• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

speed limiter

Mine cuts out at 112. Consider, however, that your top speed despite the limiter on a stock Zetec tour is probably drag limited to somewhere not much higher. You would almost definitely hit the drag (ie, wind resistance) limit before redline in top gear with MTX or ATX. Only very powerful cars will ever see redline in top gear, and I can assure you a Zetec contour is not among them.

My point is, the money you spend to remove the limiter will only buy you a few more mph. Seems to me it would be better spent on improving the low and mid-range power, instead of the top speed thats only attainable at the track anyway.

I've disconnected the battery in the past (when ever i do this it messes up all the sensors an it takes about fifty miles before the computer accurately registers how fast the car is going. and I've got the 97 zetec I have up to 145 at dragway 42 in west salem ohio. I only get about 5 passes and the computer starts working again and the governor kicks back in. By the way the 145 isn't in a 1/4 mile either it's about 1 1/2 miles distance from the edge of front pit to as far as the track will let me go before I got to brake (total of 2 miles give or take a couple of yards.)

I've disconnected the battery in the past (when ever i do this it messes up all the sensors an it takes about fifty miles before the computer accurately registers how fast the car is going. and I've got the 97 zetec I have up to 145 at dragway 42 in west salem ohio. I only get about 5 passes and the computer starts working again and the governor kicks back in. By the way the 145 isn't in a 1/4 mile either it's about 1 1/2 miles distance from the edge of front pit to as far as the track will let me go before I got to brake (total of 2 miles give or take a couple of yards.)

I'm sorry but that makes no sense what so ever ... the govener doesn't magically just start and stop working .... Also I doubt a zetec has enough power to hit 143 like a SVT ... I think kremit only was able to get to 125 with his zetec ....

I was waiting for someone to jump on that.. I don't think a zetec has the power to hit 145 (stock anyways)... I beleive hector hit about that in his ATX, but wasn't he at like 7200-7300 rpm!? (i know there different ratios but hector had alot more power, too.)

yea 145 in a zetec, no way, not unless it had some mad mods done to it, you would have be running about 15 psi of boost to even maybe think that with our cars, not only that, i hope your running tires that can handle that kind of speed, most tires are only rated for what our cars cut out at...

If I were you, I'd get an xcal2. They are about $300-350 and are better than just a chip. You can do basic modifications on your own. Adjust Timing and other fun stuff.

I think most people have gotten theirs from Brent at Brenspeed. Shoot him an email with your PCM code.

The real cool thing is that in the future you could buy the Pro Race software to completely modify your tune.

HTH,
BP

Just so all you Zetec guys know, I can tune ALL contours now with the new software.
http://www.nautilusperformance.com

Joey and I will be happy to help you out and we understand these cars pretty well.

I hit 145 mutiple times with my Contour......with the supercharger before I sold it. Right about 7500 rpms.:help: Don't think it would have gone any faster without more boost and a new head set up to rev.:drool:

With some mods, including header......only 125ish. Definitely power limited.

Last edited:
i tried to cheat my way past 110, doesnt work too well, the engine cuts out and the wind slows you down too fast to go any faster haha.

Last edited:
It pulled a bit, Being an ATX the chip actually firmed up the shifts which gave me a bit more.

Last edited:
Mine cuts out at 112. Consider, however, that your top speed despite the limiter on a stock Zetec tour is probably drag limited to somewhere not much higher. You would almost definitely hit the drag (ie, wind resistance) limit before redline in top gear with MTX or ATX. Only very powerful cars will ever see redline in top gear, and I can assure you a Zetec contour is not among them.

My point is, the money you spend to remove the limiter will only buy you a few more mph. Seems to me it would be better spent on improving the low and mid-range power, instead of the top speed thats only attainable at the track anyway.
You'd be surprised the speeds a midly modded atx zetec can reach if given enough room and time at 4am on an interstate. The speedo doesn't go high enough.

I think kremit only was able to get to 125 with his zetec ....
According to the main site, 124 is redline in third gear with the atx. I took it to that (speedo showing roughly the same) and went to overdrive and it kept going till 130 which it was still pulling decent but I stopped. It's possible I was on a slight down hill with a tail wind but it ain't exactly hilly round here and I don't recall it being windy that morning so any environmental factors were small.
At 120 it felt like it wouldn't go any further but I stayed in it for a while and it finally started pulling again. I know there is a lot of nay sayers about it and I wouldn't believe it myself if I hadn't done it. Doesn't matter much anyways since it ain't something you can do too often because it takes miles and miles and miles.

Back