• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Gas-Tank Swap questions...

1fastfucus

CEG'er
Well I ended up with a crack in my gas tank right by the strap. Ive been calling around to junk yards looking for a gas tank. What years/models/engine-sizes are able to be swaped?

1998 Contour SVT (build 7-97)

Also, ive been asked a couple times what part number tank I have. I just got the tank down 2night and dont see any numbers stamped or stickers on it. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

thanks much!

-Rick

I believe you need one from a 98 or older .... if you search around there are some posts talking about SVT exhausts and the gas tank. It may have been that 98s where unique but I don't recall right now. what I do remember is the 98 SVT exhaust has a different bend around the gas tank because of its different shape.

one thing to keep in mind is that I heard the gas tank straps are no longer available. be careful removing them.

the straps can be found on Rockauto.com

Where are you located? around my area, there are all sorts of donors to liberate a tank from.

the straps can be found on Rockauto.com

Where are you located? around my area, there are all sorts of donors to liberate a tank from.

Strongsville, ohio

I found a 99 and a 00 both 2.5s (different tank, right?) The 98 I found actually had a crack in the tank worse than mine. It looked like it was from a fork-lift arm when it was being moved.

My straps are good.

Anyone have any more input on what year tank I should be looking for? I do have the return fuel system.

Thanks!!

-Rick

I just looked on Team Ford parts website. According to that, there are 3 different models.

Cars made before 2/2/98
Cars made after 2/2/98
Cars made after 5/3/99

If you were closer, I could get one and bring it over but I'm not going that way anytime soon that I know of. They go for about $30 around here and I could ship it maybe?

I believe you need one from a 98 or older .... if you search around there are some posts talking about SVT exhausts and the gas tank. It may have been that 98s where unique but I don't recall right now. what I do remember is the 98 SVT exhaust has a different bend around the gas tank because of its different shape.

Wish I would have known about that before I tried to put an svt exhaust on my 2000 SE yesterday. I don't what year the svt was that it came off of, 98 I think, but it ran right up on the gas tank. I'm interested to see what has been said about this before. I already did a quick search of this and didn't come up with much. /thread jack/ will post picks of my svt exhaust install shortly.

EDIT: Bottom line is there are definitely a couple versions of the gas tank. As a result there are a couople versions of the SVT exhausts that bend around each tank. I did find some mention of it in the old forums. http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...d=allposts&Main=243917&Search=true#Post243952
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...d=allposts&Main=243875&Search=true#Post243875

Last edited:
search for a post by hotdimmes, he took a pick of his stock exhaust on top of a 98 SVT exhaust which showed how they where shaped differently

search for a post by hotdimmes, he took a pick of his stock exhaust on top of a 98 SVT exhaust which showed how they where shaped differently

Thanks, I just looked at that. That's ok, like I said in my other thread, everything worked out and got fixed the right way. Maybe now I can say that I have a custom exhaust on my SE instead of an SVT exhaust :laugh:.

I went through the svt exhaust - different fuel tank problem.

I took pics of my 98.5 stock exhaust vs. the 98 SVT exhaust I tried putting on. You can see the difference in bends:

DSC00321smaller.jpg

Rubbing:
DSC00334smaller.jpg

DSC00331smaller.jpg

Back