• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

235/45/17 tires on 5 spoke FSVT wheels?

Why would anyone want to run a 235 tire on a 7 inch wheel. There is no reason, outside of racing, that this would be benifitial at all. The theory of a wider tire only works when paired with a correctly sized wheel width. If the wheel is too "skinny", the sidewalls will be pulled in arching the contact patch upward instead of being flat on the ground. Now what you are left with is is a sidewall that's not pushing the sholder of the tire down on the ground as much. What that does in terms of performance is it increases the time to load the tire in a corner therefore decreasing turn in response. 225/45 or 215/45 are much smarter choices as far as performance. 235 will surely fit, but has no feasable use on a daily driven vehicle. I use 215 for daily use, and 225 for autocross and track.

Because I got the 235s for free? :shrug:

wow $60 to mount, is that normal?

Yeah. There are places that will do it for 50 if you look though. It can be as cheap as free if you buy 4 new tires and you maybe threaten to kill them. The whole killing thing could be a bit unnecessary however.

i have 225's

i have 225's

I run 225/45-17s on 17" FSVT wheels (the 6 spoke version from 2004, but it's the same in every dimension as the 5 spoke). I have Yoko Avid H4S tires. Completely stock suspension and no rub, even when loaded or in tight turns.

I think 235s will be hit or miss... probably more often a "miss" than a "hit".

The 225/45-17 size is nice because it's only a hair taller overall than the stock size. This means that #1 the speedometer stays close and #2 there is a big of extra rubber, making the wheel to fender gap look good. Otherwise the car could look 'lifted'. (This pic taken from a low angle makes it look somewhat lifted, but viewed from a normal height it doesn't look that way.)

Attachments

• after2.jpg
    after2.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 0
Maybe it's the angle of the photo or something with those tires, but those FSVT wheels look tiny!! They look like 16" for some reason. :shrug:

I run 225/40ZR18's on 18" ADR wheels, stock suspension on my svt, no rubbing or issues, however when the wheel is turned all the way there is only about 1/2" clearance, so with 235's on 17's just make sure you have enough clearance to turn, especially goin over a small curb, our blazer had 275/45R20's on it and it didnt rub, but sometimes you go over a small curb in a driveway it would little bit on the pass. side.

slightly better pic

slightly better pic

Sorry, last night was crazy, so I didn't have time to take a great pic. And the weather here has been horrible, it's nasty dirty.

This is with my cell phone.

The 225/45-17 does have a little more sidewall than 215/45-17, at least visually speaking, because the width makes the sidewall more pronounced with a tad more "bulge". Also this 225/45-17 would obviously have more sidewall than 225/40-17, but that size is too short overall, leaves a huge gap between fender and tire.

My OPINION (not fact):

215/45-17 keeps your overall diameter closest to stock. But with less sidewall it might look lifted. OK looking on stock suspension, best for slightly lowered cars.

225/45-17 slightly increases your overall diameter, giving the tires a slightly meatier look and decreasing that fender gap. If you're sticking with a stock ride height, I like this look.

225/40-17 slightly decreases your overall diameter. This would look really bad on a stock suspension. If you're lowering it would be ok, BUT the Contours are geared pretty short as it is, and this will only increase your engine RPMs at a given actual speed (not indicated speed, that won't change of course). I don't like this option period.

That's my $0.02. I'd play with a tire size calculator (google those words and you'll find one at a Miata site that's quick 'n easy) and see what you like.

Attachments

• wheels.jpg
    wheels.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 0
Back