• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New 3.0 arrives tuesday

NPG fuel block with the stock 02 fuel rail.

MAF is 2.5 SE

TB is un-modded 02 3.0 with fab'd up bracket.

injectors are the grey taurus ones

tune is an NPG base tune from joey

------------------------------------------------------------------

I know the 2.5 one isnt right, but it is sealed up to the openings right, I filled the empty space around the inlet and outlet ports on the 2.5 IAC with bondo, cut that flat with a razor, then permatex'd the original 2.5 gasket to that surface, then bolted it on. it's not leaking, it's just not right, it's running open too often. that or it's on backwards, idk. I will say the engine tends to hang at a higher RPM when I first let off the throttle, which isn't right, and seems IAC related.

how does making a spacer for the 05 IAC so the cylinderical part of it will clear the 02 uim sound? will the 05 one work right?

I have also wondered, since the IAC works a lot like a speaker, if by swapping the wires (reversing the phase), one could be mounted 180 degrees from it's intended orientation? just a thought I had. IDK

Explain why you are not using the IAC that goes with the UIM? I am running an 04 long block, with 04 UIM and 04 IAC with no problems. I had problems previously, but that was probably due to an error in the old tune (it was a different engine too). I have no problem bolting the 04 IAC on correctly.

ok, just re-drove it after clearing the dtc's, and the 0353 is gone too now, no check engine light, but it's still pig rich on both banks, I'm going to say that is because of having the wrong IAC on there right now, right?

so it looks as though fixing the IAC situation should have me good to go.

or am I jumping to conclusions?

Explain why you are not using the IAC that goes with the UIM? I am running an 04 long block, with 04 UIM and 04 IAC with no problems. I had problems previously, but that was probably due to an error in the old tune (it was a different engine too). I have no problem bolting the 04 IAC on correctly.

for some ridiculous reason the first motor didn't come with an IAC...

the 05 did, but the UIM was too different for me to want to spend a bunch of time re working the egr, vac lines, sensor wiring ect, so I stuck with my 02 one and bolted the 05 IAC onto it.

upon starting it I discovered that the 05 IAC was hitting on the uim making a massive vac leak. this might have even caused some of the earlier codes, I hadn't even thought about that untill now.

so for the quick and dirty I threw the 2.5 one on because I knew it basically worked enough to make sure the engine was ok.

now the time has come to either get an 02 IAC or make a riser plate so this one will clear my uim.

quick question though, do you guys thing a IAC overspeed and the resulting fuel trim adjustments will ruin the engine? or is it pretty driveable now?

[edit] he man, remember this thread?: http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=37199&highlight=3.0+IAC

well as I was re-reading it, I realized that my 02 UIM uses thew IAC mounted like the 2.5 one, in fact, the IAC for it looks almost exactly like the 2.5 one I have on there.

your 04 is like the 05 one I have, and faces the opposite way. this is why the 05 3.0 IAC I have wont bolt onto my UIM in the right direction.

so now I ask, what is the big difference from the 01-03 3.0 IAC and the 2.5 one?

they face the same way and look the same, I'm guessing the openings in them are different, but aside from that, why would my 2.5 IAC be running open so often that it's causing the engine to go pig rich from the exess air?

HEY Kaos, I've got left over 02 taurus stuff if you need them, IAC,EGR, injectors, fuel rail, TPS, Throttle body. Intake manifold. lemme know

your better off running all the 05 stuff. the IAC will not give you a rich code, but it will screw with your idle and your throttle let-off.

I know I'm better off with the 05 stuff, but right now, the car drives, and it needs to take me to work. performance isn't at the top of my agenda right now.

I also dont have rich codes, I have lean codes, forcing the ecu to go full rich with the fuel trim.

BTW, made a spacer for the 05 one today, and it's throwing the same codes.

plenty of people have driven these around pig rich for extended periods of time, but I'd like all the cels gone so I can get a new tag (my inspection has been out for over a year)

how does the ecu determine theres an IAC overspeed? is it based purely on the lean condition of a vac leak, or is it dependent on feedback from the IAC circuit?

GT, how much for the IAC?

will you please post a picture of the intake manifold and the IAC and its position.

if you have the wrong IAC, it wont work. i'll show you why.

you need the IAC made for that intake manifold.

SVT IAC will not seal up against anything but an aluminum UIM

01-03 will work only on these years, with the plug facing toward the throttle body

04/05 plug faces the passenger side of the car.

if you have these backward, you will have a high idle, lean condition, and IAC overspeed.

I know I'm better off with the 05 stuff, but right now, the car drives, and it needs to take me to work. performance isn't at the top of my agenda right now.

I also dont have rich codes, I have lean codes, forcing the ecu to go full rich with the fuel trim.

BTW, made a spacer for the 05 one today, and it's throwing the same codes.

plenty of people have driven these around pig rich for extended periods of time, but I'd like all the cels gone so I can get a new tag (my inspection has been out for over a year)

how does the ecu determine theres an IAC overspeed? is it based purely on the lean condition of a vac leak, or is it dependent on feedback from the IAC circuit?

GT, how much for the IAC?

oh man, whatever shipping would be for the IAC, its only got 36,000 miles on it. how does 10 bucks sound? just PM me

will you please post a picture of the intake manifold and the IAC and its position.

if you have the wrong IAC, it wont work. i'll show you why.

you need the IAC made for that intake manifold.

SVT IAC will not seal up against anything but an aluminum UIM

01-03 will work only on these years, with the plug facing toward the throttle body

04/05 plug faces the passenger side of the car.

if you have these backward, you will have a high idle, lean condition, and IAC overspeed.

yeah bro, I know how they work. I'll take a pic of some "adaptations" I've used to use the wrong IAC's on here, haha, all are ghetto, but do seal, and do put the corresponding IAC in the right orientation. something interesting I noticed is that the 2.5 one's natural (not under a charge) possition is open. havent pulled the 05 one off to see if it is the same. if it is, my problem might just be no signal at the connection.

I'll call you tomorrow afternoon if your gunna be around

GT2SVT said:
oh man, whatever shipping would be for the IAC, its only got 36,000 miles on it. how does 10 bucks sound? just PM me

sounds perfect, thanks man, pm sent

[edit] just had a silly thought, what if the idle adjustment screw is set wrong? I havent looked at it, but this setup has been doing the same thing since I got it...

well....

it WAS the idle adjustment!!!

why on earth somebody had the idle at almost 2k rpms? we may never know...

the 02 engine had a lot of little quirks, the wiring harness was fubar'd, the oil looked sort of red for some reason, it was missing the IAC, for what I'm beginning to believe, it might have had a bad bearing from the start.

we will never know, but the place it came from looked pretty janky, and it was an as-is engine.

I'm a lot happier with the way this engine arrived, and I'm even happier now that it's only throwing the silly p1000!

you guys think I should still go ahead and get the right IAC for the sake of not being janky? the 05 is currently fitted atop a gasket/spacer cut from a 4x4 tire side wall, and a lot of ultra-black :nonono:

next stop? better tune and a torsen!

Back