• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

speed limiter

alot stuff is flying around in here. maybe the chips have gotten better but I had used chips in the past and junk them they did firm up the shifts in the atx but none could defeat the speed limiter. after doing my mods I finally went for a dyno tune to rewrite the whole factory program by a well known ford tuner in my area, i had to jump in on a dyno tune day when he was doing mustangs, and a turbo t-bird. he did alot to the motor, changed tourqe converter lockup, shift points etc, but had one hell of a time defeating the factory speed limiter, and told me he could see why off the shelfers couldn't do it, in fact he said he could 3 contours in a row and one of the 3 may not take right away, it took 2 times to get mine. you need a dyno tune or some tyoe of tuner but a plug in chip wont do it.

that said I couldn't get much more north off 135mph now sweaking 2-3mph out at that speed comes down to road conditions, wind, temps, engine temps, blowing up the motor from rpms etc. and just plain running outta gear. I think the mtx may have a taller top end gear not sure. tell you the truth I don't really care at this point tried it a couple of times now I'm done. The svt stock has a couple more horses annd again the mtx.Given the room to strech I still don't think a zetec is going to go faster top speed than a V6 tour even bone stock w/o a speed limiter or slightly modded just don't see it the car having the coins to do it but I like to be proven wrong:laugh: .

butttt, I don't believe getting even close or over the 140mph mark with a stock zetec. I can't even with my mods in a V6. plus these speedo's aren't worth a crap once you start going up that high anyway.

Last edited:
alot stuff is flying around in here. maybe the chips have gotten better but I had used chips in the past and junk them they did firm up the shifts in the atx but none could defeat the speed limiter. after doing my mods I finally went for a dyno tune to rewrite the whole factory program by a well known ford tuner in my area, i had to jump in on a dyno tune day when he was doing mustangs, and a turbo t-bird. he did alot to the motor, changed tourqe converter lockup, shift points etc, but had one hell of a time defeating the factory speed limiter, and told me he could see why off the shelfers couldn't do it, in fact he said he could 3 contours in a row and one of the 3 may not take right away, it took 2 times to get mine. you need a dyno tune or some tyoe of tuner but a plug in chip wont do it.
It depends on some things. I had a superchip reprogrammed by KKM with the normal off the shelf superchip program. I made sure to ask if it would remove the speed limiter. They said yes and it worked. Not sure if they had to go in and make sure the speed limiter was off or not. I heard of other people with different ECU codes having trouble getting it removed.

Though xcal2 is better choice, guaranteed to remove the speed limiter (if you want) or just change it.

I figured stuff would have changed, i had my stuff done 3yrs ago and alot the programers weren't even out yet. It's nice having choices now.

An SVT is drag limited to 140ish mph. This is with better aerodynamics and 75 more HP.
A zetec is limited to about 120ish mph, even with the speed limiter removed.
Unless you have added major HP there's no chance of going over 130mph.
Saying that your speedo read 130 or whatever means NOTHING.
Past 80 mph, the error on the speedo starts to come into play.
Add to that the fact the age of the sensors on the car and that you most likely have a different tire diameter than the original factory tire, and the error increases more.

Saying that your speedo read 130 or whatever means NOTHING.
That's true (and I was running stock size tires at the time, doubt it would have done it on 17"s). But I know I had my car up to atleast 125. 3rd gear in the auto tops at 124 and I topped it out and from there the car definitely gained speed. It may have only been 126 or 128 but when the speedo topped out, it was still pulling but I stopped. I'm sure I was on a slight down hill and had a slight tail wind to help but it reached it nonetheless.

Things like the rated ~143 for the svt are based on exact conditions. Factor in less weight, a little more power (especially if the intake or exhaust is real restrictive, your air flow demand is gonna be most at these long, high speed runs), terrain, wind, etc. and things change a bit.

Back