjustment this weekend to see if the shop can figure out anything with the clearance. Needless to say, the BAT suspension isn't making a good impression with me.

Why would anyone want to run a 235 tire on a 7 inch wheel. There is no reason, outside of racing, that this would be benifitial at all. The theory of a wider tire only works when paired with a correctly sized wheel width. If the wheel is too "skinny", the sidewalls will be pulled in arching the contact patch upward instead of being flat on the ground. Now what you are left with is is a sidewall that's not pushing the sholder of the tire down on the ground as much. What that does in terms of performance is it increases the time to load the tire in a corner therefore decreasing turn in response. 225/45 or 215/45 are much smarter choices as far as performance. 235 will surely fit, but has no feasable use on a daily driven vehicle. I use 215 for daily use, and 225 for autocross and track.

Back