• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

$7 plastic clip = performance

i just wanted to explore the issue because ive seen it done to my friends v8 sho and it did wonders, but i now realise it wont do much good to our cars.

Leaving them open did wonders?
yes,on the v8 sho they're worthless. the original manifold was a larger version of the 2.5 duratec..but for whatever reason,during ford's detuning of the 3.4 they went to a single runner uim,w/a split port lim?!?! so they're in the way more than anything. removing them and a tune are the two best bang for the buck mods you can do

Last edited:
ahh..kirk. done buisness w/him before. did he remove the secondaries,or just pin them?

btw,what are people paying for the plastic clips for the secondaries? local dealership said the were 6.95 a piece:blackeye: i'm not even sure it was the right part number,they looked too big

I don't get why people complain about the prices of these clips. Yes, a little pricey for a plastic clip, but come on, $14 total for a repair? What's the problem? :shrug:

DSC00518.jpg

DSC00519.jpg

Here is a $3.00 solution from Advance Autoparts. This door clip was mentioned in thread I found in a search. Mine has been installed for several weeks. The correct one to use is obvious.

well... huh. I never saw that before... but it makes sense. I'm guessing you just cut and shaped the yellow one?

well... huh. I never saw that before... but it makes sense. I'm guessing you just cut and shaped the yellow one?

No, actually the yellow clip is just right out of the package. I joust pushed it into the lever and pushed in the arm until the arm wouldn't come back out. The arm can be pushed in too far I think but as pictured it works fine.

lets put one and one together here folks. its obvious(to me atleast) that the package is opened,he said he didn't modify anything(thats one and one)so the obvious answer would be????anyone?...the one on his car came from the opened package and required no modification because it fits perfectly,the picture of the box was posted for sake of reference,since it has a part number on it:shrug:
not being a jackass...just having some fun:laugh:

Gotcha. You're saying the yellow one still in the box might not be the one he actually used. Thats a very good point.

what clip

what clip

what clip are yall guys talking about i own a 98 contour svt and im not sure what you are talking about.
thanks

LOL..... how about a little foresight here folks... I went to the JY found a v6 removed the clips, got some other stuff there too, and when I checked out they didn't even care about the clips = free. Now they sit in a little drawer waiting for the day they will need to be used. Not a big deal unless yours break and you don't have a set handy..... LOL :laugh:

Oh ya since I got them out w/o breaking them they were still in good shape and not brittle. The added benefit is I now know how to get to them and change them.... all FREE!

It isn't rocket science here... With all the issues you can have with these cars getting a few little extra parts here and there and putting them away before you need them is a smart idea..... don't you think..... :cool:

Peruse the forums read the issues and if there is a simple fix for something that most likely will occur sometime be prepared for it, then it doesn't turn into a big hassle when it happens. Here's another clue your clock light bulb will burn out sometime too. (that's in another drawer also free)

AF

Back