• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Ticking

elraido

I kant speel
Really not hoping it is what I think it is. A month ago or so, I started noticing a slight ticking sound coming from the engine. Tried to hear where it was coming from and it sort of sounded like the injector area. Just figured it was noisy injectors or noisy lifters. Sound increased directly with the reving of the engine, but it didn't get louder and once I hit around 3K rpms it was gone.

Today, it is nice outside (around 30ish), stop to get gas on my way home for lunch. I get 91 nonethonal gas and continue on my way....about 4-5 miles home. Eat lunch, start the car to head back and I notice that the ticking is louder now. :help:

Oil level is good....about 3-4 K miles since the last oil change....5W-30 Amsoil Full Synthetic.....air fuel ratio is fine....power seems to be there....full 3.0 with around 25K miles on it. And I don't beat on the engine either.

Could be your IMRC - mine went crazy and I thought it was the engine, yanked the IMRC and the noise went away. Your 3K and gone comment makes me think IMRC...

Could be a loose or bad plug also. Make sure all are tight, wires good and if you haven't replaced plugs in a while that would be advised. Normally you'd get a CEL for this but not always.

Could be a loose or bad plug also. Make sure all are tight, wires good and if you haven't replaced plugs in a while that would be advised. Normally you'd get a CEL for this but not always.

I know Pud placed new plugs in the engine when he installed it. But I will double check all of them.

I know Pud placed new plugs in the engine when he installed it. But I will double check all of them.

Inspect those wires carefully. Remove each one and re-seat it - make sure you feel the 'click'. Start the car in the dark with the hood up. See if there's any spark visible.

A nick in one of my plug wires drove me insane once upon a time... The spark was arcing onto the intake manifold and/or valve cover. :mad:

The plug wire in the back middle doesn't want to snap onto the plug very well, so it is knocking around in the plug hole.....causing a "ticking" sound. When I move the boot, it stops. So at least it isn't rod knock! The grease in the plug wire is dirty, so I am going to wait for it to cool down more and remove the plug to see what it looks like....should be fine. Can I sort of crimp boot a bit so the connector inside of it fits better?

Get new wires instead of trying to fix those. They are probably approaching the end of their life cycle.

Scared the :censored::censored::censored::censored: out of me with this post lmao!

Back