• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

13" Baer Brake Pad Replacement

Hydrargyrum

Veteran CEG'er
When I did my rear brakes last weekend, I realized the front ones need to be replaced also.

My Question: How the hell do you replace the pads on the Baer Track brakes??? I read somewhere that you remove the pins or something?

Anyone that has done this, please give me a detailed description on how to get this done. I was looking at them, and my first thought was that I had to remove both the caliper and the bracket. But there has to be an easier way...

Thanks guys. :shrug:

They're just PBR calipers. Go to any parts store and ask for '95 Mustang Cobra pads.

You just under the 2 bolts to remove the calipers, pop out the pads, compress the pistons, and put in the new ones.

They're just PBR calipers. Go to any parts store and ask for '95 Mustang Cobra pads.

You just under the 2 bolts to remove the calipers, pop out the pads, compress the pistons, and put in the new ones.

This works, but you don't even necessarily have to go that far. You can leave the caliper bolted on, but remove the retaining cross pin (usually held on by an e-clip) and rotate the caliper body up and away from the anchor bracket. The pads will come up with the caliper body, you pop them out, compress the pistons, pop the new ones in, and put it back together the same way it came apart.

Either method is far simpler to do than to describe. If you successfully did your rear brakes, the baer fronts should be a cakewalk.

once you have the wheels off, you can literally replace the pads in 10 minutes or less(time to drink a beer is included). its stupid easy.

This works, but you don't even necessarily have to go that far. You can leave the caliper bolted on, but remove the retaining cross pin (usually held on by an e-clip) and rotate the caliper body up and away from the anchor bracket. The pads will come up with the caliper body, you pop them out, compress the pistons, pop the new ones in, and put it back together the same way it came apart.

Either method is far simpler to do than to describe. If you successfully did your rear brakes, the baer fronts should be a cakewalk.

Yeah, I thought I read something like this before... The rears were a royal pain b/c of the e-brake cables being connected... The hardest part of the rears was aligning the caliper to the bracket bolt hole.

Now on to my next question. The pin on the rears was simple, had a wire securing it to the caliper, and I punched it out using a hammer and puncher pin... The front ones look totally different. On the back they look to be attached using something that looks like a washer... I guess I am one of those peeps that is visual... Anyone have pics of all of this?

Sorry guys, but I am not all that mechanically inclined. :(

the only thing holding that caliper on is ONE pin. you take the little "E" clip off the pin. then slide(sometimes have to lightly tap on it) the pin out. you can then pull up on the caliper and take it off. you'll see what i mean as soon as you take the pin out. the pads are held in the caliper by all those little tabs inside those round circles. just pry the outer pad out first, then pry the inner pad out. a medium sized flat head screwdriver will work just fine

Ha,ha,ha, this is ridiculous! I guess I had a hard time believing that the single pin holds the caliper to the bracket! How stupidly easy that was! At the same time, the thought of driving a 100+ mph and knowing that a single pin is all that stops me from near certain death kinda makes me squirmy...

That said ........... the brakes are done. Took me about 20min per side.... Unreal.

Thank you all for your help!!!!!!!!!!

Back