• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Project - Face Lift -

The crash bumper is really close to being completed. Earlier this past week I fabbed up the mounting blocks using .25" stainless bar stock and countersunk stainless bolts. I attached the stainless pieces to the inside of the aluminum bumper by bucking countersunk aluminum aircraft rivets. You can kind of see the counter sunk head in a few of the pictures.

The only fabrication that is left is to make two pieces to cap the ends. Once this is complete I'll take some photos of it mounted on the car.

I'm not very good at taking pictures of this thing. I tried different things like propping it up, flash, no flash, lights, and no lights, but the light reflects weird off of it any which way. These are the best ones I got.

DSC01585.jpg

DSC01586.jpg

DSC01581.jpg

DSC01579.jpg

I hand filed the welds on the top and bottom and spent several hours hitting the highs and lows with a hammer/dollie combo. My partner said I should polish it when I'm done, but you dont ever see it so I'm just going to sandblast it and paint it satin black.

DSC01589.jpg

DSC01588.jpg

ok, quick advice, take templates from that crash bumper for making another.

then after you mold the ST one on, pop a mold from it and make a bolt up kit for the rest of us.

I've wanted an ST bumper for a long time, and this looks like its going to actually work.

mad props man

Thanks to everyone who is following the progress and complementing/commenting in this thread. When you do custom work all day long on other peoples vehicles it sometimes becomes difficult to find the willpower to carry it over into the "after hours" and work on your own stuff. You guys have done a good job keeping my butt in gear, so thanks! :cool:

Finished the end caps up today. Just about ready to start hackin' some plastic so stay tuned.

DSC01591.jpg

DSC01590.jpg

Late!

no, you need an argon kit and the right wire, thats most of what makes a nice weld.

auto-dimming shields help a lot too.

I've read about a selective shield that only blocks the spectrum of the arc (bluish) but allows the spectrum of sodium vapor lamps through, so you can see perfectly in daylight or the light of sodium lamps, but I have no idea where you would buy these as they only existed outside the country and they are apparently no longer in use, who knows why....

no, you need an argon kit and the right wire, thats most of what makes a nice weld.

auto-dimming shields help a lot too.

No, I'm a very good welder; I'm well beyond using the right wire and argon mixture and such. I just need to have a more consistent power supply and better tools to clean the material before I weld it. I'm so used to welding dirty metal, I'd probably be incredible with clean stuff. I've been told by TIG welders who've been in the craft since the 70's that I'm something special for my age. Thanks for the advice, though. If you'd like to talk more in-depth, let's move it to PMs, I don't want to clutter the thread.:cool:

wowsers! fantastic for doing for this. Kaos had a good idea about making a mold and selling kits to all! Ha

funny, everyone used to knock the work you do, now they would all suck a fart out of your :censored: and hold it in like a bong hit. LOL. good work homes, i'm gonna be getting in touch with you this week so you can take a spin in a tuned 3L :)

funny, everyone used to knock the work you do, now they would all suck a fart out of your :censored: and hold it in like a bong hit. LOL. good work homes, i'm gonna be getting in touch with you this week so you can take a spin in a tuned 3L :)

I never did. I always liked his car. :cool:

Back