• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

You call that a port job??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those of you who did have that somebody pegged... now know better. Correct information is good.

Those who might use the REAL offending builder now know better as well.

He might not be responsible for the build, but who is responsible for the install from one car to the other?

Not trying to get in the middle, but it was more than just the port job that sucked.

Those of you who did have that somebody pegged... now know better. Correct information is good.

Those who might use the REAL offending builder now know better as well.
wow I finally get someone to see my point here Thank you Jim. Now about the other things that weren't good or "sucked" Lets make a new thread about it why dont we:shrug:? I am sorry but The info given in the original post was extremely incorrect I chose to speak my peace and let the correct info be known. The thread is about the porting of the engine and nothing more than that.

I helped pull said motor from the car. Everythig about that motor/trans was BS! Everything was done half ass. Missing hardware in the trans bellhousing,wrong bolts, wrong length bolts and much more. It was really coll seeing bolts an inch too long buried into the block and nowhere near touching the bellhousing.

To the individual that "installed" the motor......you are a HACK! There are enough of us that saw it first hand, there is no excuse for :censored::censored::censored::censored:ing over people like this.

Hey Tony,
Why don't you just tell him how you really feel.

I've been under the hood of Seans car, nuff said

Last edited:
I've been under the hood of Seans car, nuff said

Whatever the case may be with the car Josh has, there was a lot wrong on my install.

Adam and I found a metal clip wedged in one of the intake ports, a bolt in some hose on the firewall (the specific one escapes me right now), far too much metal taken out of one of the engine mounts, the pressure plate had strange/bad wear (a section was not even touched), the ring gear on the flywheel had teeth missing (from the hard starting issue), the IAC never worked right (CEL), the TB standoff pin (holds the TB plate open a bit) had been moved so the car idled at near 1500 rpm until it was ground down (plus the TB cable had been smashed in the TB, could not be removed), the car never started right (really bad when cold, killed a battery halfway through the winter), 130 psi compression in one cylinder (rest were between 210~220), shift cables were not adjusted so I had a hard time finding gears sometimes, fourth gear was so far off I couldn't get into it from fifth, the suspension was looser than a stripper at a frat party, bolts missing from the bell housing, improper bolts used all around or missing, the coil pack was held on the front valve cover bolt by one corner and moved with the slightest touch, the brakes went out three days after I got it (master cylinder went bad, I had put less than 100 miles on it), and a few other things I cannot remember at the moment. There were a few things I knew about before I got the car, like the paint being crap and the cracked windshield, but that's stuff I can deal with. However this car got this way is irrelevant, it should not have been put back together like that. I did not like getting stuck places for fifteen minutes trying to get the POS to start, constant backfire on deceleration, having to leave 20 minutes early to make sure I wasn't late to work because the car wouldn't start the first, second, or tenth time I tried to get it to turn over, or generally not trusting much on the car. Now I have spend a ton of money to get it back in working order, but as I said, it should have never gone anywhere in the state that it was in.

Here are some pics of what I am talking about:

Engine Mount, obviously new left, old right
img2396i.jpg

img2397q.jpg

The knot of weld used for an EGR delete:
img2972q.jpg

The clip we found in the port, that is the port we found it in on the right of the clip
img2961k.jpg

I am not trying to make enemies (though I am sure I won't be too popular with a couple of people), but after the amount of time, effort, frustration, and moreover money that has been spent on this car, I think people should know what's up. I don't know who did this to the car or how it got that way. I don't care about the circumstances, but it makes someone or some people look really bad.

Whatever the case may be with the car Josh has, there was a lot wrong on my install.

Adam and I found a metal clip wedged in one of the intake ports, a bolt in some hose on the firewall (the specific one escapes me right now), far too much metal taken out of one of the engine mounts, the pressure plate had strange/bad wear (a section was not even touched), the ring gear on the flywheel had teeth missing (from the hard starting issue), the IAC never worked right (CEL), the TB standoff pin (holds the TB plate open a bit) had been moved so the car idled at near 1500 rpm until it was ground down (plus the TB cable had been smashed in the TB, could not be removed), the car never started right (really bad when cold, killed a battery halfway through the winter), 130 psi compression in one cylinder (rest were between 210~220), shift cables were not adjusted so I had a hard time finding gears sometimes, fourth gear was so far off I couldn't get into it from fifth, the suspension was looser than a stripper at a frat party, bolts missing from the bell housing, improper bolts used all around or missing, the coil pack was held on the front valve cover bolt by one corner and moved with the slightest touch, the brakes went out three days after I got it (master cylinder went bad, I had put less than 100 miles on it), and a few other things I cannot remember at the moment. There were a few things I knew about before I got the car, like the paint being crap and the cracked windshield, but that's stuff I can deal with. However this car got this way is irrelevant, it should not have been put back together like that. I did not like getting stuck places for fifteen minutes trying to get the POS to start, constant backfire on deceleration, having to leave 20 minutes early to make sure I wasn't late to work because the car wouldn't start the first, second, or tenth time I tried to get it to turn over, or generally not trusting much on the car. Now I have spend a ton of money to get it back in working order, but as I said, it should have never gone anywhere in the state that it was in.

Here are some pics of what I am talking about:

Engine Mount, obviously new left, old right
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/1266/img2396i.jpg
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/1627/img2397q.jpg
The knot of weld used for an EGR delete:
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/1954/img2972q.jpg
The clip we found in the port, that is the port we found it in on the right of the clip
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/6236/img2961k.jpg

I am not trying to make enemies (though I am sure I won't be too popular with a couple of people), but after the amount of time, effort, frustration, and moreover money that has been spent on this car, I think people should know what's up. I don't know who did this to the car or how it got that way. I don't care about the circumstances, but it makes someone or some people look really bad.
i can tell you what 2 of the 3 things pictured are............ They were reused from the first 3l that went out meaning the motor mount and the egr bs. The clip however I have no clue. Now If I thought the car was full of issues more than what I told you about I really doubt I would have hopped in it and drove it all the way to chicago. I hope you honestly believe that everyone elses comments about it I could care less but I am an honest person and I would never sell someone something I knew was a total POS without saying hey man its a POS lol.

I didn't know the swap had been done on the cheap, nor did I know about all the starting issues. I knew the car was not in great shape, but I didn't know about the CEL either. Had I known that I was going to have to spend time and more money tracking down and fixing engine, wiring, and other miscellaneous issues, I would have looked elsewhere. Admittedly I have no recourse, and I did know about some issues, just not how bad somethings were. Like I said, I don't care about the paint, I knew the suspension wasn't going to be great (though I didn't know it was going to be that bad), and I knew there were some tune issues. I also understand that you needed to get rid of the thing and I needed a car so I could get the job I have now. What's done is done, I just wanted to document some of the issues since the car was brought up in this thread several times. It's a case of shoulda, woulda, coulda, and it happened several months ago.

However, my point still stands, the job should have been done right the first time. There is no reason that engine mount should have been reused, that pigeon sh*t EGR delete as well, and all the other shoddy work that went into the car from the first build should have been fixed.

Holy hell batman, where is the rest of that mount! Yikes :eek:...... I'm suprized that didn't twist apart:nonono:.

Nah, I think there the same I think, the other one just got more paint cause it was pewtercoated at higher degrees...

Last edited:
Holy crap that engine mount is junk! :shocked: Wow, just wow........ I know I gave Tony crap about my SVT being filthy, but other than that, I have to say the car was pretty mechanically sound compared to this stuff. I'm glad I bought mine from him What a mess.:nonono: If I ever buy another SVT i'll be sure to go over it with a fine tooth comb to make sure I don't encounter anything like the previous examples. Yikes!:help:

wow I finally get someone to see my point here Thank you Jim. Now about the other things that weren't good or "sucked" Lets make a new thread about it why dont we:shrug:? I am sorry but The info given in the original post was extremely incorrect I chose to speak my peace and let the correct info be known. The thread is about the porting of the engine and nothing more than that.

How about lets not and say we did? The point here is that the work was BS! Who in there right mind does this crap???? The motor install was FUBAR. Wrong hardware lengths,cross threaded fasteners,didn't we find SAE stuff buried into metric threads? I would have loved to see the installer and you try to defend this HALF ASS BUTCHER WORK in person as we pulled the motor and dug deeper into it. Karma's a :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: I hope it bites you both in the ass!

Here's the entire gripe summed up I think. The original work might not have been done great or correctly :shrug: BUT the last hands that were in these cars, before they were sold to people in our area, should have either fixed the problem areas or told the new owners what they were getting because the original owners had to know obviously by the pictures shown and by the depth of mechanics they had to do on them before selling.

The fact that either car actually drove here is irrelevant. Hand delivering the cars forces the new buyers to finish the transaction. It is wierd that both cars in question here were driven by the owners to our area for the sale and were not physically seen before the final sale took place.

Different situations that all lead to the same point as the cars mentioned in this thread:

-Long ago I tried to sell a Saturn that was burning oil very bad. It would smoke for the first 10 minutes of driving the car. If I knew someone was coming to test drive it I would make sure I got a 10 minute drive in before they showed up to get rid of the smoke and to hide the fact that it was a bad motor. It was wrong of me and I ended up trading it in and not selling it.

-My first car had such horrible brakes and they would grind (because the pad was gone) and I had no $ to pay to fix it and was in high school. I would spray WD-40 on the squeeling rotor when someone would test drive that car when we put it up for sale. I figured that they had 3 other brakes that were working just fine, so who cares, right? wrong

^^^^that is the mentality I am seeing with both these deals "hide what you can to make the deal".

Here's the entire gripe summed up I think. The original work might not have been done great or correctly :shrug: BUT the last hands that were in these cars, before they were sold to people in our area, should have either fixed the problem areas or told the new owners what they were getting because the original owners had to know obviously by the pictures shown and by the depth of mechanics they had to do on them before selling.

The fact that either car actually drove here is irrelevant. Hand delivering the cars forces the new buyers to finish the transaction. It is wierd that both cars in question here were driven by the owners to our area for the sale and were not physically seen before the final sale took place.

Different situations that all lead to the same point as the cars mentioned in this thread:

-Long ago I tried to sell a Saturn that was burning oil very bad. It would smoke for the first 10 minutes of driving the car. If I knew someone was coming to test drive it I would make sure I got a 10 minute drive in before they showed up to get rid of the smoke and to hide the fact that it was a bad motor. It was wrong of me and I ended up trading it in and not selling it.

-My first car had such horrible brakes and they would grind (because the pad was gone) and I had no $ to pay to fix it and was in high school. I would spray WD-40 on the squeeling rotor when someone would test drive that car when we put it up for sale. I figured that they had 3 other brakes that were working just fine, so who cares, right? wrong

^^^^that is the mentality I am seeing with both these deals "hide what you can to make the deal".
joe you might want to check some of your info as well i delivered my car yes but pretty sure newsvt picked his up after he flew south to get it.

How about lets not and say we did? The point here is that the work was BS! Who in there right mind does this crap???? The motor install was FUBAR. Wrong hardware lengths,cross threaded fasteners,didn't we find SAE stuff buried into metric threads? I would have loved to see the installer and you try to defend this HALF ASS BUTCHER WORK in person as we pulled the motor and dug deeper into it. Karma's a :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: I hope it bites you both in the ass!
i had no hand in the damn car pole has so you sir can just STFU and I hope more than Karma bites you in the ass you ass hole. I also didnt have a part in building my car either never have built a 3l car so I honestly know nothing more than what I read here.................. If you guys want to have a :censored::censored::censored::censored:ing pissing match then take it up with who you should be and thats not me. Just do it in the right place and make sure your facts are straight b4 you guys do so.

i had no hand in the damn car pole has so you sir can just STFU and I hope more than Karma bites you in the ass you ass hole. I also didnt have a part in building my car either never have built a 3l car so I honestly know nothing more than what I read here.................. If you guys want to have a :censored::censored::censored::censored:ing pissing match then take it up with who you should be and thats not me. Just do it in the right place and make sure your facts are straight b4 you guys do so.

Far be it for me to try and calm down the situation, but, what most people on here were keying in on is the shoddy piss poor work. Until you started and kept on chiming in defending the car, most of us had no idea who did anything with the car. If you honestly feel that you had nothing to do with the quality of work and that you were not qualified to second guess the quality of work, then that's all you have to say. Just be upfront and say, "I didn't know, I'm sorry. How can I make this up to you?" Then you would warn people never to do business with whomever did such a hack job. Also, if it were me, I would be calling the people up who did the hack job and seeing to it that they realized how much the :censored::censored::censored::censored:ed up.

joe you might want to check some of your info as well i delivered my car yes but pretty sure newsvt picked his up after he flew south to get it.

Thank you for clearing it up. This was just what I was told, no hard feelings just trying to sum up how these guys feel about their cars and tried to relate it to something I have encountered. See ya at SZ!

Thank you for clearing it up. This was just what I was told, no hard feelings just trying to sum up how these guys feel about their cars and tried to relate it to something I have encountered. See ya at SZ!
see ya when you get here man:cool:

wow all i can say is that its the buyers duty to inspect the car prior to purchase. Sucks but live and learn.

You're supposed to pull the UIM and LIM before purchasing a car? That's what the problem was with Josh's car. A lot of stuff revealed itself once he tore the thing apart.

Many of the problem that I had with my car were not immediately apparent as well. Though you'll notice I never asked any of my money back, did not specifically say that I thought I got screwed on the deal, etc.

What I was trying to get across, and I suspect Josh was too, was that these cars should not have been put back together the way they were. There is no excuse to use an engine mount like the one that was in my car. There is no excuse leaving the port job the way that it was on Josh's car. It was clear to see the valleys were not cut nearly deep enough, so why not just finish the job? When someone starts leaving out some bolts here and there, like in the bell housing, swapping metric with SAE bit, reusing :censored::censored::censored::censored:e parts, and so on, it shows that they either don't know how to do the job correctly or that they don't care to do the job right the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back