• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New 3.0 arrives tuesday

oh, forgot to ask, will the evap line from the taurus work on the contour?

I burned a hole in the contour one and it has tape on it. it works fine, but looks janky if you really look down in there.

also, the coolant pipe between the heads is different on the 04, can I use it? or do I have to swap on the other one? I ask because I've seen them break and leave a disaster to remove from the front head.

and last but not least, I'm using the 02 valve coves and intakes to save time, so it looks like I have to get that black box out from the middle of the 02 and put were that filler plate is on the 04 for the pcv? is that very hard?

any other little nuances like that I need to know between the 04 and the 02?

thanks guys

why wouldn't you just use the whole 04 engine? wiring up the cop doesnt take much time or cost anything, that way you can keep the revised pcv. you might as well use the 04 intake as well. I have always used the 2.5 coolant x over in the in my 04-05 engines.

why wouldn't you just use the whole 04 engine? wiring up the cop doesnt take much time or cost anything, that way you can keep the revised pcv. you might as well use the 04 intake as well. I have always used the 2.5 coolant x over in the in my 04-05 engines.

because I believe this guy...

turbo_fox said:
People always try to change 10 things "while they have it apart", so when you get it back together you have no clue why it doesnt work. just like when yours didnt run, you changed 1) engine 2) resistor hack 3) injectors 4) injector connectors 5) coil pack 6) coil pack wiring. You see why you had so much trouble figuring out what you did wrong.

If I were you, I would have changed the engine only. than when it started and ran, I would have gone back to change the coil. made sure it ran. order a tune and swapped the injectors, made sure it ran.

I now have all the little fiddley bits involved in the full 02 swap sorted, so if all I change is the one broken part, the long block, it should work just like it did, minus the rod knock.

I need it to have been working like back in october of last year honestly, thats when my lack of funds started killing my situation, so no, I cant afford to have it down while I play games with COP, that for that matter, other people with running cars cant really seem to get sorted. when somebody does an inductance test on the coils to figure out if the pairs shound be paralel or series I will then create and install a cop harness on her, with a plug so it will plug into my existing 02 taurus coil connection.

I also plan to use the newer uim at some point, but now is not the time.

as for the big honkin aluminum valve covers, they will not find their way onto my engine. the revised pcv isn't really of interest to me, and I find them to be pretty uckin fugly.

hardy har har

the hold up is it's been raining here for the last four days, and I also have a big transaction on e-bay pending for a 75 masi gran criterium that I've been preparing for (acquiring packaging, answering several questions a day)

but the 04 is stipped down, and sitting on a makeshift platform. the 02 in the car is partially taken apart, and chained to the cherry picker.

the 04 has the bushing cut and the tabs cut, so litterally all it needs is the front cover, timing wheel, and valve covers. need the old engine out to do that, and it's been garbage outside.

also, the same crap weather keeping me inside, is also making my yard go insane, and since all three of my mowers have taken seriouse craps, I currently have a yard ticket. this isn't just me though, about five of the seven houses on my street have grass over a foot tall. spring+RAIN=FAIL...

hardy har har

the hold up is it's been raining here for the last four days, and I also have a big transaction on e-bay pending for a 75 masi gran criterium that I've been preparing for (acquiring packaging, answering several questions a day)

but the 04 is stipped down, and sitting on a makeshift platform. the 02 in the car is partially taken apart, and chained to the cherry picker.

the 04 has the bushing cut and the tabs cut, so litterally all it needs is the front cover, timing wheel, and valve covers. need the old engine out to do that, and it's been garbage outside.

also, the same crap weather keeping me inside, is also making my yard go insane, and since all three of my mowers have taken seriouse craps, I currently have a yard ticket. this isn't just me though, about five of the seven houses on my street have grass over a foot tall. spring+RAIN=FAIL...

We are just starting to get green grass. :laugh:

our yard already looks pretty good. not much rain here, we need more. we have about 20 extra feet of yard because the lake is sooooo low.

anyhow.... i agree kaos you should just swap it in the way it is and get it running, upgrades will happen fast. last year my engine looked like garby-garb but now its sexy as all hell, and any small running issues that i encountered were tackled one by one and now its rock solid. good luck with this one mang.

Fug it bust out the rain gear and get the motor out. Dampened spirits will soon be overcame with joy when you get the motor swap complete and it runs again.

I wish I lived closer to you like an hour away..I'd bust out a garbage bag and wear that and pull that :censored::censored::censored::censored:ing thing out!

Fug it bust out the rain gear and get the motor out. Dampened spirits will soon be overcame with joy when you get the motor swap complete and it runs again.

I wish I lived closer to you like an hour away..I'd bust out a garbage bag and wear that and pull that :censored::censored::censored::censored:ing thing out!
lmao garbage bag pancho's FTW!

But he wouldn't cut a hole for his head.

roflmfao, omg

I remember me and my bro-in-law trying to force a 360 big block (fe) into a damned 86 f100 in the rain, the poor little dude was literally sitting on the crossmember, and I was standing on one leg of the cherry picker, trying to keep it from pitching over in the mud, as he was welding some steel to the fire wall where we had gone nuts on it with a sledge hammer to get the manifolds to clear. everything was so slippery, I think I was more afraid than he was. 800+ pounds of engine and trans above your head while you weld is a bit insane.:nonono:

Since I am sure you are used to hearing this by now.... IS IT IN YET???

Oh yeah, and I wasn't able to find that SCT badge. I looked through my stuff and no luck. Maybe I will check through my kids' closet sometime, but yeah sorry.

thanks for looking man.

Its a good way from in, but I do have the 2.5 out, that took one day, so hopefully things will come together much faster this time.

had a dumb arse moment today though, didn't think about the taurus coil being taller, so I failed to remove the wiper shroud. this resulted in plug points 1 and 2 being broken off the coil, so now I need another one.

I imagine with everybody going COP that there must be plenty of them around here for cheap though.

[edit]

learned a good thing too though, the passenger side cv circlip really does just tap right out, never tried because its about impossible to hit it with anything with the y-pipe there, but since I pulled that off early on today, I saved some time there not having to take the jack shaft bracket off to wiggle jack shaft out.

it has been submerged in a bucket at this point. besides, I'm not trying to solder the harness there a third time.

I've found buckets to make poor part storage devices with no garage or even awning to place them under....

looks like mosh has one up for 40 though, so that is good, waiting on his reply

I hope this one goes well and runs for a long time for you... then you won't have to make any more depressing posts and you can just lurk around.

oh dear, that could blow. wasn't listed as sold so I figured he still had it.

hope fully we're talking about different coils.

if that fails, what chance of a jy coil working do you think I have?

.... I guess I have never had a problem with leaving my parts out in the rain... even when I dont have a garage. I rebuild engines in my kitchen when I can't do it outside. You're a young single guy, why dont you have room inside your house?

Back