• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

$7 plastic clip = performance

Con2er

CEG'er
I went a long time dreading the replacement of the plastic clip that holds the secondaries bar in place. I was reading thru here about Throttle body removal/upper intake manifold. So I left my forward bank open all the time while the other open and closed thru the IMRC. The clip that I was missing was on the rear secondaries closest to the firewall so I knew it might be impossible but I did it. I replaced it by only taking off the intake accordion and filter box. I almost dropped it several time one time I did drop it and it landed on the spring but I managed to get fingers from both hands back there and pick it back up and eventually put it in place. I guess there are 2 points to this story. I shouldn't have waited this long and sometimes things aren't as complicated as you first assume. Also (third point I guess) I can actually feel the difference there is definitely a bit more torque now and the engine note seems more aggressive before the secondaries open.

Probably the majority of the ire generated by car owners towards their cars is because of not fixing a problem right away which then results in other problems. It's good that you learned a valuable lesson. Probably the wisest slogan a commercial ever had was Fram's "you can pay me now or pay me (more) later," 'more' being implied :cool:
Karl

b/c they get brittle and break...to the left of me is my actuator rod,and no,the car isn't to the left of me:laugh: :blackeye:

I didn't know what they rod was for when i first got the car. so i just left it unhooked. i put a clip in it and it became a whole new car to me. like the OP i kept dropping the clip. good thing i had a bunch of spares.

slight bucking when its cold...rough idle ...no tq

by "no torque" he means that the car is a DOG below 3200/3750 (normal/WOT, respectively).

I would NOT call a pinned or stuck open set of plates "minor" driveability, but to each their own..

How would it piss gas? The gas comes out of the injector and there's only 1 injector. The open secondary tube would just provide a different airflow causing the mixture to be spread out more below the actual opening RPM on that particular bank that is open.

How would it piss gas? The gas comes out of the injector and there's only 1 injector. The open secondary tube would just provide a different airflow causing the mixture to be spread out more below the actual opening RPM on that particular bank that is open.

only way that I can see it using more fuel is if the pcm knows its getting more air then it will add more fuel.

but with them open you loose power as the engine is most likely going lean hence the bucking etc. the ignition advance does change when the secondaries open ...

I suppose it may be getting slightly more air in the bank that is stuck open all the time but the other bank would be closed at low rpms. So it would only be getting 1/2 as much more air as when the are supposed to be open.

I haven't felt secondaries kick in for over 2 years now. :laugh:

My IMRC continues to be stuck open even after replacing it 3 times, ECU swap, replacement linkage grommets, and oh yeah, a 3L swap. :blackeye:

Back