• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

FSVT Front Calipers -or- Warmongers Kit on CSVT -HELP-

From the reading I did before deciding to both, people who had just done the front said that the car felt a little loose and after adding the rear upgrade it felt more compliant and stable during braking.
There should be only a small difference between the full fsvt swap and npg upgrade.

Very good point. Lot's of good feedback on this tread.

I just have the front kit and that is all that I wanted to do. The car didn't feel loose at all, but then I get 90% of my braking done before the corner. For me the bias was no big deal on the track at all. Normal everyday driving there was also zero difference.

Although I never experienced any problems or felt any squirlishness when I had completed the front Warmonger kit by itself (in fact the brakes were a huge improvement over the originals) I did feel still better braking and increased stableness from installing the rears.

In my mind it was worth it.

Also, the larger rear rotor LOOKS much better on the car.

From the reading I did before deciding to both, people who had just done the front said that the car felt a little loose and after adding the rear upgrade it felt more compliant and stable during braking.
There should be only a small difference between the full fsvt swap and npg upgrade.

Now are you referring to Warmongers (NPG) kit or just installing the FSVT calipers/brackets? ...when/if you say "KIT" or "SETUP" etc. please please mention WHICH setup or upgrade you are talking about.

Very good point. Lot's of good feedback on this tread.

I just have the front kit and that is all that I wanted to do. The car didn't feel loose at all, but then I get 90% of my braking done before the corner. For me the bias was no big deal on the track at all. Normal everyday driving there was also zero difference.

Copy/Paste: Now are you referring to Warmongers (NPG) kit or just installing the FSVT calipers/brackets? ...when/if you say "KIT" or "SETUP" etc. please PLEASE mention WHICH setup or upgrade you are talking about.

Now are you referring to Warmongers (NPG) kit or just installing the FSVT calipers/brackets? ...when/if you say "KIT" or "SETUP" etc. please please mention WHICH setup or upgrade you are talking about.
What I was trying to say is that there is no big difference between doing a full FSVT front swap, compared to doing the NPG front brake upgrade as far as braking performance goes. They both use the same rotor, but the FSVT has a bigger pad as I understand it.
If you opt for either of those options, you should (according to what I have read here) notice an improvement in handling under brakes if you go ahead and install the NPG rear upgrade (irrespective of which option you choose for the front).
I have the full NPG upgrade (front and rear) and am very happy with the way the car feels.

I am considering the same question here, the only thing leaning me towards the Focus calipers is the pad selection for the Focus as compared to an E0 contour caliper.

You are correct. I hadn't looked at the sizing in awhile, and had them reversed in my mind.

You probably already knew this but I will go ahead and post for others: The FSVT caliper bore is 23mm and the CSVT is 25mm. So in review,

Focus SVT master 23mm --->caliper is 54mm
Contour SVT master 25mm --->caliper is 60mm

Focus SVT has a MORE firm pedal over the Contour SVT....

If we take a 25mm piston and push a 54mm piston instead of 60mm, the pedal will come in sooner (smaller piston) but will have less force (again smaller piston). The end result *should* be a hint of a softer pedal -if any.

I have not accounted for the rear of either car to then see if the above still holds true ( X-diagonal or Side-to-Side system. Bigger or smaller bores etc.) ..Im searching for the specs now

What I was trying to say is that there is no big difference between doing a full FSVT front swap, compared to doing the NPG front brake upgrade as far as braking performance goes. They both use the same rotor, but the FSVT has a bigger pad as I understand it.
If you opt for either of those options, you should (according to what I have read here) notice an improvement in handling under brakes if you go ahead and install the NPG rear upgrade (irrespective of which option you choose for the front).
I have the full NPG upgrade (front and rear) and am very happy with the way the car feels.

Ok gotcha 100% now! ...reminder though, I do have an E0 so the pad area is deeper on the rotor vs the E1 but doesn't cover as long (lengthwise) ...if that makes any sense? ...that may not even matter though, because as I remember reading the bias is from the centerline of the pad ...confused yet, i am lol :crazy:

Ok, here are the rear specs:

The Focus SVT has a rear caliper bore of 34mm
The Contour SVT has a rear caliper bore of 35mm

Both Contours and Focus have a diagonally split system.

Well I ordered the longer bracket bolts (*W500443*S426) so when they arrived yesterday I sought out to find a single 4mm washer. Well, turns out I found a U-Bolt washer floating around the shop and although it was a little too large, I felt I was on to something here....in more research I found that a 7/16" U-Bolt washer slides just perfectly onto the bolt and it is 3.64mm thick.

Some people say 3mm while others say 4mm is what you need. Anyone care to advise?

Some people say 3mm while others say 4mm is what you need. Anyone care to advise?

Either will work fine because of the movement range built into the sliding caliper. When we originally sorted out the swap, Shaggy put them on his car first, and measured the offset needed and he came up with 3mm, and that's what many folks have used. Recently someone else ( don't recall who) remeasured on thier own car for centering the caliper, and came up with 4mm needed. It's easy to have that much variation between two different cars all with different parts and different mileage. So, again, either 3 or 4mm spacers would work fine. For mine, I used two AN-spec hardened washers at 1.5 mm thick each for each mounting bolt. I would recommend using hardened washers, and if you don't, recheck the torque on the bolts on a regular basis to ensure nothing comes loose due to any washer "crushing".

...either 3 or 4mm spacers would work fine. For mine, I used two AN-spec hardened washers at 1.5 mm thick each for each mounting bolt. I would recommend using hardened washers, and if you don't, recheck the torque on the bolts on a regular basis to ensure nothing comes loose due to any washer "crushing".
Nice! Well the washers I have are u-bolt grade-8 washers measuring 3.64mm. So that puts me just about smack-dab in the middle of 3 and 4.

I'm getting closer...

Back