• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

duratec automatic transmission problem

sportracer

CEG'er
Ok I have a 1998 w/ a 2.5 automatic. Heres the problem, No matter what gear i put it in, I can still turn the axles freely. Whats going on? I had the transaxle out and broke to of the bellhousing mounting tabs so I got a new bellhousing and I dont think I moved anything on the inside, could it be that the axles are not all the way in? Or do I have to take the tranny back out?

Yes the shifter is hooked up, and shifts fine. But no matter what gear it is in on the shifter the axles still turn. Im not sure what it is and would like to get an idea before I take it to a tranny shop and have it fix. If it is something simple i might do it myself and save alot of $$.

It's only a problem if the axles turn while in PARK. Otherwise, you're just spinning the differential and it's normal for both wheels to turn (in opposite directions) while both wheels are off the ground.

Steve

it rolls on the ground while in Park, Reverse and drive. I think it has to be the differential not engaging. Let me know if it is, hopefully it wont be to much to fix.

how does it drive? does first and reverse actually work? it sounds like they are not engaging. park engages 2 gears at the same time, 1st and reverse. along with a parking pawl.

sorry to say it but i think you might need a new tranny, cant tell for sure without actually driving it though.

Im still trying to get it to start. ounce i get that to happen I hope to figure out the tranny problem, so for now I am going to have to keep it in neutral, hopefully this wont cause any more problems.

Get it figured out yet? I'm thinkin' (hoping) you've got a linkage problem. If the problem is internal, it's not sounding good.

Its at ford right now I should know tomorrow if they got it started yet, Hope it is only the key, and hope everything works otherwise I guess the tranny has to come back out.

The driver side driveshaft can be a real PITA to get it back in. Took me several attemps and at the end, had to loosed the strut nut to get a better angle. It was pretty hard coming out too. The C clip at the end is sometimes a little too big and gets hung up in the spines of the dirf.

Back