• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Tires!

Dont go for the Kumhos. I had them for a year and a half and had to get new ones. And I put like 10,000 miles on them in that time period. I only use the car as a DD too. Sure I enjoy driving my car, but for the most part Im taking it easy. They were a huge waste of money for me.

Which Kumhos are you dealing with? And are they wearing evenly or is your alignment out of spec?

I was seriously considering a set until I noticed the SPT was the same price and beat it in every test category. Though right now you get $50 back with a set of 4.

I was seriously considering a set until I noticed the SPT was the same price and beat it in every test category. Though right now you get $50 back with a set of 4.
they were always a good priced tire from what I saw at least in the 19's but depending on the size our running you might have more options. For a budget priced tire though they are great tires.

I had 225/50 Kumhos Ecsta 711's on my E1's. I don't think that any place sells them anymore but they were a great budget tire in my opinion if you can find them. They came on the car, and I replaced the front two after about 16,000 miles due to camber issues. Now, I have the front two with about 2,000 miles on them and the rears with 18,000 and I can't tell the difference. They gave great dry traction, decent wet traction, and NO snow traction. They are also a good looking directional tire.

The Jettas and New Beetles with the sport suspension and factory 17's have goofy camber in the rear, so I've gone through some tires on that too. I had a set of Kumho Ecsta ASX and they had great traction but treadwear SUCKED especially for a tire the is rated at 420AA. Also, they became very noisy, but part of that was due to Discount Tire improperly balancing them.

I have a set of 215/45 :nonono: General Exclaim UHP's on my FSVT wheels and I was happy with them for the few hundred miles that I put on them before putting the car into storage. I just had a new set of 225/45 General Exclaim UHP's put on my Jetta this week and I'm still breaking those in. They are much quieter, that is for sure. Our region automotive manager at work has a set on his Jag X-Type 3.0 and he absolutely loves them.

I had 225/50 Kumhos Ecsta 711's on my E1's. I don't think that any place sells them anymore but they were a great budget tire in my opinion if you can find them. They came on the car, and I replaced the front two after about 16,000 miles due to camber issues. Now, I have the front two with about 2,000 miles on them and the rears with 18,000 and I can't tell the difference. They gave great dry traction, decent wet traction, and NO snow traction. They are also a good looking directional tire.

The Jettas and New Beetles with the sport suspension and factory 17's have goofy camber in the rear, so I've gone through some tires on that too. I had a set of Kumho Ecsta ASX and they had great traction but treadwear SUCKED especially for a tire the is rated at 420AA. Also, they became very noisy, but part of that was due to Discount Tire improperly balancing them.

I have a set of 215/45 :nonono: General Exclaim UHP's on my FSVT wheels and I was happy with them for the few hundred miles that I put on them before putting the car into storage. I just had a new set of 225/45 General Exclaim UHP's put on my Jetta this week and I'm still breaking those in. They are much quieter, that is for sure. Our region automotive manager at work has a set on his Jag X-Type 3.0 and he absolutely loves them.
wonder where those tires came from:cool:

I had 225/50 Kumhos Ecsta 711's on my E1's. I don't think that any place sells them anymore but they were a great budget tire in my opinion if you can find them.

They were discontinued years ago so even if you found a set I wouldnt want to use an old stock tire.

Years ago huh? Then why could you still buy them at Discount Tire and tirerack until the middle of last year? They might have been discontinued A year ago...

hey, another guy with the ASX. any clue what the X stands for in the name?

I like 'em but then again they are the most expensive tire I've driven on.

Years ago huh? Then why could you still buy them at Discount Tire and tirerack until the middle of last year? They might have been discontinued A year ago...

Its been at least 2 years since they made the 711 and 712 tires. You can tell they've been gone a while because only the tire clearance websites still list them in a few sizes. I remember the tirerack deals when they were both being phased out by the SPT and ASX.

hey, another guy with the ASX. any clue what the X stands for in the name?

I like 'em but then again they are the most expensive tire I've driven on.

According to the Tirerack ad in the Automobile Magazine I have in my hands- "All Season Extreme." They're ok, nothing special, but I'm too cheap to spend $600+ on tires.

I live in very dry area and decided on the Falken Azenis RT-615 (225/40-18). The other one I was thinking about was the Goodyear F1 all-weather, due to the ratings. But the shining reviews of the Falkens swayed me. They don't have much tread wear, but should last about a year, and I got them for $135 per tire :cool:
Bingo! If it's performance you're after, stop getting distracted by the other tires and just get a set of Falken Azenis RT-615's. I'll be running those until another a better street tire comes out (and isn't way more expensive). They aren't that expensive (though more than the older RT-215's)... and after you have them mounted and drive around, you won't even think about those other make/models of tires.

I'm running Kumho SPT's on both my Lexus and the SVT and I gotta say they are an amazing tire for the money. They grip amazing, comfort level is great, and a very quiet tire. They have handled great in the rain so far, which is not always the case with a summer only tire.

I bought mine from Discount Tire Direct and I'm sure this deal is gone, but they run specials all the time, so check them out:

DiscountTireDirect.jpg

Yeah they are a great tire and usually quite a bargain. I plan on getting them when I need them, although I may just run the set of RT-215s on my other set of rims for a while just for kicks.

I'm running Kumho SPT's on both my Lexus and the SVT and I gotta say they are an amazing tire for the money. They grip amazing, comfort level is great, and a very quiet tire. They have handled great in the rain so far, which is not always the case with a summer only tire.

I bought mine from Discount Tire Direct and I'm sure this deal is gone, but they run specials all the time, so check them out:

DiscountTireDirect.jpg

dude, that is a sick price

I paid 129 for a 215/40/17 AST mounted and ballanced. with that price I could have probably kept the whole deal under a 100.

Why the hell would you only run a 215/40-17 on a Contique? 215/45 is too small in my opinion. And...my 225/45 General Exclaim UHP's that I just got (that are rated better than the SPT) were only $80/tire from Tirerack.

Why the hell would you only run a 215/40-17 on a Contique? 215/45 is too small in my opinion. And...my 225/45 General Exclaim UHP's that I just got (that are rated better than the SPT) were only $80/tire from Tirerack.

Why order a weird size like that though when you can get the 225/50? Or is that a more normal size in a 17?

Back