• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Looking at 8" Subs for rear deck install, need help please

I've got a set of 8" Audiobahn subs I've been planning to do the exact same thing with. Post pictures when you do the install, I'd love to see how you do them.

I just bought a little 6" 7Kv.2 Subwoofer from Elemental Designs because they're closing them out. I don't know how to read technical, so I don't know if they're good for free air, but I'm going to do a sealed box under the rear deck. Not bad for $37.50.

The specs you provided definitely suggest it is a bad option for free-air, and not an ideal option for sealed. It does appear to be a good candidate for a ported enclosure though, based on these statements from the MTX Education section of their website:

Infinite baffle: Look for speakers where the Qts is greater than .6, (yours is .29) and a Vas lower than the volume available (not a problem) when selecting a woofer for an infinite baffle system.

Sealed: When selecting a woofer for a sealed enclosure, look for Qts to be between .3 and .9, (again, yours is .29) with a low Fs (below 40Hz) (no problem, yours is 28Hz) .

Vented: When selecting a woofer for a vented enclosure, look for speakers with a Qts in the range of .1 to .40, (again, yours is .29) as well as a relatively low Fs (30-40 Hz) (no problem, yours is 28Hz).

Blue thunder!
img

Wow, haven't heard of those in a long time.

I still have one upstairs in my attic, plays great, just waiting till the daughter wants a sub in her VW. :laugh: Wonder if a 37 year old Beetle generator could handle an amp. :idea::laugh:

oh, and about the Blue Thunder subs.... the new ones in the pics on here are ok... but the original ones from the late 1980's - early 1990's with the blue cone were awesome. I loved those subs.

oh, and about the Blue Thunder subs.... the new ones in the pics on here are ok... but the original ones from the late 1980's - early 1990's with the blue cone were awesome. I loved those subs.

What do you think of the MTX's and the box I posted a link to?

So, would I be better off with a sealed system, ported, or free air? I don't care if they are 6" or 8", I just want a properly built system. If anyone thinks I should change the size and recommend what type of enclosure to build, I would look into it.

So, would I be better off with a sealed system, ported, or free air? I don't care if they are 6" or 8", I just want a properly built system. If anyone thinks I should change the size and recommend what type of enclosure to build, I would look into it.

I personally think a free air system looks better, and it would be easier to install than messing with rigging up a box onto it. A pic from when Pud was selling the car
DSC02123.jpg

You know you modify everything so why not do something like this

1z15kq0.jpg

Thanks for starting this thread, Joe...I plan to do something very similar this spring. :) So what's the final verdict? Is there a sub that is good enough to go free-air on the rear deck or should a box be built around it?

Hypothetically speaking, if you had an infinite baffle setup in your car with the rear deck mount sub, would having a ton of crap in your trunk make your system sound worse by reducing the volume of your "box" and maybe absorbing waves of some sort that I don't actually know about?

dtour, I am trying to get the stuff out of the trunk, not add more :nonono:. It all boils down to getting the MTXs then. Best bang for the buck and has the potential to be really good as a free air speaker setup in the rear deck. I better get to work on this, not much time until SZ :eek:.

I will tell you this, you will most likely get some rattle from the rear deck if you have too much bass back there. Sometimes, in my car, there is none (mainly rock/punk music) but other times you notice it (i.e. rap). So, don't expect too much bass (like a set of 10's or 12's in the trunk....it does however add very well to the overall depth.

That sounds good. Wasn't looking for "boom-boom", just hard hitting and powerful, something like my '03 impala's stock setup, just a tad bigger.

No. I was going to go pretty extreme with a steel box welded, powder coated, mounting plate, etc.... which are you referring to?

Back