• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New 3.0 arrives tuesday

I do, but I did not need the 2.5 coil pack, so it went in the "taurus crap" pile. I'd had an intermitant misfire with that coil anyways, hence my decision to use the taurus one. besides, taurus stuff is far more common, so it's a smart move in my eyes.

I will just buy another taurus coil. I was trying to get one from here first because I perfer soing personal transactions rather than dealing with potentially shady recyclers or e-bay.

if nobody has one here, oh well. just would have thought thered be alot laying around.

I'll make a WTB thread in a bit here I suppose.

OKie Dokie, it's all put tegether, waiting on the coil pack to come and then it will go in. didn't take tooo long, for me at least, with no help, no air tools, and using the scissor jack because my floor jack went to crap.

picies:

timing wheel flipped
img6537edited.jpg

Shot with Canon PowerShot SD400 at 2009-05-17

the new heads
img6536edited.jpg

Shot with Canon PowerShot SD400 at 2009-05-18

img6535edited.jpg

does this look like a good use for those loose grounds on the taurus engines?
img6544.jpg

img6544.jpg

02 coolant crossover and metal 2.5l DPFE swapped on
img6542edited.jpg

img6542edited.jpg

front bank done
img6543edited.jpg

Shot at 2009-05-18

the money shot
img6541edited.jpg

back bank with new and improved EGR pipe, w00t
img6550edited.jpg

not a lot of pics, but at least I remembered to take a few

damn, these two refused to load, pic limit?

coolant pipe and DPFE
img6542edited.jpg

Shot at 2009-05-18

img6542edited.jpg

coilpack bracket grounded with spare grounds
img6544.jpg

Shot at 2009-05-18

[edit]

PS: will the taurus EVAP line mate to the contour? the one in my contour has a hole burned in it and tape on it.....

oh, and this is what I did to my coil pack

img6545edited.jpg

Shot with Canon PowerShot SD400 at 2009-05-17
img6544.jpg

yeah, those are on the "after I save for a new crib and a torsen" list.

a home and a car that takes me to work without leaving a trail of transmission parts are more important to me than a car that sounds wicked.

do want some eventually though, I might gut these later and get some mil eliminators in the mean time though, but I dont see it as that hard to pull the headers in the car...

i think they are all the same, just slightly different looking physically. the plugs should be the same. i have a contour one i can sell you, and i might have an 04 taurus one too. either will work IIRC

thanks bro, but I already ordered one for 40 shipped from e-bay.

I know the contour one has a different plug than the taurus one, and I also know the vulcan one takes the contour type plug wires rather than the taurus duratec type.

i have a taurus one and a contour one here, plug is the same. you just have to take the bracket off the taurus one to make it work on teh contour. they are the same coil pack all in all i think...... but if you got one, sweet :)

the one from my 2.5 and the one from my 02 taurus are definitely different.

the contour one has a larger more oval shaped signal connector, and the taurus one has a smaller rectangular one. the 2.5 plug wires have little clips that attach to a little lip on the posts, and the 02 3.0 on just has plug wires that slip on smooth towers.

I've seen vulcan ones on e-bay and they appear to be much more like the 2.5 one, possibly interchangeable without mods, but the 02 taurus one requires the taurus wires and the signal plug to be spliced in.

my cam battery is dead right now, but once it charges I'll take comparrison pictures to make the differences more obvious.

I wonder if your taurus engine had an older style coilpack on it? it does sort of seem like when it comes to a taurus ignition system they just went all willy nilly with cop on some 00's and coils on others, then coils on 01-03, even though theres a place for cop, then cop on 05's....

I hate to beat a dead horse.... but like the women always ask you, is it in yet?

Cmon, you got a long weekend here. At least you will have it all put together and ready when you get that coil pack. Then you wont have to worry about breaking another one while you are trying to get the engine in.

isn't it a huge pita to put a coil on there with the engine in? I only have a screw driver with a torx end that fits the screws, didn't think there was room for it in there with the fire wall.

Not sure about the 3.0 coil but i always have to take off the 2.5 to get the engine in or out.

go to the parts store, and spend a buck on a torx socket, or a buck on some bolts. Take your pick, save yourself future problems, and make life easier on yourself for once with your build.

bump

well the uim is on now, that was a huge pita. I'd left it in the car because I couldn't get the throttle cable barrel to come out of the plastic wheel, but good lord, the finishing adjustments to the egr where sadistic with it in the car.

also got all the vac, PAS, and coolant lines hooked up, most of the electronics, the front mount on, and almost finnished the back mount.

got stuck there though, damn thing is refusing to line up so I can shove the center bolt through it. I spent a good bit of time trying to muscle the engine back and forth with the two bolts for the front mount loose, then I got a jack and tried jacking the front up and muscling it around, none of thios was successful so I finally went crazy for a second and then decided to give it a break till the morning.

any suggestions on how you guys have gotten this right would be awesome. it's a pole mount btw too. the soft ones would let me slide the center bolt through, then twist it around enough to get the bolts to the subframe in. that would never happen with this one.

Back